Color and registration help, 1 month old colt...more pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mima Acres

Reaction score
This is Smokey. He was born May 5. He's out of my palomino and the sire is smokey black. I was thinking he is smokey black but his mane and tail color is so light. I know you can't really tell for sure without testing and it's not that important for me to know but I'm just curious and was hoping for some color guesses from those with more color knowledge than myself.

Thanks!

e090472a.jpg

af16fda6.jpg

9278ff32.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful pictures. Do you have photo of the sire? The lightness of his mane/tail suggests silver, so I'll bet he's a smoky silver black. Could have a cream gene and a silver gene on black. Dam could be hiding silver.

Or could the mare be carrying silver? Either way...I was looking at silver smokey black foals and he fits the bill...Very nice
default_smile.png

Oops....You beat me to it ;)

Thanks! Could be SILVER smokey black, I didn't even think of that. That sounds right. My mares sire is a silver buckskin.

If you had him tested, I'd say defintely silver. Silver Dilution is a dominant trait. This means, in order to inherit the trait, a horse requires only one parent to carry and pass on the gene. The Silver Dilution gene will only alter black pigmented horses (Ee or EE) and has no effect on red pigmented horses (ee). The Silver Dilution gene dilutes areas of black pigment. And the effects are certainly interesting, diluting black to chocolate, or what can appear as a dun to a smoky gray. You're going to see more changes as he matures!

Lovely, lovely mare, too!

If you had him tested, I'd say defintely silver. Silver Dilution is a dominant trait. This means, in order to inherit the trait, a horse requires only one parent to carry and pass on the gene. The Silver Dilution gene will only alter black pigmented horses (Ee or EE) and has no effect on red pigmented horses (ee). The Silver Dilution gene dilutes areas of black pigment. And the effects are certainly interesting, diluting black to chocolate, or what can appear as a dun to a smoky gray. You're going to see more changes as he matures!

Lovely, lovely mare, too!
Thank you! Miniature horses come in such a beautiful variety of colors. I look forward to watching him grow, he's got a sweet temperament like his mom and I think he's going be a really nice gelding
default_smile.png

I don't think he is Silver I think he may be Brown base + Flaxen. There is a test for Brown but not Flaxen. Dam could have provided the Agouti....

He's still covered in brown baby fuzz but he is starting to shed a little bit around his muzzle and eyes and it's looking darker underneath. Just curious if this the color he most likely will turn out?

787c5a1f.jpg

8698028e.jpg

Sorry, no idea about the colour, but just wanted to say that it is lovely to see some up to date pictures of him - he such a handsome little man!
default_yes.gif

What a gorgeous little chunky chops, mum's milk must be real good
default_smile.png
it looks like he will change colour and go darker, I can't wait to see
default_smile.png

default_new_rofl.gif
HAHA chunky chops! Thanks, yes he is a chunky boy!
default_yes.gif

I want to fill out his paperwork for AMHA and AMHR and wondering what color to select. I've never done this before...he certainly looks brown although he's maybe silver smokey black??? Any advice on what to select? Here's another current picture, hopefully you can see his coloring ok.

Also I noticed on AMHA that it's $10 for geldings at any age. So can I just wait until he's gelded, which I'm planning anyway. I'm not sure when to have him gelded. Does anyone know how much it would or if it would effect how tall he grows. I'm thinking he'll mature right near the 34" he can be AMHA/AMHR. I know I can't be sure he won't outgrow AMHA but I'd like to increase the odds if possible...

09de82e1.jpg

Check with the registries, but when you make his papers permanent at 3 (?) could you change the color then if you no longer agree with what you initially put down?

Check with the registries, but when you make his papers permanent at 3 (?) could you change the color then if you no longer agree with what you initially put down?
Good to know. Thanks
default_smile.png

Silvers change seasonally so he might not always be that dark.

AMHR charges for color changes regardless of age or papers being updated.

Jane - flaxen has no effect on black base colors and brown is a black base color.

Back