Colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyborFarm

Reaction score
Has anyone had a horse the coliced recently? My one horse coliced yesterday and Im not sure why. She was fine when she was let out of the barn in the morning, nothing was unsual exctep that she drank from the water tub about 30mins after she'd been out of her stall. It wasnt untill about 11:30 when my sister's fiancee made a comment about her being too tired after rolling. It looked like she'd been rolling for a while. So I did the walking in circles for over an hour and gave her banimine (vet's orders) and she was fine. Could it have been the change in weather that caused it? This was the first time she'd coliced since we've had her, aprox 7 years now. Has anyone else had this?

I'm to new at owning mini's to give you an answer, but just bumping this up. I would like to know if the weather can cause it, too. This is my first fall as a mini owner...

The season's changing and temps can and will effect some horses more than others. I always watch my kids closely when it happens. Good for you that you caught it early. Usually those types of colic are minimal and easily fixed with banamine and lovely walk.

Many years ago before I had heated waterers, I would seem to always have one horse that colicked just when the weather turned cold (different one each year just to keep things interesting, sigh). I guess that they wouldn't drink enough from the cold trough, and colic.

I would always have the vet rush out and tube them and give them banamine, and they would be fine. My vet told me that it was quite common for abrupt weather changes to cause mild colics.

I hope that your mare will be just fine!

She's doing lovely. She acutally bit me today and got wacked upside the muzzle for that. It hurt. She acts as if nothing happened. Im waiting for something from my guy again. He has a stomach ulcer that acts up during weather changes.

I lost my 10 month old mini to colic last winter, December 23, 2005. He was perfectly fine the night before then the next morning I went out to feed and he was down and would't get up. He was colicing on a Wednesday and died on a Friday (he died on his own). We aren't sure what caused it. But the vet said it looked like he ruptured an intestine. I would advise you to keep an eye her for a few days. My little guy seemed to be improving on the 2nd day or so and then later that night is when he started getting really bad again. So even if she is acting ok, keep an eye on her for a few days, just to be sure. I hope she recovers 100%!
default_yes.gif
: Good luck, you have my prayers!
default_yes.gif
:

I've had two mares with mild colic over the past few weeks, and we've gotten cold weather at night and warm during the day. Had the vet out for the first mare, and she said the colder temps at night change the enviroment, and even cause changes in the pasture grass. She said that can cause colic, and it may affect one horse one year and never again, or a different horse each year, or not any.

Both mares were fine after some Banamine & walking (they had gas colic), but I sure worry when it happens!

This is a good reminder to make sure we are stocked up with Mineral Oil, 60 cc syringes (and/or the gravy baster), and banamine. Often with a "funny tummy" that's all that is needed to head off a full-blown colic.

And this is the time of year when most "funny tummies" occur!

MA

I had a horse a few years ago that did this one summer when a big thunder storm came in the barometric pressures and all changed. I also caught it right away, and with some banamine, he was absolutely fine. I also babysat a mare for a friend on vacation the following year and was warned that sometimes when a summer time storm blew in, she would do that!! She didnt while at my house, but seems they can do this due to weather change!

We usually have a VERY dry climate here- like 110 to 115 degrees in summer but only 8 to 15% humidity. We whine when it goes up to 25 or 30%!! So when the storms come in, and the weather does a quick change (which can happen with no notice and very quickly) we have had a couple of times that this happened.

I have also heard that weather changes can cause colic, but I also full moon's. We

also just had a full moon. I always try to really watch our horses during weather changes

and even in full moon's. I don't know why on the full moon. But it comes from a very good

source. The man who owns and runs the pet cemetery, says let there be a full moon, and his

work load doubles to triples. So watch your horses on full moon's. He says to cut back on feed

during this time. I took his advice.

Vicky

Vicky that is SO true!!

We have just had the most spectacular Full Moon- a real "werewolf moon" if ever I saw one- Hunters Moon is the correct term but my dog class was CRAZY- there was no talking to the dogs and the people were not much better!

Lunatic Folks, comes from the word "Lunar" with good reason.

Did you look at her wrong?

I swear a horse can colic just from that....the old saying of "healthy as a horse"...who the heck that of that? Nothing could be farther from the truth, they are such sensitive animals when it comes to health.

Glad she is ok, keep an eye on her.

My week is going to be getting busier watching them. The weather is calling for snow showers in the night time from Friday untill Sunday! Its too early for snow here in New Hampshire!! :no: Just as long as I dont have to walk anybody when the snow comes up to my knees then I'll be fine. If the snow is up to my knees then I dont know how my little guy is gunna be able to move!

I just had my large horse colic on Friday. The vet said that everytime the temp dips down at night and there is a full moon, they can gaurantee at least 5 or 6 colic patients come morning.

The good news is the horse is okay now.

The vet said between the weather change and them forgetting to drink water (because they don't get hot like in the summer) they colic. As far as the moon goes, I just think they are like little kids. "its light outside so lets play" they are like little energizer bunnies,they don't know when to shut down for the night. Even if they get put in for the night if they can see the light coming in or here lots of critters about they stay up.

Best tip I was given, put a rabbit size salt block in the bottom of the feed bucket (as long as you don't feed wet foods) as they eat, they have to shuffle the salt lick around, then they get nice and thirsty.

Promise

One thing to remember is that colic is a pretty broad term which can mean many causes and symptoms that are similar.. Oil isnt the answer to all and be careful giving oil to horses orally with a syring they can (and pretty easy) aspirate some of that oil and then you have a second and equally as big if not bigger issue on your hands.

It isnt always about water consumption

Latest posts

Back