Cold Weather Hints

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeeGee

Reaction score
How do others that live in the north deal with the cold weather? I'm considering moving south! Do you enjoy your horses in the winter months?

I moved from California to Missouri last year and this is my 2nd winter here. It's a challenge. We got snow and cold in Ca cause we lived in the high desert but the cold wasn't so LONG.... You'd have longer periods of sunshine. Here it gets dark so much and DREARY.... BUT, I have a BARN here and PASTURE. I didn't have that in Ca. So it's a trade off. So I do more here. There you just round pen them and had them in stalls. Here you can go out in the pasture with them and put them in the round pen or IF it's to cold or wet, snowy you can be in the barn with them.... I like that. I work them in the barn so that's a HUGE difference. I actually, mess with my horses more here. However, I had a huge hill in Ca I had to go down to get to my horses and here I just have to walk out my back door too. I do love it here, but I wish it was warmer, that's for sure.... for sure!!!!!

IF I had to do it over again I MIGHT rethink it. It is awfully cold here!!!!! I can't EVEN imagine living farther NORTH. God Bless you guy's who do
default_saludando.gif
TJ

Another thing I found is to dress for it. This winter and last winter I had "muck" boots, wonderful. I also this year added a heavy winter coat, AND insulated overalls. It has made ALLLLLL the difference in the world dealing with my mini's. I WANT to go out there in the 15-20* weather and I don't mind. LAST year I didn't. I froze my butt off. This year has made all the difference in the world. SO dressing for it... YES...

Last edited:
How do others that live in the north deal with the cold weather? I'm considering moving south! Do you enjoy your horses in the winter months?
[SIZE=12pt]Hi there & welcome![/SIZE]

As far as do i enjoy my horse in the cold... you bet!!!
default_laugh.png

348086882.jpg

As far as dealing with it, get the proper clothes the keep warm, if you're warm it's not that bad!
default_wink.png
Also if you live in extreme cold, investing in de-icers for water buckets may help. Most people that deal with winter in the north i believe just turn them out to be horses. But Banner & I are year long players!
default_biggrin.png

I moved from Connecticut to Minnesota 16 years ago. Must say I do not like Minnesota winters.i

I installed automatic waterers that are all heated, so the water the horses drink is warm. I only have to make sure they are all working and kept clean.

Then I had my barn heavily insulated and I heat it starting at the end of January for the show horses when they are brought in. I keep it warm enough for them as I clip them down and for the new foals as they start coming. I usually hold off till March or April for foaling season so that the foals can go out to play for a while each day.

I installed a hot water heater so that the horses get nice warm baths too.

I find that I am out in the barn a lot more often during the winter months and enjoy playing with my yearlings since the barn is now warm.

For me, it has seemed WAY colder than it has in past winters. (Maybe I'm just getting older
default_wink.png
) The -10 and -15 degree mornings have made chores tough. We stall ours overnight, but some of these past days where the wind chill has been -40 below, the horses stay in the barn as we don't have shelters outside for them. They get tired of being in the barn and I get tired of cleaning stalls twice a day. And the frozen apples, the heated buckets that you find have quit working overnight, frosty muzzles and whiskers, snowballs in hooves.

One fun thing we do in the barn when cleaning stalls when they stay in is we let them "cruise" the barn aisleway one at a time while we clean stalls. We have a dirt floor in the barn, so it is usually a treat to have a good roll in the dirt. Other things I practice on in the barn are setting up and working with feet for trimming days. Fun things are bringing in treats - apples and carrots for them and brushing manes and tails as well as a good scratch every now and again.

We have roundpens right behind the barn for them, so on the really nice days, it's a treat for them to get turned out into the big pasture for a good romp as well as what I call a "snow bath" - a good roll in the snow. They very much take advantage of this!

What's most gratifying though, is to just watch them and know how much you love them and that spring is just around the corner.
default_wub.png

This winter has been unusually cold early on and we've had frozen pipes several times. Wind chills below zero, single digit temps.

Last year they didn't freeze at all but we had so so so much snow-- a storm twice a week.

Winter is 6 months here.

I don't like winters anymore. Can't do anything with the horses except put them in and out of the barn-- on good days.

sigh

I hate winter! I have runs built for every horse, but they can't go outside because we had a massive snow fall, then thaw and then freeze, so all my runs are ice rinks. One hydrant has frozen, so it's bucket brigade to the runs. The electric company loves us! We have heated pails in each run. once I clean the stalls, there's no place to put the manure because I can't get to my waste piles.

Plus I usually get to slip and pull a back muscle at least once a year.

Yeah, winter is great.
default_wacko.png

default_laugh.png
I'm tired, bruised and COLD....just reading these!!!

In my area, we have had 2 nights of 18-22 degrees and THAT WAS AWFUL
default_wacko.png
Jan/Feb bring the worst weather, where we have a week or two of "stay in the 30 days", occassionally some snow (rarely more than 3").......and I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, reading your accounts and others in the past have made me a little remoresful for my complaints. However, I will still complain as I detest the cold. Would never move further North.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta love Wisconsin - can't afford to leave it!

About this time of year my hubby and I both talk about "moving south" for the winter. We actually looked into it last year and found out that our budget just won't take it (especially this year with the economy and being retired means it won't much better). So we just have to suck it up and live here.

I don't do much with the horses during winter. It's not just me that's freezing. My boys have no real desire to get out in that cold wet stuff. If it's just snowed or drifted up by the door, they just stand and look out and turn around like, "Why, would I want out there when there's no green and the hay is here!" My filly on the other hand loves to plunge through the drifts and dig for the grass. Given the choice she'd stay out there but then the boys have to freeze while the door is open.

My barn's not heated, not even insulated, so it's no fun out there in the single digit temperatures and below. I just manage to clean twice a day and feed three times. On a good day I try to pick feet and do some grooming. Fortunately for me my body has decided that it likes the hot flashes ( at least in winter) and if I dress in my longies, two pair of gloves, and that rediculous hat that I wouldn't want anyone to see then I stay relatively warm.

We've been stuck in a deep freeze for the past few weeks but l have to agree it seems to be getting colder or perhaps it is just a person getting older and feeling it more. This morning was -37C no wind which was nice and everyone was out and feeling frisky poop piles don't seem to freeze as bad to the ground when this cold at least for me probably because poop isn't as moist when it hits the ground l just use the snow shovel sprayed both sides with WD40 so it slides good and push the things into piles then go back with the wheel barrel pick them up and haul them out into the garden area real fast and l'm done. Water is a bummer the outside tap sometimes when this cold gets frozen shut so have to use a hairdryer for a few minutes to unstick the handle and hope it doesn't break. Today l'm very glad that my old girl passed on days this cold for sure were not her friend. A good snowmoblie suit gloves boots and wooly hat also makes it easier to be out for a few hours every morning doing chores..

I dont mind winter I hate the wind. I have found I have way to many horses to do things by myself, now that I have to since the other part in my hobby is out due to being "heavy in foal".

I have one 70 gallon water tank that is heated. I fill it every other day. As well as other small heated buckets for those who are stalled.

I dont spend as much time out side with them as I do in the summer. Lately they get feed once a day as it is so extreamly icey out side its hard to get anywhere. I feed them extra and it last them the day.

My horses I think love winter. I have never seen them play more then they do in the winter. THey run, buck and all that. I moved horses around today to get the mares closer to the barn and start feeding foal food(first due next month). I had to get out of their way as they were playing so much.

In my area, we have had 2 nights of 18-22 degrees and THAT WAS AWFUL
default_wacko.png
Jan/Feb bring the worst weather, where we have a week or two of "stay in the 30 days", occassionally some snow (rarely more than 3").......and I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But, reading your accounts and others in the past have made me a little remoresful for my complaints. However, I will still complain as I detest the cold. Would never move further North.
I wouldn't mind if our Maine winters were like yours, that I can handle. I also don't like the wind this time of year. I've actually been quite warm while doing barn chores with a sweatshirt and quilted jacket over a T-shirt, jeans and muck boots. Sometimes I have to break out the gloves. I just shut the barn doors while out there and it's not to bad.

We don't have it any where near as bad as areas around the Great Lakes or up in Canada. But we can always bet on having at least two weeks of below -0- or single degree temps every winter. After that, our normal winter will be in the teens or 20's at night, with the daytime being in the 30's........I can deal with that.

For us......a "must" is having a "frost-free" water hydrant. At our old place we had four located around the property. They were a lifesaver!!! Here, we only have one, but at least we have IT.

Another "must" is having tank heaters. Plus, Larry has installed timers on them so they go on and off, staggered, every 3 hours. This keeps the water from freezing, but doesn't overload our circuit breaker.

The final "must" is all THREE of us now own nice warm Overalls! I wouldn't live without them!

Single digits? SNORT. That's not cold, it's a nice fall day!!

We've been having some miserably cold weather; actually the cold wouldn't be so bad, if only the wind would stop blowing. That's what's getting us down this winter, the never ending wind. Our coldest night was night before last, at -35. It could be worse--some winters we get -45 with day time highs of -35. And, compared to the rest of the country, we aren't having such a bad winter. We woke up to a foot of new snow this morning, but it's fluffy and not really a problem...we aren't having terrible winds, or snowstorm after snowstorm, or ice storms, or 30 inches of snow followed by thawing and rain to cause flooding...just a pretty typical winter here, if a bit colder than "normal"

I'm spending a lot of time outside this winter....I clean sheds once a day, in the evening--feed and water horses before work, then feed/water/clean in the evening...I haul warm water out twice a day, and the horses do appreciate that.

Horses really don't get groomed in the winter--they're better off to have their coats stay fluffy and scruffy than to have the hair flattened down with brushing. I'll scratch their favorite itchy spots when I'm out doing the cleaning & such, and if manes get wind whirls in them I pick them out...feet get trimmed as needed, bridle paths grow out & turn into topknots--I don't clip those again until early spring--the babies get caught & handled on nicer days...gotta catch them & pose them sometimes & try to imagine what they REALLY look like under all that fur!!

The horses don't seem to mind winter, but in case I've never told you guys this before

I HATE WINTER!!!

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. We presently have about 2 feet of snow which just comes up to most of the minis bellies. The pregnant mares are dragging their bellies in the snow.

I have a frost-free water hydrant, and a 70litre heated water bucket (priceless!!!). The horses go out as long as it is not wet, they dont seem to mind the snow. They are always stabled at night, as that is when I bring them in and feel for foals kicking and check everyone over.

On snowy days, I use a sweat scraper and scrape the layer of snow off their backs when they come inside. Sometimes it is necessary to hoofpick snowballs out of their feet.

It's not pretty, but I am a born Nova Scotian, I'm never leaving, so I just learn to deal well with it. Here's a pic of the minis enjoy the snow and trying to find their hay.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1106/316415...235fb3b.jpg?v=0

I am in Iowa and I absolutely hate winter and snow because I am constantly cold even in the summer
default_smile.png
...but we have some of the lowest cost of living and the weather can go up and down daily so it will be cold to the point where you run your butt off to do chores before you freeze and the next week it is beautiful weather (30ish degrees
default_smile.png
) and you can actually work with the horses more. I have a 16 gal heated tank for my broodmares in pasture and to keep up with that so I dont have to drain a hose I just carry a five gal bucket over every morning. My barn isnt heated but it is closed up fairly well so I just have to bust buckets morning and night on cold days. The only bad thing is we have a lot of ice storms (this year is by far the worst ever though) and where I am in Benton county it is fields as far as the eye can see so we have no wind blocks and have tons of drifting. After our first snow this year the ditches were already filled and drifting our roads and driveways closed so travelling is limited but the horses love to jump through the drifts so it isn't too bad! Just bundle up!

We got the 3 feet of snow one day and pouring rain with 100 mile an hour winds!!! the next that Holly was talkin' about! That was just horrible. Flooding everywhere!!! It has been the strangest winter so far. When we got the 3 feet of snow it came overnight and the horses were stuck in their shelters surrounded by mounds of snow. I dug them a path to the water trough. Now we have a reasonable amount of snow on the ground, good cold temps to keep things dry, and sunny days - at least the last 2 have been. If it stayed like this all winter I would be okay with it.
default_smile.png
We have frost free spigots outside, heater tape on the faucets in the barn and at the side of the house, tank heaters for the big tanks in the outside paddocks and heated buckets for the pens. I wear knee high arctic snow boots, warm gloves, my big bulky coat, snow pants, and my Elmer Fudd hat - I look a sight but I am WARM! I have 4 horses in for training right now and all 4 get worked as close to daily as the weather allows. My friend Bob (diesel doctor) came out and plowed my driving area for me when it was under 3 feet of snow. I was out on the road for my annual solo Boxing Day drive, in lousy weather, as well as my New Years Day drive, in bitter cold but clear weather, this year, neither of which I have missed for more years than I can count. February is usually the worst month here so I like to take advantage of the nice days of January as much as possible. We put out big salt blocks for the horses to encourage them to drink as much as possible to prevent colic and we give them as much hay as they can possibly eat, and then some, to keep them warm. So far, everyone is fat and happy!

I'm from So.Cal. but I moved to Nebraska in '96- lower cost of living. Boy, did I have to adapt! Long underwear, a couple layers of clothes under my Carharrt coveralls, my purple hat and a scarf, insulated boots and gloves keep my pretty warm. But I hate the wind and anything under twenty degrees. I don't know how Canadians do it! Must have antifreeze in their blood.

I don't do a lot wth my guys in the winter- scrape off snow if necessary and pick out snowballs from hooves. Otherwise, they seen to enjoy the brisk weather and take a morning and afternoon gallop each day. I like to watch them from INSIDE the house.

Latest posts

Back