Cold weather and Hydration

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justagirl

Reaction score
As the cold days have set in here in the southeast , there usual problem arises , of how to keep the little guys hydrated . Since it has turned cold here , my guys are drinking almost no water and this worries me tremendously. I don't usually do beet pulp as the feed they get has beet pulp in it , but always seem to resort to feeding it [soaked beet pulp]in the winter for this very reason . They are still giving their salt blocks a workout and I have to replace weekly (small brick) so one would think that they would drink more ...... nada .

I know they should drink a couple gallons a day , but they aren't coming anywhere close to that.

So please list your ideas, tips , advice , whatever, on how you keep your horses hydrated in the winter .

Thanks in advance

We just put warm water on the food of a small gelding we have that will colic every so often from not drinking enough if we don't. You can wet the food without adding extra beet pulp.

All the minis get soaked beet pulp mixed with their pelleted food and sometimes I will add gatorade in really cold weather mixed into warm water for them to drink. I know they drink alot more water that way and it doesn't hurt. Haven't had one colic in four years and back then we lived at a different place that was on city water. I only had two minis then and both colic and spent time at the vet. I was told city water that contains fluoride and chemicals is not good for horses and can cause colic and since I have moved and back on well water have not had a problem since. Forgot to add that I now own 16 minis (how did THAT happen?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Add a little salt to their feed. It'll make them thirsty. Also, I give them warm beet pulp (and leave it sloppy so that they are getting water) and their waters are heated to help also.

1. heated water tubs - which they prefer to buckets, even heated ones (ours can be turned out in virtually any weather)

2. soaked beet pulp - soaked in warm water - with their grain twice a day

3. soaked alfalfa cubes at bedtime

4. also at bedtime, they get some hot water added to their water buckets, which are either heated or insulated; some really like to drink warm water, so this is warmer than the heated buckets keep it.

5. access to salt blocks

I put water in their grain as well as wetting their hay...they seem to like it better this way, so it is a good thing!!!!! I also have the salt blocks and they are going right after them, along with the heated water buckets so the water is tempered too.
default_yes.gif

I do feed the Beet Pulp 2 dry cups with 4 cups of warm water. They do all have salt avalable and when I fill the water tub I use warm water when it is cold. Between 4 horses they drink about 20 gallons of water a day. I think they like the warm feeling in their tummies when they drink the warm water.

Water buckets are refreshed 3 to 4 times/day with hot water (making it warm). Time consuming, but it makes a huge difference in how much they drink.

I have heated tanks in each horses pen so I can monitor intake. I also feed warm beet pulp/alfalfa pellets twice a day. Salt licks always available.

I just returned from visiting an old big horse trainer I used to work for and he has one horse that doesn't drink in the winter , he recommended put small amounts of hay in the water bucket when he's stalled , so the hay soaks up ther water , but still floats . Seems to me that most big horse people don't feed beet pulp , at least not the ones I know.

While it is extremely important for them to stay hydrated and winter has it's issues, please consider that they actually do drink a LOT more in summer because of heat and sweating. So there will be some amount of reduction. But, I start feeding some hay in Aug/Sep, even to the pastured guys to get them used to drinking to offset the drier hay.

Here we have really odd weather this time of year -- like 78 one day and 50 the next
default_wacko.png

I use most of what all suggested here.......

Last edited by a moderator:
he recommended put small amounts of hay in the water bucket when he's stalled , so the hay soaks up ther water , but still floats .
Interesting - could try it to see if it works..... If our horses drink with hay in their mouth which results in getting some hay in the water they don't bother getting it out. I always have to scoop it out.............................. I got tired of changing the water buckets several times a day in cold weather so now everyone has access to a heated bucket or trough.

they say carrots are 90% water.

juicy foods like apples and carrots. They are tasty and add variety and moisture to your pony’s diet.

electrolytes will also help them to increase drinking.

Lots of good advice

Ours get watered twice a day with warm water. We have some that like their water to be almost hot, and a few that like it to be just barely warm, and most like it somewhere in between, so...those that like hot get first drink, and those that like just about cool get last drink, and everyone is happy and well hydrated.

I have a heated bucket and I freshen it at least twice a day. I noticed my guys drank twice the water when it was fresh. Easy to do since I only have two minis. I sometimes put out a second non heated bucket, but choose black in color.

Water in the pelleted feed, soaked alfalfa , beet pulp, salt blocls available, heated water buckets, and whenever I have been VERY concerned about fluid intake, I have soaked their hay. Just remember, if you are immed. concerned about their fluid intake, you want to keep their diet as close to what it presently is, just incorporate water into it. No drastic changes over nite.

Carolyn

I agree with others that warm water is a big help. They do drink a lot more if it's warm. I used insulated buckets and put warm water out in their pen in the am and in their stalls at night. I also have been adding unsweetened electrolytes (just a half teaspoon or so) to their grain at night, and when it gets really cold in the winter I start adding soaked beet pulp with their evening grain.

Haven't tried Gatorade, although I did try adding apple juice, carrot juice, KoolAid (don't ask), etc. to their water and they wouldn't touch it, picky things.

Mine are soooo picky..... Their on automatic waterer's and like it. They don't like "warm" water. picky, picky. I've tried adding stuff to their water when I've had buckets then they won't touch the water. So I found the best solution is to add more water to their beets. Problem solved and of course to have their salt blocks available to them. I "watch" mine for drinking cause they are on the automatic waterer's and also I have a bucket sitting outside in the pasture that has water in it. USUALLY though they only drink out of it when they "have" too. They'd just as soon drink the "cool" water in the barn. So when I bring them in the barn they drink and I can see them drinking in the barn watching their intake. At least "once" a day and then with the beets, their getting water. If I didn't see them drinking I'd worry and call my vet. That's the "only" thing I don't like about the automatic ones is you can't gauge on how much they drink. But it sure is nice not having to clean those troughs/buckets all the time. Oh and if they get hay in the water forget it, they won't drink the water they wait till I clean it out. Leaves get it the water cause sometimes the wind blows and we have trees, they wait till I get the leaves out. They're pretty picky and "mom" comes to the rescue... They stand there and "wait" for me to clean it out then proceed to drink. I swear..... Have they got me trained or what!!!!!

Latest posts

Back