cold donkeys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anoki

Reaction score
Is it just me, or do donkeys not stay as warm as horses do??? I've been meaning to ask about this, but then Mary Lou seemed fine until today....

It is just today, and it might be the wind (though she is inside), but Mary Lou started shivering today for the first time. I've been keeping an eye on this, as my standard donk used to have to be blanketed (where the minis it never mattered.....

maybe it's just me.....

she's getting lots of hay & she's drinking well.....she looks good, she's just cold!!! (and it is darn cold here right now).

Anyways, just wanted other opinions on this.....now this is also the donk that *could* be pregnant...that is what I was told when I got her. Do you think she's just having trouble staying warm with 2??

I'm off to fix up another blanket for her....

~kathryn

My donkeys never seem to develop the same thick, shaggy coats as our minis

have so perhaps this is the answer. We don't live very far from you so I'd say

we have a similar climate but I've never seen my donkeys shiver. I occasionally

try to blanket them but they don't seem to appreciate it much....by morning it is off.

Joshua, Muffy & Molly share a deep sheltered run-in at the back of my store.

Their back wall leads to a heated building with poor insulation so I hope they

benefit from that
default_wink.png
:

As long as dry & out of drafts they seem to do well
default_yes.gif
:

She is in with the minis, but it is just a drive shed...no insulation and believe me, it's chilly out there tonight!!!! They say it's about -25 with the wind chill, and it sure feels cold in the shed.....feels colder than it was last weekend, when it was even colder than that (I think because of the direction of the wind, it's hitting the shop differently).

My old standard donk used to do the same thing, only she was old when she was in that building, and I just thought that was what it was.....she did appreciate the blanket, but the days *she* didn't need it, I would find it buried in the bedding :eek:

Like I said, this is the first day I've noticed her doing this....and I've been keeping an eye out for it, since I had my old standard donkey do the same thing....

I'll try blanketing her, and hopefully that will work....and the vet will be out later next week....I'll ask her about it (unless of course she starts to look off at all, then the vet will be called asap!!!)

While we are chatting...how's your adorable Corgi doing?

Cleaning up in the show ring still?

Someday I will be loved by one too
default_yes.gif
:

blanket seemed to make things better!!!! :aktion033:

Just went out and checked her one last time! She seems fine now! But I'll just have to keep the blanket handy just in case!!

As for the princess (aka Moxie :bgrin ) she's doing fine! We haven't been to any shows since last fall, just because of the weather. We are gearing up to head to a couple of BIG shows in TN & KY in March
default_wacko.png
: didn't realize they were supported entry shows, which means there will be a fair number of cardigan's there!! Oh well, we'll see how she does!! For some reason I go into these shows not expecting too much....but ya never know! I dunno, maybe it's just there are usually some pretty big named kennels at these shows....just a bit intimidating!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

We are also entered in Rally-O (which is like Obedience), but I may have to pull her at least from the first one....she should be in heat, but hasn't come in yet....I'm going to wait it out until next week and then decide....

Thanks for asking though!!! Always nice to know we have a 'cheering section' here on the forum!!!!!
default_yes.gif
: :saludando:

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back