Cody in the hospital - Hyperlipidemia

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So very sorry for your loss. thoughts and prayers are with you during this tough time.

Angie & Ashley

Thank you everyone...thank you. I am in so much pain right now, I just cannot believe I lost my little guy. :no:

The hospital called me at 4:30am and he was not getting any better. He was still in ICU, had 2 plasma transfusions, all attempts were being made to lower his glucose levels and try to stablize him. They said his electrolytes were completely off balance at that point, his sodium levels were plummeting and he was on oxygen as he was having a hard time breathing.

They called again at 7:00am and said he was down, couldn't get up and at this point he was clearly suffering and was not going to recover. I agreed to let my guy go. :no:

They did a post mortum immediately and found that he had intussusception. It's a type of colic where the intestines starts to telescope over itself. There were 2 large sections that had this, and once the intestines touch each other, they start to erode - which they had done. And that is why by the 2nd phone call they made to me, his abdominal cavity was 1/2 full of intestinal fluids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intussuscepti...cal_disorder%29

"An intussusception is a situation in which a part of the intestine has prolapsed into another section of intestine, similar to the way in which the parts of a collapsible telescope slide into one another"

It can be caused by tapeworms, but that was not they case here - they checked for tapeworms but did not find any. They said this had probably been going on for some time, but since there is not feeling in that area, he would never have exhibited any signs of colic, pain, distress - nothing. And that's exactly how it was. He was fine yesterday morning when I left. By lunchtime he was going downhill.

His sister Gracie is with me, and she is calling for her brother. Which is just ripping my heart open.

Thank you again, everyone.

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my goodness, Liz, I am so very sorry that you lost your boy! I wish that my words could comfort you, but I know how this hurts. I will just leave it at I'm sorry, and know that you and Gracie will be in my thoughts and prayers.

HUGS

Jodi

Thank you everyone...thank you. I am in so much pain right now, I just cannot believe I lost my little guy. :no:

The hospital called me at 4:30am and he was not getting any better. He was still in ICU, had 2 plasma transfusions, all attempts were being made to lower his glucose levels and try to stablize him. They said his electrolytes were completely off balance at that point, his sodium levels were plummeting and he was on oxygen as he was having a hard time breathing.

They called again at 7:00am and said he was down, couldn't get up and at this point he was clearly suffering and was not going to recover. I agreed to let my guy go. :no:

They did a post mortum immediately and found that he had intussusception. It's a type of colic where the intestines starts to telescope over itself. There were 2 large sections that had this, and once the intestines touch each other, they start to erode - which they had done. And that is why by the 2nd phone call they made to me, his abdominal cavity was 1/2 full of intestinal fluids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intussuscepti...cal_disorder%29

It can be caused by tapeworms, but he did not have tapeworms. They said this had probably been going on for some time, but since there is not feeling in that area, he would never have exhibited any signs of colic, pain, distress - nothing. And that's exactly how it was. He was fine yesterday morning when I left. By lunchtime he was going downhill.

His sister Gracie is with me, and she is calling for her brother. Which is just ripping my heart open.

Thank you again, everyone.

Liz R.
default_sad.png
So so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel as I have just lost my sweet stallion a month ago and he presented the same thing. He was sent to Guelph Vet hospital and they tried for two weeks to bring him around but he just kept getting sicker and presenting more and more different symptoms. I have not received a report of why yet. so at least having answers soon will help in a while. They dig in so deep to our hearts that it does leave a hole. Again I'm so sorry that you have to go through this painful time.

Sandy

Liz.

Unfortunately, I never knew Cody but it sounds like I missed knowing one heck of a little horse. I feel so bad for you. There are no words for me to type to make you feel any better. I guess just knowing that so many people cared about you and Cody should touch you and give you some inner peace. Bless your heart.

Lara Pier

Bdazzled Farms

awe that is sooo terrible!

my heart breaks for you and gracie. if she gets really lonely, bring her right on down the street to play with ghost!

i am soo sooooo sorry liz.
default_crybaby.gif
:

I feel so bad for you and your loss. My heart breaks for you. They are all special, but some are family and it sounds like you lost one of your family today. I am sorry.

having lost my own very special boy, raised from birth like your Cody, i have been where you are now and there is nothing anyone can say that will make it better. we love them all but there are some that for whatever reason make that special connection to your heart... losing Justice was truly the worst thing that has ever happened to me, and i am sure you feel the same way. i cannot imagine, with this still hurting so much, what it would be like to lose a child... {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}} to you and may God be with you during this sad time.

it is of some comfort to me to think that our tears water the grass that grows at the rainbow bridge... Cody will have lots of very special company while he is waiting for you
default_wub.png
:

I am so sorry that you've lost him, let him be in no pain and running with so many other of our little buddies.

I am so very sorry that you lost your special Cody - what a wonderful life he had with you (((HUGS)))

I am so, so sorry. This was a sad week for the horses...I wish we could go back in time.

((((hugs)))))

Liz,,,,,,,,I am so very, very sorry for the loss of your special Cody.

I hope you and his sister are able to help each other through this terrible time.

My thoughts are with you.

Oh Liz, I am so sorry. This breaks my heart for you. AT least now with these results, you KNOW what the cause was, there will be no second guessing yourself, as we(humans) always tend to do when we experience loss. Now you can try to get some closure, and before long, you'll be smiling again each time you think of Cody, instead of crying. HUGS to you!

Latest posts

Back