Coat color & weight loss help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepeppylass

Reaction score
This is crystal, when I bought her she was solid black mare, this spring she's gained quite a bit of weight on relatively sparse grass turnout. She's now locked in drylot and getting 1/4 flake quality grass hay per day spaced over 2-3 feedings. I was looking her over while she was eating and I began to question her weight & her color. 1) could she be smokey black? And 2) what should I be doing to get her weight in check? (Pics came out sideways, not sure how to fix it) some are from winter and some are after her bath once she's shed out, pic of her eating (sideways) is from today.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What sort of exercise does she currently get ?

You have done the right thing in pulling her off pasture for the time being. Im not a very big fan of spring grass, here it has a seriously high sugar content and can lead to all sorts of problems.

How big is she? Height? You don't want to crash diet them, as that can cause it's own problems. Feed should be weighed and be the appropriate amount for her size; basic rule of thumb is 1.5-2% of body weight in forage daily.

She's right at 32" but I don't have a way to get a weight on her, as we know weight tapes aren't accurate for minis. She was being lunged 3x a week and started over trot poles but now I've taken time off because of a foot injury.

there is a weight calculation formula on the info pages, it's not too bad. My slightly chubby 32.5" mare weighs around 300#, she gets about 5# hay and feed daily.

I am not a color expert and in fact have my own color question... but I think your mare is just sun bleached. You can do some research on minerals and sun bleaching. If they are lacking in something mineral wise they will bleach out. If they have all they need they will stay nice and black.

As for weight loss often when you crash diet them they will get even fatter because their body is trying to save every little thing they are eating. Horses that are easy keepers need to eat feed that is low in sugar and starch. You can research that and should come up with some great options!

When I first got Mikey he weighed 298lbs (scale weight at the vet) and was definitely fat. I took him to the trainer who started working him and by the time they were up to an hour or so a day 5-6 days a week he started dropping weight and getting in condition. Now, 5 months later he is down at least 50lbs (still need to get him back on the scale), has a waist and looks like a horse, not a pudgy pony.

You're on the right track - exercise and less food, just like us.

Here's a before (when I went to look at him before buying) and after (about a month ago right after a quick bath) picture for you.

When I first got Mikey he weighed 298lbs (scale weight at the vet) and was definitely fat. I took him to the trainer who started working him and by the time they were up to an hour or so a day 5-6 days a week he started dropping weight and getting in condition. Now, 5 months later he is down at least 50lbs (still need to get him back on the scale), has a waist and looks like a horse, not a pudgy pony.

You're on the right track - exercise and less food, just like us.

Here's a before (when I went to look at him before buying) and after (about a month ago right after a quick bath) picture for you.
How tall is he? Always like to see a height to go with the weight.

He's just a bit over 35"
Wow, I'm a bit surprised that he'd be that overweight at 35" and about 300#.

My 35.75" stallion weighs around 300# and he doesn't have any extra on him.

Ok, so he was slightly heavier in this picture, this is the day he was turned out with his girls in June last year; in three weeks, he had slimmed down.

June 24, 2015 - Topper watching his 3 year olds in other pasture.jpg

Back