closing their doors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie12

Reaction score
I was very shocked to see on their website that Jo-Co miniature horses are selling off there show horses. Anyone know why? Had something on there indicating they were getting out of it.

I am so sad to see JOCo close! they are a class act all the way and some of the first people i met when i started showing. Frank has always been a huge help.

I was told it was due to health reasons and wanting to retire from their company they owned etc.

They will be very missed but I wish them nothing but happiness on their retirement!

[SIZE=12pt]Oh no....they will be so missed. What an incredible FAMILY, as well as great horses!!![/SIZE]

I, for one, am absolutely shocked. I had no idea they were planning this. We will miss them soooo much!!

This is all that's on their website right now:

As the 2006 Show Season comes to a close , JO CO Miniatures is also closing. To sit and list all who come to mind as we write a good bye message is an endless task. To all of you who helped us, guided and encouraged us, THANK YOU!

The JO-CO Gang won't forget all the good times, the laughs and most of all, the friends that we have made. May the kindness you all showed us, be returned to you someday.

Take care and God bless,

The JO-CO Gang

I for one am crushed. They are truly the nicest kindest people. So humble and willing to help. Raven of course wants to go live with them I dont know if she would even look back to be honest.

They are truly a family to emulate (spelling) not only do they have amazing horses, amazing handling skills, to many national championships to mention but most important they are without a doubt truly good people and a family that has fun togther.

We have stalled by them for 2 years now in Tulsa and yes we will be missing them next year that is for sure.

They have been on my mind recently and I've been thinking of posting sort of a tribute to them on the forum.

Frank and Karen Johnson are REALLY nice people and their daughter Kelly has done an incredible job with their driving horses as well as all their halter horses - their daughter Cathy has also been very involved as well and of course their very talented grandchildren Macabe and Markel have done super in AMHR youth. They built an incredible herd in a very short time - 8 or 9 years I think.

They always do incredibly well with all of their horses and just this past AMHR Nationals they had 16 national champions, 14 reserve champions and a bunch of top fives and top tens. For us it meant so much to meet another family like ours that does everything together and we feel so honored to have had the opportunity to get to know them this past year and our family visited them at their farm in Michigan just a couple of weeks ago. I've learned so much from watching them handle their horses and getting to know them at nationals and having the opportunity to sit down at their farm and talk was just priceless. I learned so much from Karen - much of it the finer points and small details that set apart a champion from a runner up. They had a wonderful time with their minis and had decided to wait until after nationals to make the announcement they were closing their doors because they didn't want anyone to dwell on it or feel sad or be talking about it.

The family is just fine, Frank is retiring this year and they just have some other things they need to focus on at this time and are very comfortable with the decision they made. At this point they have dispersed their entire herd and sold off all of their tack and equipement and I am hoping they are getting ready to leave for a much deserved vacation/rest - maybe even a sort of second honeymoon?

I really can't even find the right words to express how kind and helpful they have been to our family and how much we appreciate their help and support and the trust they have placed in us to carry on with their memory and their tradition of striving to be the best but along the way keeping minis a "family affair".

I won't say anymore than that for now, but rest assured some of their best horses have a wonderful new home and will be returning to the show ring in 2007.

This was the first year I met and talked to them. They seemed to love to talk about there horses and were very proud of them.

Oh what I would have given to have Poker Time.......................
default_wub.png
:

Well, gee, Sanny, you've pretty much already said that you've bought at least some of their horses. I wonder if all of them are sold already, and what about their trailers and other stuff.

I think I'll just ask Karen directly.

Latest posts

Back