clipping question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes they shed
default_yes.gif
but mini people clip their horses for the show ring

I found that weanlings and yearlings a very slow to shed out. So I usually clip them once it starts staying warm up here on the Northern Coast. Usually August 1st, and then start blanketing them August 3rd for winter.
default_biggrin.png

They shed alright...starting in February and going all the way to late June! Then the new winter coat starts coming by late July.
default_wacko.png
That's why most of us do at least one clip when the weather gets warm even if we aren't showing. Partially for their comfort and partially so we aren't drowning in billowing loose hair for six months of the year.
default_wink.png

Leia

So glad to read everyone's posts! Here it gets so hot in summer that I have learned to use blades and attachments to clip a longer coat in May, then mid-June shave with a #10 close shave. I usually have to clip again in late July, then first week of September. So far tho I have had weanlings and yearlings that have thick heavy coats that have to be clipped. I also started using the EZ All products with a foamer that has made baths soooo much easier on us, and its all natural, gets down deep into the coat before clipping, and leaves a wonderful glow.

It really depends upon the individual horse. Mingus has a tight, slick, shiny summer coat, so once he sheds, it would be ridiculous to clip him for shows. As Leia noted, mine don't shed out until mid-June; however, perhaps due to the latitude or the light, they don't start their winter coats until late August.

Mingus only needs a nose/bridle path/fetlock clean-up mid-June through August, but my other three would need to be clipped if I were to show them.

Mingus in July, unclipped:

mingusccfair-web.jpg

ming-stand.jpg

Latest posts

Back