Clipping in the winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishful

Reaction score
Is it ok to clip the horses head and neck in the winter. Does the head and/or neck hair affect how warm or cold they are?

I am in central alabama and it is low 50's during the day and 20-30's at night.

he is stalled at night and always out of the rain.

It's winter, why would you want to? If it's cold I wear a hat and scarf because "I" do not have alot of hair. IF you took off the nice warm fuzzies on the head and neck I think (JMHO) it would be cold even at 50. Sorry I vote absolutely not!

I think it's aboslutely rediculous to clip your horses neck/head in the winter. Even for those who are trying to sell their animals I don't think it's fair or a good idea. So if you aren't trying to sell then really you have absolutely no reason to do so.

Of course the head/neck hair affects how warm they are...I don't know if it's the same for horses but in people the head is one of the main places that heat escapes. Just because he is stalled and out of the rain does not mean he can't get cold. I would never do it to any of my horses and in my opinion it is a very bad idea.

The first R show is in January. You cant show a fuzzie horse,can you?

How do you handle showing and cold weather.

My babies always have the option of blankets and/or heated space.

I sure would not. And even when I see a picture of horses with just done like that... It sure turns me off
ohmy.gif
..Too much distraction in a picture like that I just pass them by, don't even read any article that is written, if there is one.

Hi

I do it all the time, the head and neck. That does not effect whether they stay warm or not. In fact on the warmer days during the cold days, they really like that hair off and get too hot.

It is the hair across the top of their back/withers that keeps them warm. If I were showing in Jan I would do full body clip now. So I can see how the horse is shaping up. I would double blanket on days they need it, with neck wrap and slinkie, heat lamps if necessary. They are toasty warm that way, believe me. It only takes a short period of time for their hair to grow enough after winter clip to help keep them warm even though it still looks really short.

I like to see a pretty head any time of the year. I have seen some clips that do the head and part of the neck too, just under the throat and angle on the neck.

Good luck at your show!

Beth

I kinda do the face in a way, but not really......

I just shave the beard off that is growing underneath the face and sculpt around the jaw line, so it's clean looking just for neatness sakes if anything, then I also do bridle paths. No real face shaving or neck clipping at all. brrrrr heck with a winter show
yes.gif

Yes it is very do-able depending on where you are and what living conditions your minis are in. IN fact in large horses it is customary to body clip in the winter so they can still be worked and kept in shape (at least when showing large horses)

I think in the weather you are talking about your horse would be fine assuming that is about as cold as it gets and that you dont go all the way down the neck in case it gets colder- and that you keep him inside like you said if need be.

I think many people dont realize the opposite how uncomfortable a very hairy yak like mini is in the 65 degree days.

My gut tells me NO! But I was at a tack shop the other day, and we got talking. Our QH mare has this nasty looking neck. She's itchy with the fuzzy neck, and has been rubbing on a pine tree and getting sap all over her neck. I've worked tirelessly trying to clean up the ***** on her neck to not much avail. The lady that owns the new tack shop on SR40.. (Ocala folks know the place... as big as Seminole feed that used to be small and across the street), showed me this stuff, and said, don't worry the hair will grow back. So.. I'm thinking... to get her skin in good shape again, it needs to be shaved.... better naked then ripped up I think!

So yes.. jammies and neck sweats.... I understand it's important to leave the ears alone though.

God Bless...

I'll let you know how it turns out...

Lynn W

Back