Clipping for shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormyAcreRanch

Reaction score
Ok, my friend starting showing last year, I've always shown larger horses just open shows. Anyways, I asked her this question this past week, why do you clip and why use a 30 blade? She said that is what every clips with around here(MN) to show their mini's and that is what a trainer(mini trainer/show person) told her to use. Well, we were getting her mini ready for the expo and she needed my clipper, the only blade I had was a 10 blade, so we used that. She and I both loved how her horse turned out and she is going to use the 10 blade for the show season this year.

So my questions is what blade do you use to clip for shows and why?

I've always used a #10 because I have no particular fondness for seeing skin show through my horse's haircoat. :new_shocked: Now that said, this is my first year using Double K's and I'm finding his coat grows out way too fast with them so I'll probably use a #15 for most of my show clipping this year with a finer blade on his face and lower legs to help define his features. I drive and do not show halter so my horse does not need to look super-refined in his presentation. Plus I live in the Pacific NW where a "hot day" is in the low 80's and the nights still drop to 50's so I prefer him to have a little more fur!
default_wacko.png
:

If I were showing halter I'd probably use at least a 15 for bodyclipping but I'm not personally comfortable going much above that.

Just my .02

Leia

Depends on the horse, the season, and the horse's color, etc.

I use a #10 first, as it's usually early and no matter what, the horse's color will be washed out, also the horse will be downright COLD if you clip w/a #30 in this region, even with blankets, unless you have a very secure as well as heated barn.

Sooooo I use a #10 all over, and groom the face w/a combination of all blades right down to a #50.

Late in the season, after they've been clipped a lot, I like to use a #30 to help with sleekness as well as combat the hair growing back in so fast.

In the pic in my avatar, the gelding was clipped with a #30 about 3 days before the photo shoot. I think he looks amazing. He'd also been clipped with a #30 about two weeks prior to that, and had grown back about a 1/2" of hair. This was in Aug./Sept., when the hair grows back quickly. Luckily our weather is warm enough to do so.

For most clips, though, I use a #10 blade and it looks just fine.

A #30 requires a lot of consideration and some amount of skill.

Liz M.

I use a 10 or 15 on the body and upper legs, depending on the horse. I'm currently showing a mostly white mare (the one with my son in my avatar), so she is definitely clipped with a 10! I use a 10, 15, or 30 on the head, and usually a 30 on the lower legs.

Edited to add: I use a 30, but no shorter, on white/pink skinned muzzles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know alot of people in our area use a 30, but I prefer not to have skinned horses.

I know people use them on pintos to, and I cant stand to look at the horse then.

I clip pintos in a 10 and solids in a 15.

Every horse is different I go from a 15-40 on the body, 30-40 on the head. Sometimes I will go with a 15 on the body and the 30 on the legs. It depends on the time of year color of horse. I know that doesnt help much but you just have to see what you like the best. If you like a 10 use a 10, no one way is correct. I also work full time so have to clip out a couple of days so 30 works real well for me.

I don't post much but love reading all the great info here. I'm still fairly new to showing (this is my 4th year with my own horses). I used to body clip with a 10 and various blades on the face (50-40-30-15). I still clip the face this way, however, I have since changed to an 8-1/2 blade for the body on my horses. As the season progresses, it seems that the hair stays this length so I only have to do touch ups on legs, face, neck. It also leaves a beautiful, silky coat. Although I must admit some horses still look better on a 10. It really depends on the horse and what you like. I've never body clipped on anything shorter than a 10.

I use a 7, I just think they look better that way. I use a 10 or 15 on the face, 10 on the ears, 30 on the muzzle (I don't razor), and 30 on the bridlepath. Just my personal preferance.

Jessi

I use a 15, but sometimes, like I did with my boy he's a pinto and it got too close and worried he would get sunburned, so next time might use a 10 on him. I know sometimes people at Nationals clip with 30s and I have tried that but just not my style.

I usually have mine clipped in a 10 for the performance horses. For my halter horses, I like a 30. I will have a 30 done on all of them if I am doing back-to-back shows, that way they only have to be clipped once. I always do a 30 on my silver bay, it shows her dapples more. It just depends on what look you are trying to achieve.

Back