Clipping foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaneyrose

Reaction score
I have seen on most websites that have weanlings for sale later in the year, the foals are clipped........When do you clip your foals out and does it have any effect on the coat quality/texture???

I think the food... nutritionally has the most effect on the coat, not the age it's clipped, (from what I've been told)... I could be wrong.

I was told that the first clip should be done after weaning. I have no clue why.... but that's what I was told... I keep asking about the hooves.... when do foals hooves get done? I haven't gotten a hard fast rule on that question either yet.

God Bless,

Lynn W

Clipping a foal's coat really depends on the climate that the foal is living in, in my opinion. By the time an owner puts their foal up for sale with a clip-job, more often than not, it is summer time. It's also the time that many owners will start taking weanlings to shows. WHEN the foal is clipped will not affect the coat in regard to its quality or color when it reaches maturity.

Trimming a foal's hooves....We've done them as young as one week old because they needed it! (Usually newborns need it at two weeks.) Normally, a two week old foal only needs to be rasped at first, but we tackle their hooves as they grow and when needed, not on any specific "schedule".....unlike a mature horse. This often means they need trimming more often than an adult throughout their first year.

MA

I live in Fl. so I clip my babies pretty early. Posting a picture of Cisco before and after. I clipped him at 16 days. I stall the babies between 11 and 4 when it is the warmest but he is black and he was always soaking wet with sweat. Half of him was hair, he looks kind of funny with his stockings but he isn't sweating.

Cisco before

Ciscobefore.jpg

Cisco after

Ciscoafter.jpg

We rasp our babies to make them level and round the points in the front it helps the tendons. If the baby is down when it is born we do it at about 5 days. The 2 colts that we have this year 1 is 3 wks and the other2 weeks were up on their legs right after birth so we will probably do them at 1 month. We do our own so it makes it easier.

Sandy

Thanks for all your imput everyone. Sandy, your mare looks just like my Raven in the second pic!! What colour is she?? I think mine is dark bay but still not really sure???

Latest posts

Back