Clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNT

Reaction score
This is our first year with mini's and need to purchase clippers but aren't really sure what we need. Any advice?

Thanks for your help!!

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions, but in the meantime, just do a forum search for clippers and you should get tons of hits, the topic comes up every year about this time.

When I had just one mini, I bought a set of Wahl KM-2 clippers, and they worked just fine for clipping one mini; but when I added more minis I needed more power, so I bought a set of Oster Clipmasters (I had already borrowed a pair to try, so knew what I was getting into, they are a bit heavy and can be clumsy, especially if you have small hands, which I don't). I still use the Wahls for bridle paths and small stuff (like my little stallion).

Double Ks.. lots of power for extended clipping, cable driven so the clipper head doesnt heat up so fast, blades snap on/off so it is easy to change them out. Mine have been overhauled once and worked on a few times, but I've had them probably 15 years and they are still going strong.

Jan

How much are you looking to spend? They can be anywhere from $8-$500 or more. I got mine at walmart for $24 (WAHL) and they work nice but I'm only showing this year so I didn't need professional ones--Wahl is a good brand though and you can find some on ebay too.

It will all depend on how many horses you are clipping per year. I have to do several, so I have my double ks for the body work and since I have arthritis I use andis on the head and legs, they are easier to hold onto and use the same blades. When I worked as a groomer we used many different brands, and oster is ok but a bit heavier and harder to maintain then andis. It is really up to you, just google and you'll find many different brands and many different prices.

Andis 5 speed were recommended to me. I haven't tried them yet so I am waiting impatiently for some extended warm weather, here in the frozen north.

I had Double K's and sold them.

I use the heavy duty Clipmaster in the spring for the heavy growth and will use the finer Andis for the finishing touches.

Andis super agr +. Rechargable and cordless. Use for horses and dogs. Recommend ceramic blade. LOVE them.

Andis agc super 2 speed-Love, love,love mine...did I say I love mine? This is why...Easy to change the blades, easy to hold, not too loud, long cord(guess 12-14 ft?) and easy maintenance. I clip everything from head to toe with mine. When I bought mine I think the best price I found was $149. and best money spent. I have had it for about three years.

We love our Andis clippers. I'm a dog groomer and have had many sets. They have held up under daily use for many years. When needed to purchase another clipper last year, I decided to contact the clipper sharpeners/repair facility (they are a major sharpen/repair for groomers) and ask their opinion. Thought maybe some of these other brands may be better now. They still suggested Andis. We only clip/show a few horses. I like the portability of these clippers.

Latest posts

Back