Clippers....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabetha

Reaction score
So....I NEED help and opinions...I need to buy a pair of clippers for body clipping....I am new to showing minis, so I would like some veteran opinions on the RIGHT clippers....

I dont want to keep having to replace blades all the time...

I am also attending a clipping class, so I will learn alot there, but I would like to get my clippers in the mean time

I am a fan of Laube Lazors. Have used them on show string of up to five horses.

If you have more horses than that, don't mind more expense, the Double Ks are the industry favorite.

I don't prefer them because they're bulky and harder to use and store because of it.

Whatever you get, expect to pay about $200.

$100 or less isn't worth the money.

Andrea

I couldn't afford the super duper clippers like the Double K's AND I have very small hands so big and bulky clippers won't work for me. I ended up with the Oster A5 clippers. I do have to change during clipping as the blades get hot, but I've built up a good supply of them so it's not a big deal anymore.

Im going to go out and be a rebel here and say that I was not in the position to pay for something like laube or a double k, so I spent $50 on a pair of Wahl Iron Horse clippers. They came with excellent reviews and they worked AMAZINGLY well on our mini. They gave us no trouble and stayed cool and quiet the entire time we did our trace clip with her.

I'm not sure how they'd perform on a full clip, but one of the reviews stated that a person had done 5 thoroughbreds in a row without break and had no issues with the clippers getting too hot, so I have to assume they'd be good for one mini at least
default_yes.gif

I used to be able to bath and clip four or five a day, but now with OA I can't. I use double K's for bodies, they work faster and don't heat up as fast. I use the square type adis for faces, ears, legs, I can hold onto them easier, but they do heat up, so you will need to keep kool lube handy and several blades. If you PM me I'll give you the wholesale site where I order from. I don't think I'm allowed to post it here.

Most clippers WILL body clip a mini,,, but you will get a faster, smoother clip with nice clippers!

Once you use a good set of clippers you will realize the faster motor is worth every penny!

If you just have one mini and need to just do bridle paths, any clippers will do.

Andrea

Used the Double K and not a big fan. Oster, personally cannot stand, blades are just as bad.

I very much like my Wahl Storm II clippers and you can get them for around $160. Very lite, very quiet, and haven't had a problem with them. The Wahl blades work really nice as well. Through out the entire show season all but one blade lasted to Nationals.

I have cable drive clippers (my favorite for body clipping) a pair of single speed Oster A-5 and a pair of dual speed A-5. The same blades fit all three and I have a large assortment for various clipping jobs. (#10, #15, #30, #40 and a couple sets of #15 Wides) i sent them out for sharpening when they get dull. Never tried Laube since I had the Osters long before they came out. All my clippers are corded. I did have a pair of cordless once but the battery never lasted long enough to complete a face clip (i can't remember the brand.) I would say expect to pay $150 for a quality pair and then $25/set for blades. They are a big investment but you won't be sorry.

We have tried the cheaper ones don't like them what so ever. They don't last.! We got a set of double k's and love them. For my blades I shop around found out tractor supply will match prices on blades! I pay about 19.00 dollars for my blades. Got to the pet supply houses that is what I have done. Oh I love the double k dryers too. I have the osters blades

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Double K's. I like to use my Andis Super 2-Speeds for face and legs, but if I had to choose just one set -- Double K!!!

Most clippers WILL body clip a mini,,, but you will get a faster, smoother clip with nice clippers!

Once you use a good set of clippers you will realize the faster motor is worth every penny!

If you just have one mini and need to just do bridle paths, any clippers will do.

Andrea
I understand where you are coming from but that's just the thing! They gave us a fast, smooth clip. We have had other, cheap clippers before and used them on this mare and yes, they WERE crap and I wouldn't want to use them again. The only thing that held us back with getting her done as quickly as we would like was that I was prodding her mouth trying to check her loose teeth and she was getting a bit crabby with me
default_smile.png

Thank you ALL for your help and comments!!! I was thinking about getting the Andis 2 speed with the t-84 blade on it. I read the reviews for them, and they were all for the most part very good. What have you guys heard for reviews on them?? Anyone have them???

Tabetha

I have the AGC Andis Super 2 speed(maroon color), not the T-84 blades. I love them! The blades are easy to change. I clipped three minis last year with them. They fit well in my hand and I find them easy to use for all parts.

Latest posts

Back