Clippers....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantminimore

Reaction score
I've been clipper shopping and have it narrowed down to these 2, Andis AGP Super 2 Speed Clipper and Oster Golden A5 Heavy Duty 2 speed Clipper. I'd like some opinions from those that have them. Which one is the quieter one, stays cooler longer, easy to take care of, how long do they last and anything else that you can think of? TIA

If you will be using the clippers for body clipping, I suggest you spend the extra money and get yourself a set of Double Ks.

I have spent a lot of money on clippers and would have been better buying the Double K's right off the hop
default_rolleyes.gif

I bought the Oster brand last year and hate them. I would like to go ahead and invest in the Double Ks. Can someone tell me about how much these are and where is the best place to get them?

well i would definately invest in the double k's, however between to 2 the andis are the best quiet, don't heat up as fast and in general last much longer, and i use my andis for body clipping with no issues as i have bad arthritis in my hands and sometimes the double k's are to hard to manuever..........
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to buy a Double K, but at the last moment was convinced to get a Wahl KM2 Speed. I still don't know if I would have been better off, but I really like my Wahl clippers and they are very smooth and easy to work with. I would recommend the Wahl.

If you want them for body clipping, definitely not the A5's. That is what put mine over the edge
default_rolleyes.gif
Even for trims, I don't like them. They do not clip evenly and are very loud compared to other clippers on the market today. I do like my Oster Clipmaster variable speed though, so it is not the brand, just the model
default_wink.png

I'm sorry, I should of said that I would not recommend the Oster A5 as that is what I have and I hate. I returned them once for a new pair, but they still do not work well for body clipping. It does not matter how clean I have the horse & how many times I clean the blades while using it. I am tired of buying new blades for it and having half finished clip jobs! They just refuse to cut the majority of the time.
default_frusty.gif

Again, could anyone tell me about how much the double Ks are and where I should get them from? I hear you do not even have to have the horse bathed with them!

I have the Andis and I love them. I only clip up to 4 horses a year but they are good. I have had mine for 3 years now and have not had any problems.

Hello, I am also interested in your question, would add also, what type of DDK and length of cable. Do the members have preferences?

Many thanks

default_wacko.png

nnadams--Pro-Cut is a good place to buy the Double K's. I'm not sure if he has a website, but if you have any copies of the Journal around, there will be a Pro-Cut ad in there, with phone number. Price depends on which cable you get--I have the 12' cable & am happy with it; some prefer the 15' one. Price is right around the $400 mark--not sure if it's now just over that, or still a bit under.

I've had my Double Ks for awhile now so haven't looked around at prices; perhaps someone else will chime in with a seller that offers a better price.

nnadams--Pro-Cut is a good place to buy the Double K's. I'm not sure if he has a website, but if you have any copies of the Journal around, there will be a Pro-Cut ad in there, with phone number. Price depends on which cable you get--I have the 12' cable & am happy with it; some prefer the 15' one. Price is right around the $400 mark--not sure if it's now just over that, or still a bit under.
I've had my Double Ks for awhile now so haven't looked around at prices; perhaps someone else will chime in with a seller that offers a better price.

Thank you so much for the info!

Leslie,

I hate the Oster A-5's..i've never had good luck with them. They were a complete waste of money. I really like the Laube Lazors (Jen has a pair that we use a lot for show clipping) and i have a pair of Double K's. i'm not completely sold on the Double K's. I really hate the cable it's hard for me to maneuver and makes my wrist/arms tired but otherwise they clip well. I think i truly like the Laubes better. I haven't tried the andis or the whals but i would recommend paying a bit more for a good set of clippers it makes all the difference and will make life so much easier. The only exception to that rule is that I have found that family dollar used to sell a cheap $10.00 clipper that worked awesome... they started getting so they were more "cheap" and not working though..lol. Doesn't matter what you get for clippers they will still get hot... that is just the nature of the beast with a fast moving back and forth object.

I also have Oster Clip masters and just love them for spring clip downs and i even have used them for show clipping the body (they are super fast) and then just do heads and legs with either the Laubes or DK's.

Hillary

I have Laube's and love them!!!

When I first started out, I bought a pair of Wahl Chromados. They are great for finishing jobs, but can't handle body clipping. They would gum up no matter what! My clipper guy sales Andis clippers. He says they are awesome. Lots of dog people use them. There are several people who use them for horses. Not sure if they are doing the extensive clipping that we do with minis. But he couldn't say enough about them. But I bought Laube's from him.
default_laugh.png
Personally, if you're looking to do lots of body clipping, I would invest in a good pair of clippers with high RPMs (such as Laube's or Double Ks). They are less likely to leave clipper tracks and do the job very quickly. Laube's do have a smaller cord than Double Ks. As far as quality, they are both the same (IMO). I just like the small cord on Laube's. I have a miniLazor. So nice to manuever in the small areas around the legs and face. They sell new for like $250. I got mine used. Ebay is a great place to check. Just be sure they have a guarantee just in case they don't work.

[SIZE=12pt]Okay, now Hillary has me wondering...Has anyone else had experience with both the Double Ks and the Laube Lazors and have a preference?[/SIZE]

I just want to get the right clippers this time!
default_smile.png

See, I also have the Wahl Chromado and LOVE them too. I use them for everything but my show clipping....I use the Double K's for body clipping for show, but I do use the Wahls for clipping faces and legs, even for the show clips. For all my around home clipping--I wouldn't be without my Wahls. I body clip the babies, I do rough spring clips on all the horses, and use them for clipping legs, bridle paths and jaws, and also the belly clips on the soon-to-foal mares. I generally go through only 1 blade per season, and that's a lot of clipping--always on dirty horses too! Those Wahl blades go forever. I've had my Wahls for 4 or 5 years now--I can never remember if I bought them in 2004 or 2005--and they still hold a charge good; I get a lot of clipping out of one battery charging.

I would go through a couple blades each year on my Wahl Chromados. I actually found a guy in Montana that can sharpen those blades for $5!!! Saves me $30 for each blade.
default_laugh.png

See, I also have the Wahl Chromado and LOVE them too. I use them for everything but my show clipping....I use the Double K's for body clipping for show, but I do use the Wahls for clipping faces and legs, even for the show clips. For all my around home clipping--I wouldn't be without my Wahls. I body clip the babies, I do rough spring clips on all the horses, and use them for clipping legs, bridle paths and jaws, and also the belly clips on the soon-to-foal mares. I generally go through only 1 blade per season, and that's a lot of clipping--always on dirty horses too! Those Wahl blades go forever. I've had my Wahls for 4 or 5 years now--I can never remember if I bought them in 2004 or 2005--and they still hold a charge good; I get a lot of clipping out of one battery charging.

Okay, that is a pretty convincing argument as well...

Now I have 3 to try to choose between.
default_doh.gif

default_saludando.gif

jUST LOOKED UP ON eBAY... STARTING PRICE OF $339.00 INCLUDING POST GOING UP TO $400 FOR DOUBLE K'S

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been clipper shopping and have it narrowed down to these 2, Andis AGP Super 2 Speed Clipper and Oster Golden A5 Heavy Duty 2 speed Clipper. I'd like some opinions from those that have them. Which one is the quieter one, stays cooler longer, easy to take care of, how long do they last and anything else that you can think of? TIA
HI Leslie, I have BOTH of these clippers and they are both perfect for clipping the entire Mini! I bought the Oster first and used that for the first year and was quite satisfied with them! I decided to add a second pair of clippers and someone had recomended the Andis so I bought that. My plan was to use both, when one heated up I could just turn on the other and not have to wait for a cooldown! Well I have to say, I no longer use the Oster. The Andis are much quieter and do not heat up as much! I can get threw an entire 32" mini without having to shut them down. (of course the blades heat up so I do change those throughout the clip job.) I'd say go with the Andis for sure!
default_yes.gif

~Tammy

Latest posts

Back