Clipper problems!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopSpout

Reaction score
Hello!

Today was the second time clipping my mini, and the clippers are just not acting the way they were the first time! We have Oster A5 Turbo clippers. These weren't my first choice, I wanted the Andis 2-speed but they were sold out.
default_thumbdown.gif

So the first time they worked great, and other than our inexperience and some clipper marks, they did a fantastic job. Today, they started out okay and then...well, let's just say it looks like my poor little man got attacked by a weed whacker.
default_laugh.png

We were turning them off and spraying them with the icy cold lube spray, and using the little brush that came with them. The problem is that it's making stripe marks on him, where three stripes get cut and three don't. And that's if it cuts at all! So we took a close look at them and it seems the smaller blade isn't moving back and forth, instead the whole blade is vibrating as one piece. This was before we even took it off once.

So we took it off, brushed off the inside, lubed it really well, same thing. It just seems like the blade maybe isn't snapping on right. The instructions say turn on the clippers, then slide the blade on the little arm and snap it down. Which seemed dangerous to me but we tried it. Still cutting stripes!

We tried manually moving the smaller blade part back and forth and it takes a huge effort. We slid it out, lubed both pieces, put it back and still it just doesn't slide back and forth! Although I'm not sure how easily it should move back and forth without it being attached and turned on.

So any guesses on what is wrong? Is there some trick to getting the blade to snap on that we're missing? I was afraid the blade was maybe dull but this was only the second time we've used them on one mini and he's bathed thoroughly and dried before hand so he's squeaky clean.

Any advice would be appreciated, in the meantime I guess I will try to find the receipt just in case!
default_frusty.gif

Tracy

Have you made sure your mini is super clean when you clip him? Lots of show sheen and slightly damp works best. Maybe your blade is dull? Hopefully you get a good clip.

Your blades are dirty/dull/dry or all of the above. The spray cool lube doesn't really lube them like they need to be.

What works best is to have a clean horse if at all possible. I've done mine dirty a lot (helps being able to sharpen your own blades!)

I use the Blade Wash. When the clipper starts running slower, dip just the blades in the wash then put some clipper oil along the blades.

They blades could be out of adjustment too. The movement of the blades moving back and forth causes the tension to change. We've been sharpening blades for a few years now and have learned some tricks.

I've done up to 4 dirty horses with one set of blades just keeping them washed and oiled.

It could be one of several things, the blade is dull, or needs aliegnment as already explained or it could be a broken clipper guide or the little black hooky thing that holds on the the blade could need replacing.

You do have to have the clippers running to snap on the blades. If the bottom blade isn't moving, it's jammed or tight or dirty. I clean mine in rubbing alcohol while cilpping, and then spray with kool lube. First make sure the lever is working - take off the blades and there is a small black lever that moves the blade. Turn the clippers on and see if it's moving. If it's not, it's broke and needs to be replaced. If it is, clean the blades with alcohol, spray with kool lube, and try them. If still tight, try adjusting the screws to loosen the blades.

Sounds like some of the teeth on the blade are clogged with hair or the blade is lagging really bad. Please, please, please DO NOT use the cool lube spray. It is horrible for your equipment. I know all the major manufacturers sell it but it's horrible stuff. It does not provide enough lube. It actually strips the lube off your blades. If you oil your blades in between cuts you shouldn't need to lube them during cutting. That being said, own 2 blades of each size so that you can switch when the blade gets hot. You can clipper burn your horse using a blade that is too hot.

I use the exact same clippers you have on a daily basis. In my experience it's not the clipper it's the blade like was stated before my post. Every thing minimule said is golden advice
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back