Clippers used? recommend? any for sale?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shasta

Reaction score
I have some really good Oyster Gold clippers that I have had for ahhh..hmmm 7 years! Hard to believe but yes.. Seems that blades or clippers just won't handle my new mini additions...lol

About ready to buy some Double K's but wanted to see what everyone else was using or recommended first?

Thank you from Wa state!

Here is a picture of my mini needed clip job! Yes..the other blonde is me! heehee
P1000540.JPG

I got my Laube Mini Lazors from Rob at CLC Stables (The Clipper Barn), and I love them. They go right through the hair. Lots of folks here like the Double K's, they were just out of my price range for the job I needed them to do.

Stacye

My A 5's are probably 15 years old. They don't hold up to the work load around here either because the motor is in the handset unlike the Double K's where the motor is not in the handpiece. I like them a lot and their adjustable speed too, but I really get annoyed at getting hung in the cable. It's a long one too, but then of course I'm a klutz.

Just a suggestion would be to clip the winter hair off first with a size 5. That will get a lot off without dulling your good blades for the first spring clip of the year.

I use Double K's for some things and sometimes Oster A-5 and Andis Super 2 clippers for other areas. I have used the Double K clippers the most and I know they are costly but they are my favorite and well worth the money spent. I bought mine from Rob from CLC miniatures (The Clipper Barn), he has the best price around that I found for buying even though he was clear across the USA from me.

HI Shasta from another Washingtonian.

I use the Double K's. They glide thru the heavy coat

on a mini. I use my A-5's for the face ears and such.

Can't believe how much your mini's face looks like my mini mare....

Took me back for a minute....

Hi Shasta, I love your new addition. You can just send that one on down to Mississippi! Oh, and I love my Double K's Best clippers I ever owned and I have owned just about all of them since 1985.

Anne

Welcome from Western WA.....

I have Double K's & I absolutely LOVE THEM!! I know you can find them on the on-line auctions & I have even seen them on the LB auction. They work just great & I saved a bundle by finding the clippers on line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some Andis ACG Super Two Speeds, and I like them, BUT, this year I bought some Double K's. I have not used these yet, but it won't be long
default_smile.png

For body clipping I use Lister Star clippers. They glide through a mini's thick winter coat like a warm knife in butter. They are very lightweight in your hand.

Hi Shasta, I have the Oster Clipmaster for about 10 yrs, and now I have 2 sets of Dbl. K's too, between the two , I dont even think you can begin to compare the clip job..the Dbl. K's are great, they just clip right thru everything, including dirt! Corinne

I have also had my phase where I absolutely loved the double K's (Have 3 or 4 pairs laying around here), we've also had a couple Osters, but all of them after about 6 months of heavy duty use have gotten very loud, heat up fairly easily, and simply aren't cooperating unless they get a good bit of pro attention at keeping them good. But we now have a set of cordless Laube clippers. They are wonderful! NO BLADES TO CHANGE is my favorite part of it! There's just a switch on the back that slides back and forth, and that tells you how short it's going to cut. They're also EXTREMELY quiet, very lightweight, easy to use, everything! They are about $125 around here, comes with the clippers, two batteries, a charger, four combs and a hard carrying case (Plus the oil and blade brush of course). With a comb we can easily make tail sets perfect, then take the comb off, put the switch to the 40, and do their faces. They absolutely NEVER get hot. Ever. The blade has some plastic type covering, and they really don't ever get hot. And we've clipped quite a few horses with them by now, including having to tackle a few winter coats, even a couple dirty horses, and they're still perfect!

-Jess

Mini Lazors? I agree...price range is my issue here also...(o; I have 2 mini's to clip..maybe they would work for me?
default_unsure.png
:

I got my Laube Mini Lazors from Rob at CLC Stables (The Clipper Barn), and I love them. They go right through the hair. Lots of folks here like the Double K's, they were just out of my price range for the job I needed them to do.

Stacye

Good info...hmmm..I really want the double K's but the cost is a bit hard to swallow! lol

My dear non horsey husband looks at me like I'm totally nuts most of the time anyhow!

Anyhow..I'm sure most of you know..I have a quote from Rob and he is close to me..only 15 minutes from my place! (o;

but....but. but...always trying to keep my options open and see what everyone else is using..maybe someone has some Double K's laying around they are wanting to sell..heehee..

e-mail me if you guys/girls see a good deal out there..If not, I will be buying those Double K's in the next few months!

:saludando:

I have also had my phase where I absolutely loved the double K's (Have 3 or 4 pairs laying around here), we've also had a couple Osters, but all of them after about 6 months of heavy duty use have gotten very loud, heat up fairly easily, and simply aren't cooperating unless they get a good bit of pro attention at keeping them good. But we now have a set of cordless Laube clippers. They are wonderful! NO BLADES TO CHANGE is my favorite part of it! There's just a switch on the back that slides back and forth, and that tells you how short it's going to cut. They're also EXTREMELY quiet, very lightweight, easy to use, everything! They are about $125 around here, comes with the clippers, two batteries, a charger, four combs and a hard carrying case (Plus the oil and blade brush of course). With a comb we can easily make tail sets perfect, then take the comb off, put the switch to the 40, and do their faces. They absolutely NEVER get hot. Ever. The blade has some plastic type covering, and they really don't ever get hot. And we've clipped quite a few horses with them by now, including having to tackle a few winter coats, even a couple dirty horses, and they're still perfect!

-Jess

I have a couple sets of big Clipmasters that work great to get the bulk of the winter hair off with a size 5 blade. They are great as they run for quite a while without getting hot. Then I use my Wahl KM2 or my Oster A5 or my Double K's to do the actual clip rotating between all of them -when one gets warm I switch to the next. I find with Minis you can never have enough clippers! It is funny because I showed full size horses with only 1 set of Andis clippers that lasted for almost 20 years and they died 2 years after my first Mini arrived on the farm. I was very disappointed to find that I couldn't replace them as Andis had been bought out by Oster. I bought the Oster A5's and wasn't really happy with them but the Wahl KM2's are a great small clipper (and very reasonably priced) if you can only have one set.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back