Any tricks to get used to the clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrymini

Reaction score
My boy is almost three and never had the clippers on him. I've never clipped a horse before either.
default_ohnoes.jpg
I've got some little ones just for doing around face and legs which i'm trying to get him used to, he's totally scared of them so I'm taking it slow and just trying to get him comfortable with the noise. He'll let me rub him over with them if they're off but won't when they're on. My biggest fear is hurting him and I'll probably interpret any movement or fidgiting as pain. Any good tips on building confidence in clipping??

I have heard some people use battery operated massage balls. However the only way for them to get used to it is to keep clipping. Most of them get better the more they are clipped. I almost think it is the actual noise that bothers them. If you have to use tranquilizer so be it. Some times they only have to do it once. Most important try to be patient. I did my two year old colt a little at a time every day he got better, by the time I got to his legs and face he was a pro. I save the head, ears, and legs for last. Stop when the blades are hot. If you have to use a twitch to give him something to think about he may not be happy about it but at least you have his attention. Good luck.

Try going for a long walk with him first, doing a few ground manners excercise as you go.

When you are ready to clip the only talk should be telling him what you are going to do. This will help YOU to focus. He will respond more to body language than talk. Just an inch or two at first will do.

If your clipper blades are nice and sharp you will NOT hurt him! Don't be afraid of that. If they are dull, you might pull on his hair a little but it isn't going to hurt him.

Does he HAVE to be clipped? If so, then make up your mind you are going to do it. He will get the message.

I have a new shetland mare. She is 4 and was unhandled. I've had her 4 months and I haven't clipped her fetlocks yet. She lets me do her ears, but not her muzzle or feet yet. So, we are just moving along at our own pace; it may be next year before she gets her feet clipped. She is ground driving and doing tricks, but we haven't done the muzzle. Ho hum--it will come eventually.

One thing about working with the skittish horse I have become aware of, and that is holding onto him by the halter. Pulling down on the lead rope puts lots of pressure on the tender cartilage of the nose. I think it is better to have a fence or wall on one side that he can move against, instead of constantly pulling on his nose.

If he is a horse that kicks, I would move him along. I don't think you could ever trust him, and life is too short to keep a horse like that. You did not say if he is a stallion.

Sorry, I don't like twitching. I can see in a life-threatening situation it would be necessary, but not for clipping. Everybody has his own opinion about that, I know.

The sound is the problem. Turn the clippers on about 10 feet away from the horse and let them run for a bit, do this enough times so that it does not bother them when turned on. You could do this closer and closer but not let them touch him. Use the clippers on another horse next to them, kind of show them its okay on another horse.Begin by just holding the clippers on the body but not clipping, just letting them get used to the vibration. Patience and time.

Ears and head are definitely hardest, twitching can be okay if done properly, you can shoulder twitch instead of the nose. I always shoulder twitch with my hand when giving shots and my horses are very comfortable with it.

I had a new horse once that had only run in a pasture her whole life and I could not even pick up her feet at first, but I was successful by moving in slow stages, not forcing the issue and could even clip her legs after one week.

Thanks everyone, I just need confidence in myself i think lol

My boy is a stallion and he's not a kicker. He was very loved by previous owner but I don't think he was handled much as I had to teach him how to lead and stand tied etc. The clipper is brand new so I'm assuming its sharp and I don't want to do a full body clip, just his beard and feathers on his legs. I'm using the attachment so it still leaves some hair still there. I like the more natural look so I'll be curry combing him to get his woolies off.

I won't be able to twitch, I've seen it done but have not idea how to do it.

He will get used to them- I always start back by the shoulder or if you must, the rear and slowly start working my way forward. Make sure your clippers are fairly quiet ones if possible, sharp clean blades. Make sure the blades dont get too hot while clipping! Clean them often while clipping and use coolant. Have patience and good luck, lol You will be surprized that after a couple of times, he will probably be fine.

Without the blade on you just lightly rest the clippers on him while they run. You do this on several parts of his body until he learns it isn't going to hurt him. Then you can add the blade. This is how I taught my foals and my boys when they got their first haircuts
default_laugh.png
It's the sound and the vibration they have to get used to, the actual clipping is no big deal. This only will work if the foal places trust in you, probably by the time he is halter trained.

Country mini, I am sure it will eventually work out for you, I know what you mean about getting that beard clipped!.

A shoulder twitch is only grasping the skin in the shoulder area near the withers/mane with your hand and holding it firmly . It does not hurt the horse, but distracts him, and it is the place where you see horses grooming each other.

Try using a blow dryer. That way he has the "effect" of clipping without you having to touch him. It gets him used to the noise and the sensation. Turn the blow dryer on (low or no heat) and work it over his body. Once he relaxes (chew, drop his head, ears relax), turn them off and praise. Turn it back on and work around his body. Every time he relaxes, turn them off and praise. Eventually you will be able to work all over him with the dryer. Then introduce the clippers - he should accept them easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
To deal with the sound I've seen people run clippers (no blade) in the yard or stall during feeding time. I've also seen people use hair dyers or horse vacuums as that is sound and feel for the horse.

I have had a lot of 'first timers' before. I tend to tie them up, plug in the clippers and sort of show the horse, making sure he's aware of the clippers. I then turn the clippers on (not near the horse at first) and see how the horse reacts. As soon as I feel the horse is comfortable I move closer to the horse, turning the clippers on and off. I next rub the clippers down the horse (always down or the blades will catch on the hair and pull). I take the clippers slightly away and turn them back on and sort of repeat the process until the horse is more relaxed.

Now I actually shave a bit of the hair off, always on the horse's shoulder. This usually feels quite good for the horse (feels like a good scratch!) and most of the time the horse will then just stand there and pull faces. If your horse basically freaks out, take a step back and keep repeating the process. If you really can't get the clippers near the horse at all - put the clippers away and do a complete step back - desensitising lessons will be needed here
default_smile.png

It's super important that your horses first time is a good one. This means the clippers cannot be blunt! Or else they will pull, and there's no way your horse will behave for you this or next time. The most important rule is NEVER get mad at your horse. He will react to this and play up even more. Keep calm and talk sweetly to your horse. He doesn't know what you're saying but the 'calmness' in your voice will help keep him calm.

just his beard and feathers on his legs.
O my! You want to start off with the hardest part! I, too, dislike that beard. Uhg! It took me a couple of weeks to get the beard off mine.

I have seen the shoulder twitch done by the chiropractor on a horse that would not stand still. I just observed, and was not taught how to do it. Next time I will ask to be taught the technique. It looked like a useful thing to know. Perhaps your vet can show it/explain it to you, and then you can decide if it is something you can use.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back