Clippers! Need Advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FurstPlaceMiniatures

Reaction score
I am looking for a smaller (think, A5) sized pair of clippers. I have big body clipping clippers that are awesome, but are too big for a lot of spots on my little man.

I want to spend about a hundred dollars, and buy new, but I thoroughly understand the importance of quality clippers!

Any brand / model you like at that price point? I want something that will hold up.

$125 - Wahl Arco SE cordless clippers--they stand up very well, and are perfect for those awkward spots that the big clippers are a bit clumsy with.

I really like my Wahl Storm II clippers, cost around $170 and really like the Wahl blades. I agree on the Osters. They were the first type of clippers I used and did not like the clippers nor the blades.

$125 - Wahl Arco SE cordless clippers--they stand up very well, and are perfect for those awkward spots that the big clippers are a bit clumsy with.
Agreed! I actually like these better than my double K's

I have 4 sets of andis agc 2speed. Love, love, love them. I have a double k and use them for first clippings each year but use the andis all summer long. I can clip a horse from front to back including ears and feet in 90 mins or less with them as long as I switch the blades often and let them cool.

I use the Oster Turbo A-5 2 Speed Horse clippers. I have a friend who uses these and Double Ks.I believe these are around $110 on Amazon (new). As with all clippers make sure your horse is super clean or dirt will dull them, clean and cool the blades while clipping.

Oster_NewTurbos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I "third" the Wahl Arco SE cordless...they're a great size, cut nicely, they're quiet and stay cool, and their blades have multiple settings and are easy to change.

We are double K girls when it comes to body clipping and use Oster A-5 for finish work. Same blades work on both sets of clippers and we have had some of our blades for 20 years. They are easy to get sharpened if they get dull.

For body clipping, especially the long winter coats, IMO nothing beats the double K. However, on the legs, sometimes, I will use my battery Wahl (around $40-50 and not good for much else) and for the finish of the ears and eyes I like the Wahl Pocket Pro (battery and only around $20 or less---Palm size and great for quick touch-ups). Each to their own.

I have the big Oster show pro's for body clipping, which I LOVE! Cut through even the toughest hair like a breeze (they are made for cattle, and even have attachments for shearng sheep, the motor can hold up to my mini very well. I clip dairy cattle with them frequently, i am an experenced bdy clipper.) I jus tneed something smaller for face, legs, etc. My Wahl Showpro's last year didn't last long at all, so i am hesitant about Wahls. My mother had a pair of A5's for 15 years, which burnt up last year while clipping my mini. What about Andis's?

I would have no fear of the Wahl Arcos not lasting--my Wahl Chromados have been doing heavy clipping for 8 years, stil on the original battery. I do all my spring body clips, show clips, foal body clips with those clippers and they are still going. The battery slowed down a bit last summer but it still does a lot of clipping per charge. The Arco is the same quality--I bought it instead of another Chromado because the Arco comes with two batteries. The Chromado has to be taken to a repair shop to have the battery replaced so the Arco is better in that respect.

Back