Clipped my yearling colt, Help with color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I clipped my yearling colt today, and I was wondering what color he is???? I think maybe a smokey black? His sire is black & white Overo and Dam is a Bay. This was my 2nd time clipping, I think he looks pretty good, and he was such a good boy!! :aktion033: Thanks

Project4.jpg

Really can't tell from the picture, but probably brown.

Clipping does not show true color, so I would rather see pics before clipping or as a foal.

But I would say black, they often clip out grey/brown.

I agree that he looks like he is a black...undercoat always is that colour. Wait a week or so and see what colour the body hairs grow back. This will also give you an idea how many days you will need to clip him before a show in order for him to look black in the ring. Something you usually don't worry about with most other colours.

You are right about the black, it has only been 2 days and he is starting to darken back up already. His foal picture is my avatar, I thought that he could maybe be a brown, but I am still a little unsure. So what does a smokey black look like? Does anyone have one that I can see?

Smokey blacks mostly look just like another black, sometimes a bit more faded.

You can test if he carries cream to confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to go with brown as well. He looks alot like my Bronze when he gets his first clip of the season.

This was taken in the middle of summer last year about two weeks or so after a clip.

buffhead.jpg

Although you may not want to get color guidence from me. :lol:

Here are a couple of pictures of my Smokey Black Pinto stallion, Bears Snips Illustration (a.k.a. Bandit).

nash002001.jpg

nash002005.jpg

This year he has thrown a Palomino Pinto filly (from a Sorrel Pinto mare)

A Buckskin Pinto colt (from a Silver Bay mare)

A Palomino Pinto colt (from a solid Sorrel mare)

and a Silver Black filly with near bald face and white socks from a Silver Black mare with star and strip and white socks).

In the past, he has thrown everything from solid Black to solid White.

Latest posts

Back