clicker training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norah

Reaction score
I have been thinking about trying clicker training for a while .... anyone out there using this training method ? can you IM me with some info ? how do you like it , and why . What are the best books to start out with , are there programs out there that you recomend ? I see that there are a lot of people out there promoting their clickers , and clinics , before I invest in one of them I would love some feedback from active clicker users and trainers. one last question ...do they work on husbands too? lol
default_wink.png

I have not done clicker training with my minis but I did it with a Standardbred riding horse. He learned to give me a kiss when asked, to bow down, to hide his head under my arm when I said, "Shame on you!" And when I told him to say hello to someone he'd paw his foot three times on the ground. He also learned to shake his head "no" and "yes" when asked certain questions. It was very easy. He was a very smart horse. It worked easier with him than with all the other riding horses I had and tried.

I didn't buy a book. I just looked for tips on line. I didn't buy a clicker either. We had an old "Jeopardy" board game with clickers in it and I threw out the game but saved the five clickers and use one of them. Save yourself the money on the "fringe" stuff. Why spend it, when you can get the info on line. And you don't need to use a "clicker" they sell. Use a whistle. Use a buzzer, make a kissing sound. Ring a bell. It's not the "clicker" that teaches them.... it's the "sound" associated with a reward. It can be any sound.

I've done a small amount of clicker training, and have found it to be EXTREMELY effective, especially for basic ground manners. Like weebiscuit, I used information from the web rather than buying the books, and while I started with a cheap PetSmart clicker, I switched to clicking with my mouth, which I always have with me.

I first used clicker training to teach my horses not to rush the gate or invade my body space. Since then, I've used it primarily as a reinforcement and a reward for good behavior. It has worked beautifully with driving, and I also used it to get my filly to accept grooming, clipping. While I started with treats, I primarily follow the click with words of praise and scritches.

I have such a strong habit of clicking that I have to be careful not to "click" my husband and others who do something I like!

Amy Lacy -- ClickMini on this forum -- has done a great deal of clicker training with her horses. I would post on the main forum where more will see this.

If you are on Facebook, search for Clicker Training Horses..I belong to her group on Facebook and it is full of information and besides Peggy is a gem.. ..It is with Peggy Hogan.. She is also on Youtube. . I clicker train and it makes a BIG difference.My Mini was a little shy when having his feet trimmed,but with clicker training he is SO good with my farrier..And it is just fun,even with the big horses..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back