cleaning feet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
I have been trying to get into a routine of cleaning my horses hooves. I do my foals while he is sleeping, and he does very well.
default_wub.png
We are practicing giving them while standing, but to do any real cleaning, it works better when he is sleeping.

My mare Silver, does very well!
default_aktion033.gif
I am surprised, because she did not have consistent hoof care before. She gives them easily and stands fairly still.

My other mare, Rainbow, is a terrible hopper! :DOH! She literally jumps on 3 legs! Then sometimes she will just collapse on her knees. I don’t know if this is laziness or a problem. She does not seem in pain, or to have any hoof issues. I think she is just being a pain. She does not WANT to have her feet cleaned so she does whatever possible to make it hard. Can I have some ideas on helping her stand square, and still? She will give her feet, but does not stand still, she will hop, walk in circles, and lay down. Any ideas please share them!!!

I have (hopefully) a regular farrier, and I want her job to be as easy as possible by keeping the horses clean, and used to standing on 3 legs! Plus I like to make sure nothing gross is going on.

thanks!!
default_saludando.gif

Your horse is just being a flake, it'll get better the more you work with them.

Carolyn

Ha ha, I think you are right. I was thinking about her, I think she is a smart mare, and she has learned some *tricks* along the way to avoid doing things she does not want to do.
default_wub.png

You can see the look in her eye sometimes.

100_2110.jpg

She is friendly, but a bit watchfull. But it has been great! Since her small belly ache, and now with the big mean vet out for shots, I am much nicer in her eyes! She has been way more affectionate, and my 2 mares and me even shared a little grooming session where I scratched and they did the chew each other thing. It was special, because Rainbow does not do that often.

What you've described with Rainbow is something I experienced with most of my 7 horses, so it's not uncommon and it will improve as you find what works best for each horse. Your post brought back a lot of fond memories for me.

When my first 2 minis appeared about 8 years ago, my horse-experienced neighbor came over literally every day to hold the lead on each horse while I learned to pick up their feet and clean them. My neighbor had previously been a farrier, and she assertively insisted that I clean hooves every day no matter what. I am eternally grateful to her, since cleaning hooves was one of the many things I didn't know about horses at that point. Having a header who keeps the horse from moving far, repetition, patience, and consistently rewarding the desired behavior helped me work with the horses' hooves.

I'm not an expert by any means, but now my horses are pretty cooperative when the farrier, my husband, the vet, or I inspect or clean their hooves. As soon as I set down the finished hoof, they will lightly lift the next leg anticipating which hoof will be next.

Starting at the shoulder or at the hip, slide your hand down the leg, lifting a hoof, holding it up a few inches for two seconds and setting it right back down. If the horse stands still for those two seconds, reward it greatly. Repeat on the same hoof, and give a reward (lots of praise, scratches, a treat, whatever). Make the sessions very short so there's a chance for success. Be patient and don't expect too much all at once. One leg a day may be fine for a few days. Gradually increase the number of legs until you've been successful with all of them. Start on different legs on different days, too. The "leg of impatience" might improve if it has attention first, shorter sessions, and more praise.

Next, clean the hoof lightly with the pick for perhaps five seconds, then set the hoof down. Keep the time short, and the hoof not too high off the ground. Reward profusely. Repeat with the same hoof. The purpose is for the horse to learn that lifting the hoof and feeling slight pressure doesn't have to be uncomfortable or result in a game of fight/flight. As with other horse lessons, it's best to stop on a successful note. You can always add another hoof the next time. Continue to the other hooves gradually. Again, be patient. One hoof may be the limit during each session at first. Three hooves might be successful next week, and perhaps all the hooves by the third or fourth week.

Rainbow might improve as you work with her frequently in shorter sessions and the more you reward her for her tiny successes. Especially with Rainbow and the foal, I would have a header there as often as possible. A little experimentation might help you discover what works best for each horse. For example, one of my horses relaxed much better if he could eat from his manger when we started his hoof lessons. Another horse was less antsy if I walked him a little after working on each hoof. A couple of them stood more patiently when another horse was tied next to them during the beginning lessons. And standing next to a wall helped a horse or two not move around so much. They all still seem to relax best If I brush them first, with the hooves the last step in their grooming routine.

In the past, my horse, Sandy, enjoyed leaning into me heavily when I picked his hooves, but if I moved away, he lost his balance, making him stop leaning on me. I immediately resumed working on the same hoof as if nothing had happened. I don't know if that's wrong or right, but it stopped the behavior.

Repetition, consistency, patience, and a header combined to make this a success for me and my horses. I hope this helps you a little.

Pam

sandyboy, that did help alot!! Thank you!!
default_aktion033.gif

But what is a header? Is that a person to stop them from moving, or a built thing to keep them still? or something else?

The more you work with their feet the better they will get. Thats all horse, some take it better than others!

Same with kids and hair cuts. Some just don't care, then the other scream their eyes out!!!!

When I used the term "header" I was referring to the person standing by the horse's head, holding the halter or the lead line. I didn't mean to cause confusion.

I think you'll see lots of improvement and find it quite rewarding as you continue working with your horses.

Pam

thank you! I do love working with them! I just love to walk out there and see horses! I swear I am so obnoxious about them! I made a photo movie for a friend and there were more horse pics than kid pics!!

Latest posts

Back