Quantcast

Classifieds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

equine_luver

Active Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Indiana
One thing I can't stand when I'm looking through the paper is an ad that says "two year old filly colt" or something like that. I drives me nuts. I have also seen a Gelding listed as a guilding, hehe, wonder what that is? What kind of classified mistakes have you seen?
 

Dona

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
3,377
Reaction score
2
Location
Piqua, Ohio
Oh yea....see'em all the time. Remember, that lots of times, the ads are just called into the newspapers & it's actually the person taking the ad over the phone who isn't familiar with equine terminology.

I've seen philly or phillie used ALL the time!


Other misspells or 'wrong wording' I've seen...

guilding

mare colt (which is it?)

horse is green brock

sorrol

mare has been bread

I once saw an ad for an "avacodo" poodle! I'd love to have seen that one!
(I'm sure they "meant" apricot.)
 

MInx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
0
Location
Straits Area Michigan
It does, as one would wonder how much that prospective buyer might know regarding proper care.

Than said I ALSO feel it's a good opportunity to teach them even just the right terminology..everyone started somewhere


Maxine
 

Songcatcher

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Messages
3,458
Reaction score
1
Location
Valliant, OK 74764 near Texas and Arkansas
equine_luver said:
One thing I can't stand when I'm looking through the paper is an ad that says "two year old filly colt" or something like that. I drives me nuts. I have also seen a Gelding listed as a guilding, hehe, wonder what that is? What kind of classified mistakes have you seen?
434923[/snapback]

Are you talking about the newspaper or this Forum?


Some of the spelling on here is almost illegible. I'm not talking about minor mistakes, I'm talking horrendous!

Terminology is sometimes regional or age related (ie. colt, filly, foal) but spelling should be universal (Well, national at least).
 

Miss_Fortune

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
381
Reaction score
0
Location
NH
The strangest one I have seen was a "Solid black horse" & then on the next line it said that the horse was a "very loud overo".

It was a bit confusing.
 

Marty

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
13,596
Reaction score
520
Location
Tennessee
If you are in the south, "filly colt" is not unusual.
 

chandab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
12,162
Reaction score
2,248
Location
NE Montana
Marty said:
If you are in the south, "filly colt" is not unusual.
435001[/snapback]

It's fairly common here in Montana, too. Don't forget to add "stud colt" to that list.

My favorite is "philly"... What is she a cheesesteak sandwich?
 

ruffian

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
3,500
Reaction score
17
Some of the spelling on here is almost illegible. I'm not talking about minor mistakes, I'm talking horrendous!
THANK YOU SONGCATCHER!!

Having worked as a professional secretary for 10+ years, I HATE that!!

I also cringe when I see the word "infamous" used incorrectly -- son of the "INFAMOUS OHMIGOSH HE'S WONDERFUL" Makes me think this stallion's feet pointed east and west, and his ears were on backwards


Another pet peeve - computersese. DO U NO WHAT I AM SAYING 2U?? UGGGHH!

OK - off the old fashioned (but literate!) soap box!!
 

littlesteppers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
1,392
Reaction score
0
Well..since LB is international..there are many People on here that don't speak perfect English..also English is my second language..I am sure I am "guilty" of many spelling errors Not to talk about grammar..
BUT I tell people if you can't read my spelling we can write that whole thing in GERMAN!!


Got to add..I hate it a lot more if NO price is on classifieds !!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

midnight star stables

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
5,362
Reaction score
0
Location
Pefferlaw, Ontario
Miss_Fortune said:
The strangest one I have seen was a "Solid black horse" & then on the next line it said that the horse was a "very loud overo".It was a bit confusing.

434983[/snapback]

that one makes sence to me.. a black overo with loud markings... it's just worded oddly... by sloid black i guess they mean it's black, not brown, bay or grey... a true black... JMO
 

Cathy_H

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
2,113
Reaction score
0
This was in our local paper this week......... "Miniature horse "gelding, ..... pulls a cart & can be ridden by grandma - under 32 in w/saddle, cart & harness."
 

Songcatcher

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Messages
3,458
Reaction score
1
Location
Valliant, OK 74764 near Texas and Arkansas
littlesteppers said:
Well..since LB is international..there are many People on here that don't speak perfect English..also English is my second language..I am sure I am "guilty" of many spelling errors Not to talk about grammar..
 
BUT I tell people if you can't read my spelling we can write that whole thing in GERMAN!!
 
Got to add..I hate it a lot more if NO price is on classifieds !!

435019[/snapback]

Christine, I've never noticed any problem with your spelling or grammar. I'm sure mine's not perfect. I am by no means multi-lingual, but I think German or Spanish would be easier to read than some of what is supposed to be English and comes from here in North America.

I realize that when people who primarily use another language try to converse in English their grammar is sometimes a little mixed up. That doesn't bother me. I realize that British English (or should I say the Queen's English) spells some words differently than we do in America. That doesn't bother me. I realize that there are sometimes typographical errors. That doesn't bother me. It's those that don't know, don't care, don't try that bother me.

I teach History in High School and I've had Exchange students from Germany and Brazil that can write and speak English better than students who have lived here all their lives. THAT BOTHERS ME!
 

Stephanie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
416
Reaction score
0
I think my biggest pet peeve is when people refer to miniature pintos as PAINT horses. I cringe everytime I see that one.
 

chandab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
12,162
Reaction score
2,248
Location
NE Montana
Stephanie said:
I think my biggest pet peeve is when people refer to miniature pintos as PAINT horses. I cringe everytime I see that one.
435047[/snapback]

Me, too!

But, then I own two Paints, both registered APHA mares. I also own two minis, neither are pintos (but, I do want a pinto mini, someday).
 
L

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis

Guest
a pinto is a horse of any breed that fits the color requirements which is what our minis are
 

littlesteppers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
1,392
Reaction score
0
Songcatcher said:
littlesteppers said:
Well..since LB is international..there are many People on here that don't speak perfect English..also English is my second language..I am sure I am "guilty" of many spelling errors Not to talk about grammar..
 
BUT I tell people if you can't read my spelling we can write that whole thing in GERMAN!!
 
Got to add..I hate it a lot more if NO price is on classifieds !!

435019[/snapback]

Christine, I've never noticed any problem with your spelling or grammar.

435033[/snapback]

Well Thank you..I am trying..
But I guess my point is we never know the history of the person posting..even if their last name is Smith does not mean they live here all their live..
or maybe they never finished school..does that affect the care and quality of the horses they got for sale??

There are adds perfectly worded with a 10 year old riding a 29inch mini!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Stephanie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
416
Reaction score
0
midnight star stables said:
Stephanie said:
I think my biggest pet peeve is when people refer to miniature pintos as PAINT horses. I cringe everytime I see that one.
435047[/snapback]

what do you mean by this..?

i commonly us both terms in minis?

435060[/snapback]

A Paint's sire and dam must be registered with American Paint Horse Association, the American Quarter Horse Association, or the Jockey Club

The Horse must have some white or spots on his body

A Paint's sire and dam both must be registered with the American Paint Horse Association only

The terms "Paint" and "Pinto" are often confused when referring to a horse with a light and dark coat pattern. In fact, they have different meanings. The Pinto Horse Association is a color registry, and Pintos can be any breed.
 
L

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis

Guest
oops sorry thanks stephanie went and saw my post and forgot the most important part that a paint must be a REG QH or a REG T/B as well as the color issue
 

alphahorses

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
464
Reaction score
0
Location
OH
A lot of long-time shetland people use the term "colt" for either a filly or a colt. I found it very confussing when I went looking for my first filly and they would say things like "yes, we have a few very nice colts for you to look at" .. and I'm thinking, "didn't I specifically say I wanted a filly?" LOL Just a different tradition I guess.

On the PAINT vs PINTO question, take a look at the registration requirements for the Paint and Pinto associations and that will give you an idea of the differences. Minis can't be registered as Paints.

American Paint Horse Association: www.apha.com

American Pinto Horse Association: www.ptha.org

By the way, draft horses are usually referred to as "spotted" if they have pinto markings (spotted does not mean appaloosa with Draft horses)
 

Latest posts

Top