Classifieds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the last one I saw that really got me was listed as a 3 year old "meyer". In this particular paper the ads are put in at random, so it was not in the horse or livestock section, and I'll admit it took me a minute to figure out what a "meyer" was
laugh.gif

And yes I think it is often the people in the office that put it down wrong, not the person who owns the animal.

MiniWrangler said:
And yes I think it is often the people in the office that put it down wrong, not the person who owns the animal.

435179[/snapback]

How right you are! I put in an ad once for a QH gelding and of course they put in "guilding" despite the fact that I had carefully spelled it out for them. They re-ran the ad at no cost .... and this time listed him as a 1/4 horse! I'm not kidding!
wacko.gif
Now who wants to buy 1/4 of a horse! LOL

I had always been told pintos just have big spots (usally on ponies) were as paints have different types(overo, tabaino etc.) i guess i'm wrong!!

what i thought a pinto was

JOY.jpg

or

Horse.gif

from J&J Ranch(www.zyworld.com/ jnjranchhome/StallionInfo.htm)

what i thought a paint was

Moon_rt_side3_July_15.jpg

(owned by Rebecca, "Beccy" from http://www.treherneminis.com)

OK I have one for you...

The confirmation of this horse meets the standard of perfection.......instead of.....The conformation of this horse meets the stand of perfection

Conformation: The manner in which something is shaped,structured, or arranged

Confirmation: The act of confirming to show proof; a religious rite that admits a person to full membership in a church

Karen

midnight star stables said:
I had always been told pintos just have big spots (usally on ponies) were as paints have different types(overo, tabaino etc.) i guess i'm wrong!!
I'm still learning about color genetics myself, but the color types for both Paint and Pinto are the same:

Tabiano

Overo (frame and splash)

Tovero

Sabino

(Did I miss one?)

What distinguishes Paint from Pinto is type & breed, not color
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
HEHEHE...When my first foal was born, the newspaper lady here wanted to do an artical. I gave her information and she took pictures...of my colt. When the paper came out there was a huge picture of my week old baby with a caption about my "miniature mare"! Guess I should have spent more time educating on ages, sex and such!

okay, here's another one since littlesteppers brought it up
biggrin.gif

Anyone else hate when there is no price listed, or when the entire sales page is nothing but SOLD horses ... or you have to sort through pages and pages of sold horses trying to figure out which are sold and which are not?
new_shocked.gif

"I think the last one I saw that really got me was listed as a 3 year old "meyer". In this particular paper the ads are put in at random, so it was not in the horse or livestock section, and I'll admit it took me a minute to figure out what a "meyer" was

And yes I think it is often the people in the office that put it down wrong, not the person who owns the animal."

Hehehehe, I sat here trying to figure out what a meyer was. Just for those people who are as slow as me it is "mare"

That conformation/confirmation one is one of my favs. I've even seen it in magazines, where it ain't cheap to advertise. I wonder, is the horse Catholic? And if so, did he decide for himself or was he raised by Catholic parents?
biggrin.gif

Also, a lot of older farmers around here call all horse babies "Colts." If it's a girl, it's a filly colt. Took me a while to catch on.

Oh, and I love "gildings." Are those horses gold-plated????????? hahaha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I have two. The first is "gait" not gate. "When someone says the horse has a beautiful gate." Really, does the rest of the fence also come with the horse.
biggrin.gif

The other is show quality. Are we talking local (all breed show, 4-H, regional , national level? Most horses can be shown is some event at a some level.
biggrin.gif

I know I just being picky but I can't help it.

Little Wee Horse Farm said:
That conformation/confirmation one is one of my favs. I've even seen it in magazines, where it ain't cheap to advertise. I wonder, is the horse Catholic? And if so, did he decide for himself or was he raised by Catholic parents? 
biggrin.gif

Also, a lot of older farmers around here call all horse babies "Colts."  If it's a girl, it's a filly colt. Took me a while to catch on. 

Oh, and I love "gildings."  Are those horses gold-plated????????? hahaha!

436011[/snapback]

Hey Little WEe..the catholics have Communion..the protestants have confirmation!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure catholics have confirmation too. The little kids have communion, but then later there's confirmation. Anyone know?

Anyhow, still............

Catholics have communion for everyone and have confirmation for the younsters.

My favorite (NOT) is Heard instead of Herd...

Little Wee Horse Farm said:
I'm pretty sure catholics have confirmation too. The little kids have communion, but then later there's confirmation. Anyone know?
Anyhow, still............

436477[/snapback]

OOOHKay..sooooorrry..
worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif
worshippy.gif
thats German stuff..
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
we have it somewhat different..sorry..forgive me??
hypocrite.gif
hypocrite.gif

Gotta guestion for ya'll...... If you heard the name Freud before you ever saw it spelled how would you have spelled it? If you saw the name Freud before you heard how it was pronounced how would you have pronounced it? .............. No need to answer but I'm betting some of you pronounced it the same way I did.

Ok, I am easily entertained and not a proper terminology posh kinda guy but I saw an add yesterday on a website for a mini stallion that kinda made me laugh and wonder if the down home sales tactic works..... in the description it said, "nuts are down".

Bluntly honest and to the point.....ya think.
laugh.gif

I have been around and owned horses for about 30 years. I was guilty of the paint/pinto issue. A good friend informed me what the proper usage was about 5 years ago.
smile.gif
I had no idea.
smile.gif

Back