Cichad killers(look like wasps)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
Around the barn yards are dry lots with a lot of sandy soil. For the past three years we have these wasp like cicada killers. They are huge and scarey looking and buzz around, but they are peaceful and really are not a problem. But they do make me nervous because of their looks. I am afraid that if they get aggitated or if I accidentally step on one, they might become nasty.

What do you know about these insects? Is there a way of getting rid of them?

I know that as soon as it gets cold they either die off or stay underground.

Thanks,

Robin

We have the same thing going on. I don't know how to get rid of them and I haven't tried because they have never bothered me or my minis.

Here's some info on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cicada_killer

I wish we had your problem...unfortunately we are dealing with Mahogany wasps (red wasps) that attacked me a couple of weeks ago while I was opening my chicken coop in the morning, and yellow jackets. Those red wasps are VERY aggressive and come after you with a vengence. I got stung twice on the head and had I not taken off running the others would have latched on too. We just finished power washing 4 yellow jacket hide outs from behind our shutters on our porch. Seems like an epidemic this year for what ever reason.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a lot of cicada killers here too, but I don't mind them since they are very nonthreatening. Like Sterling it's the red wasps here that I am very afraid of. they are vicious! and the hotter it gets the madder they are.

The best thing I've found for the red wasps is to set up one of those battery fly sprayers. (for years we fought them with wasp spray) I put one on the covered patio last year after years of not being able to use the porch swing or enjoy my morning tea out there. It wiped them out in about a month and none have come back this year.....but I have the sprayer waiting!

We had wasps like that when we lived in OR when I was a kid. We raised rabbits for market and at times you lose bunnies at birth and in the first week. My mom would set the dead baby on the table in the center of her hutches and when she came back (got done checking litters) the bunny would be covered with these wasps. By afternoon all that would be left was the skull. The wasps nested in the ground and my brother was 2 and kicked dirt into a hole that was a nest. He was swarmed and stung and bitten by these beggers. My mom pulled them off of him in hands fulls. From then on when we found a nest my father would pour gas down the hole and light it. Then he would dig dig down a bit pour more gas and light again. I hate wasps and am allergic to a simple honey bee.

Latest posts

Back