GIANT wasps in dry lot!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
My main barn yards are dry lots. The horses have pasture but I do not let them on it all day long.

In my stallion pen, there are these GIANT wasp like flying critters. They burrow in the ground making a mound of sandy soil with a hole(entrance I suppose) in it. They do not seem agressive and they seem to ignore Phantom and best of all they ignore me when I am out doing the barn chores. I am not exagerating when I say they are2-3 inches long and look like giant chunky wasps. Do you know what they are? ARE they dangerous? Any ideas????

Thanks!

Robin

Hi Robin...google: cicada killer...we have them here too....nothing to be worried about

Renee

Hi Robin...google: cicada killer...we have them here too....nothing to be worried about

Renee
Wow! Renee, thsnk you! I did google just now. Very interesting critters! So glad they are not mean!

Thanks!

Robin

They are wonderful wasps, have seen them grab a fly off a horse and take it down into their burrows, wish I had more around here!!

We have them here, also, particularly in dry, hot summers. They look like little helipcopters to me, and I was terrified some years ago until I found out what they are.

Pretty amazing to see them haul a large caterpillar in the air, and then push it down into a hole.

I used to be terrified of those when I was a kid because I always thought they were chasing me...
default_laugh.png
It is weird because we used have tons of those around but I have not seen one in years now.

Never heard of those!! I would have been freaked out too!

I have never heard of or seen those either! But if I did, I would have freaked out. I hate bees and wasps....

I was scared of them at first as they are all over our horse pens but I have to say they really cut down on the other nasty bugs and flies around here

Latest posts

Back