Chipped hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
This is the first year that I am noticing chips out of the hooves. Receive regular farrier work. We had an exceptionally dry year and am wondering if that or perhaps nutrition can impact on the feet. Our weather is such that our hay can vary significantly from year to year. Would appreciate hearing of any similar experience and if any feed supplement might help.

Biotin is a good supplement for hooves but hoofmaker also works. You rub it around the coronet band and wall. Only problem is that it worked so well that it was like trimming hooves of steel
default_unsure.png

Nutrition, health program, environment can certaintly affect the feet. You can try a hoof supplement, certaintly wouldn't hurt. I've had good success with what Farnam puts out.

Another thing you could try if it is very dry is to let the water overflow with the hose when you fill up there outside buckets so that they stand mud whilst they drink, or hose their feet and then apply hoof grease which will block in the moisture.

Eagle--that doesn't work so well here this time of year...makes too much ice! We're having a mild winter, but overflowing water pails still = ice.

We had a major problem with cracking hoofs one year--well trimmed hoofs wouldn't just chip, they'd break up badly. The best supplement available locally at that time was Sho Glo--we started giving Sho Glo to all the horses and it made a huge difference in their feet--no more chips, cracks or breaks

ah, sorry I hadn't realised you were getting it so cold
doh.gif
I would suggest Biotin as it is one of the best for feet problems.

LOL, I was going to suggest what Eagle did- letting the water run over since that is a natural, cheap and easy way to get moisture back in the feet and we dont have ice like that here. Is your farrier taking off enough? Are they 'finishing' the foot with a rasp when done? That seems to help avoid chipping. Sometimes if the feet spread too much, they will chip a bit as a natural means of trying to get rid of the extra.

Latest posts

Back