Chewing How can i stop it?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic Hill Farm

Reaction score
the girls have been chewing on our barn, this is the second time it has happend. The first time we fed them No-Chew, and they stoped. so when we noticed them starting it up again i got it and have been giving it to them. They get Hay 3-4 times a day it small ammounts. plus grain at night. and they have acsess to a salt block. Is thee something else i'm leaving out? i think it has to do with boredum, because since we put jason down i have noticed it alot more, and it's become destructive!

Can donkeys have kelp?

When my horses run out of kelp, and I don't get a new supply within a week, they will start chewing wood and/or eating clay from one spot in the pasture.

A friend of mine has 30 donkeys or more, minis to mammoths, and tells me that donkeys chew wood...period.
default_laugh.png
I would have to think there is a reason other than that they are donkeys.
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Donkeys are nortorious for chewing wood, and boy~~ do my stalls prove that! Hubby finally got tired of replacing stall boards and now, I just have certain stalls they go in..and those boards are not going to get replaced again! I have all wood 3 rail gates, and they dont touch a thing when they are outside, just in the stalls, which makes me think it could be boredom, but they have playtoys hanging. The only way I can combat there chewing, is by putting hot sauce on the boards. That will keep them away for about 2-3 months, and then I just reappply it. Its the regular hot sauce that we use for our food. I put it into a spary bottle and spray the boards down. Nothing else has helped, I have tried it all, also seems to be just my jacks that do it, my jennys dont touch wood. There good girls!

Celtic, buy the biggest bottle you can find, and spray or wipe it on REALLy good..also the hottest hot sauce..lol.. I have a friend who owns a steak house and she has 2 donkeys, they were chewing up everything, I told her I use hot sauce, and now she takes home all the left over hot sauce from the supper club and "attacks" (those are her words!) her wood once a week..so far its working! Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
My donkeys are slowly eating the barn door, now Cherokee has quite a draft in his stall because of their chewing!

But mine eat tree roots in the pasture....but they do not eat the wood in their stall, maybe because they share a stall.

Who knows what their little minds are thinking, got to love them!!

My former yearling jack (formerly mine, formerly a jack...) chewed thru three boards in a gate to get to a miniature horse. Mule photos to follow in 8 months!

Latest posts

Back