checking a mare in foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using Foal Proof, it's 120 days (although 100 days will probably give you a good result if you are 100% positive about your dates, the manufacturer simply says 120 days to account for those people who aren't exactly sure of their breeding dates
default_smile.png
).

Urine tests can be used at 110 days.

If you are using Foal Proof, it's 120 days (although 100 days will probably give you a good result if you are 100% positive about your dates, the manufacturer simply says 120 days to account for those people who aren't exactly sure of their breeding dates
default_smile.png
).

Urine tests can be used at 110 days.
Im using the vet. And would like to know if its the same that way I can make a phone call

Using the vet as in a palpation/ultrasound? A skilled vet can detect an embryo as soon as 12 days post ovulation. Most vets prefer a little later, around 15-18 days.

Using the vet as in a palpation/ultrasound? A skilled vet can detect an embryo as soon as 12 days post ovulation. Most vets prefer a little later, around 15-18 days.
I would perfer NOT to palpate her, as my vets hands and arms are big! I may try an ultrasound. Thanks!

Ultrasounds are done transrectally, so if the vet is too large and the minis too small for a palpation, that wouldn't work either. There are some people out there that are good at trans-abdominal ultrasounds, but they are few and far between since it requires practice and additional equipment, and there isn't very much demand for it.

Although I have had mares ultra sounded at early dates there is really no point whatsoever in doing it before 21 days- if the mare returns in season it is rhetorical that she was ultra sounded as pregnant- unless of course there is a problem.

For normal straightforward pregnancy testing |I would nowadays wait until after the mare has not returned and do it then- whatever method is being used.

I disagree. It is very important to check pregnancy before 18 days to prevent twinning. After that time its very dicy to abort one and not the other. Its also possible to recycle a mare at that point and save a week. In some times that's important, in others it doesn't matter.

Although I have had mares ultra sounded at early dates there is really no point whatsoever in doing it before 21 days- if the mare returns in season it is rhetorical that she was ultra sounded as pregnant- unless of course there is a problem.

For normal straightforward pregnancy testing |I would nowadays wait until after the mare has not returned and do it then- whatever method is being used.

I havent seen her come into heat, she had her foal march 12th, and we lost it, so the stallion has been with her since. But im going to have to wait till the middle of May due to finals for school are next week and the week after.

Latest posts

Back