Champagnes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby

Reaction score
Hi all!

I just got a pretty little champagne filly with beautiful amber eyes. This color is new to me and I've been checking it out on the web, but I still have questions.

1. Is the champagne gene dominant?

2. What registry do you register them in (besides the usual A. R and World?)

3. What crosses produce what or work well.

This is sooo new to me I want to know as much as I can. She's just a baby and no I don't have pictures yet. She'll be coming home in a few weeks.

So, Champagne people...............Share your knowledge and experience with me!

Thanks alot

Lee

[SIZE=12pt]To answer your questions as far as I know from studying.[/SIZE]Yes it is gene dominent.

I think there is an American or international champagne

As far as what to cross on that is your preference on color. I just choose a stallion with correctness and has attributes to compliment the mare and hope for the best.

Try this link if you already do not have it.
Champagne Registry

Last edited:
Thank you both for replying, too often I post with no replies.

So there is only the one registry, the international champagne horse registry?

Does AMHR recognize champagne as a color? If not, what do you register them as?

Once again, thanks for answering my post.

Lee

Hi Lee,

Both AMHA and AMHR recognize champagne as a color and put it on my champagne mini papers. But I make sure to first register them with the ICHR and then send a copy of their ICHR papers to verify it when I register my foals.

There are sometimes people who think they have champagne horses that are not in fact, (many times they are in fact horses that carry cream or silver or both and closely can mimic champagnes)...... but if they have been verified by the ICHR that give them lots more credibility.

Susan O.

Super congrats! :aktion033: Welcome among us "Champagne Mini Folk"! :saludando: Please share pics when you are able.
default_wub.png
:

Thank you all so much for answering my post.

I'm going to send the pictures to the ICHA and I'm sure they will look her over and decide. Then I'll register her in the others.

And I think, from what I've read, she can be DNA'd to exclude the silver etc. Leaving only the option for champagne.

I'll post pics in a few weeks.

Thanks again

Lee

Hi Lee,

Yes they can now test for silver and cream so you could rule out one or both if she has neither. :)

But it is also a very good idea to send her pics to the ICHR. And pics of her parents and pedigree also is very helpful.

Good luck with her!

Susan O.

Back