Chain Action Boots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
After doing some shopping on tack sites I ran into chain action boots, curious I googled to find the reasoning behind these and cannot find a clear answer. So thought I would turn to the forum to see if anyone could answer the question of why one would use these on a horse? and If they really work (for whatever purpose) Thank you and please excuse the newbie question.
default_wacko.png

Supposedly to get more "action" from your horse, to make him step higher. They are not legal on some showgrounds, if that gives you any indication of their use.

They are not legal to use on ANY AMHA show grounds. They are supposed to be for training only. However, I have been told that you have to leave them on the horse 24/7 for them to do any good. They are supposed to enhance the action of a horse.

I'm not a big fan of chain action boots or chains at all, honestly. I just think it can't be comfortable to be slapped in the leg with a chain every step. These are a 'don't' for me.

I just want to clarify, they are legal on ASPC Show Grounds. Just not in the ring.

I believe their was a proposal to ban all chain and weighted boots on show grounds with ASPC? I could be wrong and I don't know if it passed.

Not a fan of them at all. I don't believe in using enhancements like that, especially with the miniatures.

Good Morning All,

Here is the current rule for the MODERN ponies....2007 Rulebook Supplement:

Section VII, Part 13, D-1, page 130 of the rulebook:

NO Artificial attachments to shoe or hoof (lead chunks, weights); toe clips and side clips are permitted, Artifical applicances are PROHIBITED in the ring or warm-up area at the horse show: chains, rubber bands and shackles.

Now they (Modern Ponies) CAN wear their applicances at the stall area. That is legal.

New Rule which passed at 2010 Convention: I wrote this rule because we DIDN'T have anything to address the Classics and Foundations and they WERE legal to wear artifical applicances while on show grounds up till now when we voted in this rule.

For Classics & Foundation Ponies:

Section IX Part 6 page 177..ADD T:

In the Classic and Foundation Division: NO Shackles, Shackles with anything attached, Chains, Rubber Bands, Weighted Boots, Weighted Bell Boots, Bell Boots with Chains or any Mechanical device that enhances a pony's movement IS NOT Permissible at any show including a Fair show that is sanctioned by the ASPC/AMHR Registry while pony is on show grounds of said show.

Pretty plain language for all to follow.

Karen

I will address the original question, since it should now be clear to the original poster that they can't bring them to the show grounds with their Miniature Horse.

There are several "things" you can put on your horses' legs to "enhance" their action. In most cases, the desired result is to get them to pick up their feet and knees higher as a driving horse.

Chain action boots, weighted bell boots, and other similar things are generally put on a horse during it's workouts, such as lunging, driving, bitting up, etc. and often are left on the horse 24/7 while they are in the stall.

The idea is to have the horse build muscle above and beyond what it would normally do. This practice is used in baseball (weighting the end of the bat during practice so you have to swing extra hard, so when you have your "normal" bat during games it seems lighter and much easier to swing), violinists will tape a weight to the end of their bow, and joggers will often wear weights around their ankles or hold in their hands to provide an "extra workout".

So, adding a weight such as metal chain, to the horse during it's workout will make the muscles of the leg have to work harder to get the foot up. When the horse does not have them on (such as for the show), the muscle will anticipate needing to use extra "oomph" to lift the leg, and finding it very easy, will lift the leg higher than it normally would without the weight training.

This anticipation sometimes makes an artifical gait, which people don't generally prefer in the miniatures. Think of expecting a box on the ground to be really heavy... you go to lift it and instead discover the box is empty. You will lift the box a lot faster and higher than you were expecting I'm sure! It's that sort of motion for the legs of the horse.

Many people feel this practice is "cruel" and it is, indeed, unnecessary for breeds such as the Miniature Horse.

Personally, to address your question about chain action boots specifically, I do not like how they fit compared to other options. I find that although they do add variable weight to the horse (you can add and remove links in those commercially available ones) I don't like that the dangling chain parts rub on the coronet band of the horse and do cause some damage over time. Although I am not ethically against using weights and such to improve muscle in a driving horse, I believe that the weights should be comfortable for the horse and not damaging to joints or outer tissues.

In the long run, most people will be better served to select a driving horse that is naturally talented for what you need it to do, as there is no magic cure-all to "make" the horse what it is not.

Andrea

Thank you Andrea for answering the OP's question and giving a clear example of what the chains are used for.

Latest posts

Back