Cattle Panel Hutts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsedude

Reaction score
I need to build a couple of cattle panel hutts and not sure what length of cattle panel I should use for this? The hutt will only be for 1 horse. Want it tall enough for the taller B horses too. Just curious what length works the best for everyone for this situation. Thanks in advance!

Our cattle panels come in 16 foot lengths. I'd say the longer the better.

I have not built my hut yet... I want to but we just had a storm come through and rip up the shelter I built from a car port. I don't know how one of these things would hold up... sigh ...

Perhaps a better question would be... how wide is the "floor" of the shelter-- how far apart do you set the ends on the ground??

WE HAVE BUILT THOSE AND THEY ARE EASY TO BUILD AND WITHSTAND UNBELIEVEABLE WIND.OUR PANELS ARE 16 FEET LONG AND 4 FEET WIDE. YOU CAN MAKE THEM ANY HEIGHT YOU WANT BY BOWING THE WIRE. THE MORE YOU BOW THE HIGHER IT IS AND THE MORE NARROW INSIDE. WE COVERED THEM TWO YEARS AGO WITH TARPS AND THEY ARE JUST NOW BEGINNING TO GET RAGGED. BE SURE YOU TIE DOWN YOUR TARPS EVERYWHERE YOU CAN TO PREVENT FLAPPING. ALSO BUILD THEM FACING SIDEWAYS TO THE WIND IF POSSIBLE. IF WIND GETS INSIDE THEM THEY ARE MORE LIKELY TO NOT WITHSTAND THE WIND. OURS ARE BUILT UP AGAINST A FENCE THAT IS GROWN-UP WITH TREES SO THAT HELPS TO ACT AS A WINDBREAK ALSO. GOOD LUCK!

default_sad.png
What do these huts look like and how do you make them ???? Jody

I have 2 of the panel shelters. One is made of 2 16 ft panels. The other is made of 4 16 ft panels. They are bowed over to be about 6 ft tall in the center. I used the blue tarps at first, but they don't last. I found these tarps that are brown on the outside & green on the inside. They are lasting a lot longer. I have to push snow off the top in the winter or they will fall down. The horses use them always when its raining or snowing. One funny thing is that when I first put one up, I didn't get the snow off so it fell down. One mare was still standing under the panel without the tarp thinking she was out of the snow.
default_wacko.png
: :saludando:

It may take me a try or two, so be patient. I think I still have pictures, just got to remember what I named them.

We made condos. Ours are only used for shade in the pasture. They were damaged in a huge storm, but remember, this storm damaged the barn and siding on the house as well.

hut.jpg

Each section has 2- 16 foot panels, overlapped and wired together in the middle. Then bought the appropriate size tarp, big enough to wrap over the edges and tie down.

Bowed up to make the height 5 foot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back