cat worm question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
Ok, I have a cat that I cant seem to get rid of the tape worms in. He is an indoor/outdoor cat and does eat plenty of rodents and birds. I just dewormed him not to long ago, and seen him pass plenty of worms. He was good for a bit, but not tonight I notice one hanging out of him again. I have several other cats and I have never had one get worms like him.

How often should I deworm him? Anything else I can do?

Have you consulted a vet about his tape worm problem? I know there is a different kind of wormer that you have to use for cats and dogs for tape worm. I got a pregnant cocker from the pound that had tape worm and when I called a vet the receptionist acted like I was horrid for breeding the dog while she had tape worm. I was told that I would have to wait until the puppies were born and take her in for an exam. They gave me a really expensive wormer. I don't remember what it was. But it worked really good. So, check with your vet for a strong enough wormer.

My vet gave me something called profender (emodepside/praziquantel). It is a topspot that gets hooks, roundworms and tapeworms. It really helped, You can use it on cats that you have put frontline on for fleas, this is a separate treatment. It worked well for my cat. It says don't use on heartworm positive cats, we don't treat or test our farm cats for heartworm, but just thought I would throw that in since the package insert says so. Check with your vet, this meds comes from my vet, not over the counter. Easier than giving a pill, worked well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, dogs and cats can get tapeworms from eating rodents, but that happens about 5% of the time. 95% of the time tapeworms are secondary to fleas.

Praziquantel works well and is usually the easiest, but in some forms its not cheap. Its efficacy approaches 99%.

Dr Taylor

Yes, dogs and cats can get tapeworms from eating rodents, but that happens about 5% of the time. 95% of the time tapeworms are secondary to fleas.

Praziquantel works well and is usually the easiest, but in some forms its not cheap. Its efficacy approaches 99%.

Dr Taylor

I have never seen or found any fleas around here for the 4 years I have been here. That said he is given a tick and flea medicine as well. I was hoping to find an alternative to the vet if possible as they must see the cat inorder to give dewormer, and by the time all is said and done its well over $100 just to take him in and have him say, yea thats tape worms.

If he had fleas wouldnt I notice them on the other dogs and cats in the house, or even in our house for that matter?

This is what I used on him last time. HE wont eat it on the food so I actually break it up in a bit of water and force it down.

My link

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen or found any fleas around here for the 4 years I have been here. That said he is given a tick and flea medicine as well. I was hoping to find an alternative to the vet if possible as they must see the cat inorder to give dewormer, and by the time all is said and done its well over $100 just to take him in and have him say, yea thats tape worms.

If he had fleas wouldnt I notice them on the other dogs and cats in the house, or even in our house for that matter?

This is what I used on him last time. HE wont eat it on the food so I actually break it up in a bit of water and force it down.

My link
It is VERY common for owners to have fleas and not know it, its even more common in cats than it is dogs. I can be wrong, but I'd bet you that I'm not. You have fleas in your environment.

Yes, Praziquantel will work, but a trip to the Vet will get an all encompassing assessment including a strategy to get rid of the fleas. Whereas buying drugs OTC increases the likelihood of failure, failure that you have already experienced. But I guess it will be failure that's cheaper than going to the Vet.

BTW, the law requires that Vets see and diagnose an animal prior to prescribing treatment. The $100 Vet is simply following the law.

Dr Taylor

The rodents your cat is catching has fleas... they pretty much all do, so getting tapeworms is almost a guarantee and will be a continual problem. I would set up a regular worming schedule with your vet's advice for that.

Well, it wouldnt be an issue if I stopped getting drop offs and strays but I dont have over a grand to dump into a bunch of cats I didnt ask for (When we moved here we had 2 cats, fixed cats) now there are 10 of them here. I also keep up on them the best I can as I do have kids running around here and dont care to have them catch anything. And mind you all these cats except for one have been seen by my vet as they have all been fixed, dewormed and shots given at that time.

So if I can a money tree growing in the back yard I wouldnt ask for other suggestions.

It has always been my understanding that when you worm, most and I say most wormers only kill adult or pre adult worms. That within thirty days the eggs hatch and you have the battle again unless you worm them within I think 30 days. It kind of has to be an ongoing thing. That is until dronsit came along. I was told that it kills everything. I am sure Dr taylor can correct me.

It has always been my understanding that when you worm, most and I say most wormers only kill adult or pre adult worms. That within thirty days the eggs hatch and you have the battle again unless you worm them within I think 30 days. It kind of has to be an ongoing thing. That is until dronsit came along. I was told that it kills everything. I am sure Dr taylor can correct me.
Your close.

Worms that have a fecal oral life cycle do require multiple wormings. But tapeworms need an intermediate host, so one worming and killing the host stops infection without more wormings.

Drontal gets a lot of things (nothing gets everything), its Droncit plus other stuff.

Dr Taylor

He got a fresh deworming tonight, and a flea and tick coller since he likes to lick the topical off. Will see how this goes.

My Vet recommended Profender.

And it works.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back