Cart size for 36" mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeler

Reaction score
Hi I found a jerald cart for sale that is 48" shafts and 20" wheels . I need to know if it will work on my 36" mini and can you change the wheels to 24" to make a difference . Thanks for any info..

It depends on your mini- how long his stride is, how wide his body is, how long his body is. Sorry! Generally speaking you can switch to a larger wheel but sometimes if it's a closed-wheel cart a larger wheel won't fit in the arch that goes over the wheel and you're stuck with what you got. Do your research before you buy! If you have pictures of both that would help.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
My 48" shafts don't work well with my 36" driving horses, they tend to hit the basket with their hind feet when they extend their trots. That, of course, discourages them from extending. As Leia said, it does depend on the horse.

Measure the horse from the point of the shoulder to the point of the buttock. Then add 8-12". Then measure the cart at level and see where the shafts are in relation to the tugs. You can have the cart shafts go uphill slightly, but too much will screw up the balance of the vehicle.

Myrna

I do know people who drive their 36" horses in 48" shafts, but sometimes I'm not sure how they do it. I have 54" shafts for my B size horses--the bigger shafts are a better width for them, and they certainly need the length. It's not that they're long bodied, they just have good trots and will hit the basket if they get doing a good road trot in 48" shafts. With the 54" shafts I don't need to be careful about trotting them out.

It's not that they're long bodied, they just have good trots and will hit the basket if they get doing a good road trot in 48" shafts.
When we had our lesson this spring with Suzy Stafford (who is in Germany right now competing in an International Pony CDE), she said that the walk was the longest gait. (I was surprised to learn that as well...) So if they didn't hit their legs on the basket at the walk, you were OK with the trot. BUT, more than likely, she was also referring to a proper walk and trot that is originated in the hind end. I don't know if the same could be said for a hollow walk or trot. WIth a proper trot, the legs are up underneath the horse and that is why they won't hit the basket.

Myrna

Myrna, I said a ROAD TROT--a long, free trot down the road--not a collected trot, not an extended trot...think a roadster's 'trot on' without the head checked up and without a hollow back.
default_biggrin.png
Nothing improper about it, just a lot of fun flying down the road!

Yup, and Suzy still said that the walk is the longest gait.
default_yes.gif
I clarified it with her as our big Arab has a big stretchy strong trot and we were concerned about shortening the marathon shafts.

Myrna

Yes, and I'm not disagreeing with Suzy. I was simply responding to what you said about improper gaits!

I choose to go with 54" shafts for the B size Minis and then I do not have to worry about them hitting the basket at any gait.
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back