Cart Design Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drove our cart all over the National Drive with our 34" gelding, and while I don't really want to say how much I weigh, he was pulling close to 400 pounds with no problem.

I would suggest what ever style Fox Lane you like, get the double "C" springs and add optional brakes.

Rhondaalaska,

Hyperbike would be my pref if there are lots of hills around. Extremely well made at its price point. It also provides tremendous comfort for the horse as well as the driver. No brakes needed, maybe a spares bag or a seat cover with pockets for your lunch, or just a vest with big pockets. Wider then any other cart and therefore well suited for trail use. No need for extra springs the whole frame is like a giant shock absorber makes for a nice smooth ride combined with its low weight is unbeatable for just about any terrain. Not a two seater but that is just another perfect excuse to not drive all the neighborhoods kids around the block
default_smile.png

Remember not even de Pacific smart cart is intended for two adults and that is likely the most solid easy entry but weighs more at 120 pounds so you need to get your horse in good physical condition to do the hills.

I agree with Matthijs. I was thinking of getting a Fox Lane Cart (I started a thread on it a few months ago here) and decided to get a Hyperbike instead. I LOVE it! We have a lot of hills on the trails here, and the Bike is perfect. It's nice and light so my horses don't struggle to get up and down the hills anymore, and I don't worry about tipping over if we're driving sideways on a steep hill
default_smile.png
The Fox Lane cart (and Smart Cart, etc) is lovely but wouldn't have worked as well as the Hyperbike for the driving I'm doing. However, it probably would've been just fine for driving at my old barn (nice and flat and level pastures, and stone dust arena).

As I understand it tho a hyperbike is not recommended for inexperienced horses, right? If I had the money I would have one of each. The hyperbike for trail driving and the heavier cart for ring work and youngsters. Since in my case I will have to choose the cart seems a better choice while my green horses learn the job. In a few years I might be able to justify the bike. Also for those of us who are not as flexible/coordinated as we'd like to be, getting into the bike could be a challenge.

As far as getting in an out, I find the Bike easier than my road cart. Granted, I'm only in my 20s- but the lady who sometimes drives Skip with the Bike also has no problem getting in and out. She's a bit older than me and claims to be much less flexible than me. She also says the seat is wonderful for her achy back! Not sure about using the Bike with inexperienced horses, since both of mine have been driving for awhile. I just know that your horse needs to be able to stand still for you to get in and out.

As long as your horse is willing to stand while you get in and out, and it has no tendency to kick or buck you should be okay. How much driving has your horse done?

If your horse is really green you can always start with one of those Chinese imports for $500.= use it for a year and then get yourself a HB.

Matthijs.

I'm not sure if you are addressing rhondaalaska or me but as for my horse(s) I have one very solid and experienced mare (which my husband seems to have taken over lol) and several green horses. One came to me supposedly trained and I have only driven him very lightly a couple of times but he does give me the impression he might buck in harness (begins tossing his head at the trot) He needs more work to be considered trained in my book altho he is started. Then I have a 28" 4 yr old filly that I started this year and then put some real miles on (I think she would benefit from a bike since she is so small any extra weight is an issue) and a 34" gelding that could handle the heavier carts with ease. He was driven for the first time the year and needs some time between the shafts before I would think him solid enough to be that close to the driver (as he'd be in a bike) At present I have an inexpensive EE and it is great for starting them - partly because there is less to loose if it should be damaged. In the next year or so I would like to look at a better cart for showing and for pleasure/recreational driving, by then I expect it will be safe to move them all up to the better vehicle.

icky icky icky... on the junky imports!!!

EDIT: Deleted my rant about the last junky import I bought, 1.5 years ago, hee hee!

I could have accepted most of the failure of quality, but when I found there was CELLOPHANE TAPE lining the inside surface of the wheels, I nearly barfed
default_smile.png

How much money does a strip of rubber cost?

Get the message to the manufacturers and product sellers and don't buy junk.

Wilma (still cranky about wasting my money on a piece of junk 1.5 years ago
default_smile.png
)

Last edited by a moderator:
Holey smokes, celophane? While the EE I have is not the quality I would like to own it is no where near that bad. Maybe its not an import? Don't know where it was made but it has stood up to some pretty rigorous usage to date and I have had it for 3 years or more now. I have other carts, one is an older show cart that needs refurbishing to be a 'show cart' but works well for recreational driving, I just prefer the EE for starting horses. Like I said, less invested if they should be damaged by a green horse in some way.

As long as your horse is willing to stand while you get in and out, and it has no tendency to kick or buck you should be okay. How much driving has your horse done?
I don't think kicking or bucking has anything to do with it. Both my high-spirited boys do it regularly no matter what cart they're in, and a kicking strap does the job nicely whether it's the 'Bike or the EE or the show cart!
default_laugh.png
When they try in the Hyperbike I just reach out and thump them on the rear as well as the more traditional growling and pulling their heads up.
default_deadhorse2.gif

What your horse does need to have is a solid "whoa." Getting in and out of the Hyperbike is not difficult but there is definitely a period of time where you're at risk as you step in front of the wheel and stirrup to put your leg over and if the horse should move off unexpectedly the way green horses so often do it would be very unpleasant. The other reason I prefer to start those wiggly babies in a more traditional cart is frankly because once they drive a Hyperbike, they never want to go back. No, seriously!
default_wink.png
This isn't me advertising. I found with Kody when I moved him to a Freedom Collar, sliding backband and Hyperbike he started complaining when I put him back in more traditional stuff and it occurred to me that if I'd started him in those, Mr. Fairness and Why-Mama would have thought it hugely unfair to suddenly put him in restrictive, uncomfortable equipment. I want them to know what traditional equipment like a straight breastcollar, blinkers and heavier cart feel like and accept it as the norm. Then later when I move them to the high performance stuff they're excited about it but don't complain about the regular equipment. I did that with Turbo and was very glad for it. I used the Hyperbike as a mobile set of training shafts but when it came time to get in, I hitched him to the show cart and there he stayed until he was mature enough to handle the Hyperbike.

Generally being close to the driver is actually reassuring for the youngsters, it comforts them rather than making them nervous. They like that you can pet them on the butt or press your leg on their sides!

Leia

Hmmm, interesting thoughts Leia. I like the little extra weight the traditional carts have when starting horses and I suspect it is a bonus when one is trying to get the horse fit but then switching to the lighter 'bike' or even a featherlight cart would be very freeing to the horse thus improving performance I would expect. I am just surmising of course since I have no lighter weight cart to switch too. I really like the idea of the bike tho, has anyone shown in one? I am not sure they would be well received in standard driving classes where 'turn out' is king and even wearing a helmet might loose you marks against someone wearing a nice hat (that of course won't keep me from wearing the helmet because my ability to tie my own shoes trumps winning a class). The best part of this time of year is that I can step back and start to think about next season and what I should/would like to change.
default_yes.gif

Now on that note I'd like to offer an apology to the OP for hijacking her thread.

I know there is a lady who has used hers for a 2-phase (think it was here in Massachusetts), where people were pretty dressed up. I'm not sure how well-received it was, or if she lost points for having a very non-traditional cart, though. I've only done very informal/casual shows with mine, but I am hoping I can use it for some of the more serious shows next summer.

Thank you! Sugar has only been in cart since June this year but she is amazing

Last edited by a moderator:
I adore the HyperBike. I am a total gimpy, with serious back and leg problems, but I have no problem getting in and out and find riding in it the most comfortable thing next to lying in my bed.

However, I do believe that, at least for most people, the HyperBike is less suitable for a green horse. The solid whoa is one issue (although any horse should have one before being hitched), but I'd prefer to see a few miles on the horse to know how it reacts to different situations. I've seen one very green horse who had been fine in the EE come unglued in the HyperBike. Not the HB's fault in any way, but more time in the EE would likely have revealed her issues with less trauma to the driver.

The only other reason I would not choose a HyperBike is if you'll want to carry a passenger.

For solo trail driving with a solid driving horse, the HyperBike is absolutely unbeatable. I've driven for hours in it without getting the least bit stiff. My horse absolutely adores it. When hauling to trails, the HB breaks down small enough to fit in a small car and then sets up in a flash.

On a limited budget, I think I'd look for a used Frontier or CTM easy entry and put the real money toward the HyperBike. On a midsized budget, I'd consider the HyperBike and a Foxlane. Since I have tall minis, if money were not an issue, I'd likely choose the HyperBike and a Smart Cart.

Latest posts

Back