Cart Design Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDesign

Reaction score
Hello,

I am purchasing my first cart and I have narrowed it down to two. Does anyone know which style of cart would be more comfortable for the horse?

Shafts that run underneath the seat like this:

LB8316thm.jpg

Or shafts that are attached easy entry style like this:

ee-cde-w-wood.jpg

I will basically be driving for pleasure with the hopes of eventually showing in some local open shows and possibly some CDEs.

Thank you for your help!

Hmm. Usually the shaft design where it attaches to the cart has a lot less to do with the horse's comfort than the overall balance and weight but I will say that when the shafts run beneath the seat like that they're often on top of the springs, smoothing the jolts to the shafts as well as the driver. On the other hand, carts designed like that are often heavy and cumbersome and have an awful lot of weight forward of the axle. They're also very difficult to get in and out of quickly and the shafts tend to ride only barely level or slightly downhill on most smaller horses whereas shafts that attach to the basket seem to connect lower and thus are easier to position slightly uphill for better ride and balance.

Just some thoughts!

Leia

I own the top step in cart. Mine is an Amish cart made by Pequea. It is light 90 lbs and very well balanced. Drives comfortably on dirt roads. Does not drive well in the arena is bouncy. Awesome cart but my gripe is the foot cage. The cart is fit for very short adults or children?

I removed the back rest so I could lean back a bit so Im not so cramped. Trying to sit on the folded down back rest is just nuts not to mention awful!

In the future I may go for the easy entry one in the second picture you have. That looks roomy. The craftsmanship on these carts are wonderful.

On my cart you cannot adjust the seat. In order to move the seat back would require me to drill new holes in the shafts. what worries me is I feel this would weaken the shafts??

Im 5'3 with a short torso and long legs. If that helps :) Good luck it really is "your choice"...

Thank you for your responses. Both answers have been extremely helpful. I thought I had read somewhere that the shafts running over the springs was less jarring for the horse, so that is why I was interested in that style. However, I am 5'8 so having enough leg room is very important to me plus I don't want to feel trapped. I think I know which way I want to go now. Thanks!

I have the 2nd cart and bought it this last year from Pam of Silver Penney. She was and is so great to deal with. We still have leg room issues in that cart. I would talk w/ Pam and bring this up. There may be some things they can do to help. My husband has made a few changes and it's amazing what an inch here and there makes on leg room. We have several different carts, including the Mini Crown. This cart is one of our favorites as it is so light and well balanced for our horses on some big hills. The Mini Crown is very noticable in the weight difference on our 34" Minis when pulling up big hills. We have the 26" wooden wheels and LOVE it. We recently bought 26" wire wheels and the ride is "wonderful" on the bouncy, bumpy roads. The wire wheels are really stout...no flimsy. So we use both wheels. My husband painted the wire wheels black and although I was unsure of this, they look pretty neat against the wood. Nice carts....but be sure to ask about the leg room. They can block seats up a little higher. I was using a wedge and it helped as well, until we made some adjustments. Great cart!!

Thanks for your help Becky. I will certainly talk to Pam. I like the looks of the Mini Crowns too, but my I don't think I'll be able to afford one anytime soon. :-(

The style here does not determine how much legroom you have, you would need measurements to know wich one is bigger. The top one has the shafts mounted above the springs so yes more comfy for your horse, the bottom one the floor and shafts are directly sitting on the axle so more jarring for the horse.

I have an amish cart in the top style and I am 5,10" and find it absolutely big enough and well balanced, it is also very easy to move the axle if needed.

Mine does not have a backrest, just a wooden rim about 4" around the sides and back, I prefer that as it allows me to shift my position for balance.

I would go for the top one if given the choice
default_smile.png

These carts are the best on roads but do fairly well even on trails and in fields, not so well in deep or loose footing with the narrow wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only more jarring if you don't have it balanced right. Shafts that are properly floating, especially when used with a sliding backband, will not jar the horse no matter what the cart's suspension is.

Leia

I have the bottom cart also. I am 5'8" and there is not enough leg room. We are going to move the floor boards to underneath with spacers to gain about three inches. Should be an easy fix and it shouldn't add to much extra weight.

Lloydyne, we did just that with our cart. We switched the floorboards to underneath the square tubing frame. It was my husband's idea and I didn't think it would help that much. I was shocked how much it did. The other thing we did was flip the axle to the top of floor boards (if that makes sense)...to lower the cart some. We have the 26" wheels and it seemed so tall and top heavy to me. Especially when I was sitting on a wedge to help for height. We just did both of these things recently and was amazed at these little changes. I still have not used a wedge, but if I did need to for additional leg room, I don't think I'd feel so top heavy.

We just bought a Fox Lane cart that we are very happy with. It has several features that meet our needs and much of what has been mentioned in this discussion. It has metal spoke wheels with solid rubber tires, good looking and sturdy, acceptable for any show, oncluding ADS and CDE's. The shafts adjust for the height of your horse by simply loosening 4 bolts and a simple movement of the shafts. We've easily adjusted it for our 34" and 38" horses in minutes. The shafts also telescope to adjust the length, about 8" adjustment. This is a one bolt adjustment per shaft. The shafts have a slight bend at the point they sit in the tugs, and when you loosen the bolt to adjust the length, you can also twist this bend in or out which adjusts the width of the shafts. This makes for a virtually infinite adjustment. the seat is also adjustable front and back, so you can balance the cart to have very little weight on your horse. It has "C" springs suspension, andhas two sets of springs, one under the seat and the other between the axle and frame making it one of the most comfortable carts we've ever driven. Our cart came with shiny vinyl fenders and dash, black with white pin stripes and is very suitable for show, but at the same time is sturdy enough for any driving in an arena or trail. Bob Franks was great to work with and I'd recommend this cart to anyone. We bought ours at the National Drive and met them there. We went to the Drive with intentions to research carts and talk to owners of some of the different brands. We looked a Hyperbike and a Bellcrown and bought the Fox Lane on the spot. Prices are great and quality is as good as anything I've seen.

Thank you for the excellent feedback on the Fox Lane cart, Horsenarounnd. That is one I haven't gotten to see yet! Do you have any pictures? What does it weigh compared to the Hyperbike or Bellcrown?

Leia

This is my Fox Lane cart.

IMG444.jpg

and one with a mini

DSC_0898.jpg

I don't have the second spring on yet or the brake. We have ordered them though.

Well, now I am confused as ever. I think I am going to change directions and just buy a metal easy entry to tool around in and save up for a nicer cart when I know which direction I want to go. Wow, those Fox Lane carts are handsome! I am also interested in the weight of those. Anyone know the starting price?

The starting price is $1450 and the weight is 128 lbs for the one that I got. I have the bells and whistles with wood.

Hmm. Too heavy for my guys, I'm afraid. The Bellcrown is really too heavy for many things at 119 pounds.

Leia

I have a 34" gelding that would do fine with that cart I think. He is a powerful guy and I don't think that weight would be a problem for him at all.

Latest posts

Back