Cart color help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

Reaction score
I stopped in a few days ago to check out the driving forum. I have I enjoyed the discussions. The two discussions on cart color and turnouts have given me much to learn and think about. I've been driving at home for many years. I just added a small trailer to our equipment again and I'm considering venturing out to some small driving shows, or events. I'm shopping for a nice cart. I would like one that would look good with two of my small equine. One a medicine hat black and white B size mini ( he went over size at 39") and the other is a 43" mahogany bay grade Shetland. Am I stuck with a black cart or could I go with a stained or pin striping or different wheel color? I never thought about the bold pinto being a less formal type of driving, but makes good sense, it would still be nice to find a cart that would look good on both of my boys if it's do-able. I no longer have a website, so I don't think I can add pictures but I do have a brief video clip of the two boys taken 10 days ago. It will give you some idea of the two even if they are very woolie and carrying a lot of winter dirt, so please look past all that. The youtube link is http://www.youtube.c...u/6/7ZmcNy0Oa4E

Christie, I definitely would not go with a black painted cart with that pinto. He is too loud!
default_biggrin.png
(He looks to be put together nice, too.) But I do think you are on the right track with a stained vehicle. I might consider an Ebony stain actually, but the only way to tell for sure is to get a piece of hickory (what shafts and wheels are supposed to be made from) and hold up a few samples next to your horses. I would go with a dark stain for sure. If there is one thing I really don't like, it's "natural" finish for dark horses. The cart sticks out like a sore thumb. You could go with a dark walnut, too, but I wouldn't like a golden oak with a black pinto. Golden oak might work for a sorrel pinto, but not a black. It would be like putting a tuxedo in a wood-grained station wagon!
default_laugh.png
(He's still an "informal" horse, just not as informal as other pintos.) For the rest of the cart, maybe cool tan seats (that fabric I used on my Phaeton Cart in the first photos would probably work good for your horses) and a sandstone stripe to match.

I think you might be able to use the same cart with a 39" and a 43". Just make sure that the shafts go uphill on the 43" and not downhill on the 39". You will also want to check their lengths for similarity. You don't want the cart shafts too long, but you also don't want either horse to hit their heels on the box.

What events/shows are you thinking of?

Myrna

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! Your input is so very much appreciated!!!! At this moment the only driving shows I know of on a small and very local scale is the county fairs. Gotta start somewhere.
default_smile.png
I was hoping to eventually take the pinto to some localish AMHR shows but since the boy out grew his papers that option went out the window. I love the boy, so it's not a big deal. He isn't trained yet and I'm going to wait to take his training seriously until he is gelded. He's a coming 3 year old. He has a retained testicle that we were hoping would drop but it's looking less and less likely. So once the winter lessens he will be going to the equine clinic for surgery. He would have gone already but my new trailer was long in being complete and then delays with paperwork for title and registration brought it into winter weather. I truly believe he (Gunnie) will take to driving, he is very sensible and very willing to please. I'm looking forward to getting the boy hitched( edited to add, he's a young boy and we'll give him all the time for training and maturing he needs, but I do look forward to the day he is a driving pony, I have big hopes for my informal, be him less informal boy!
default_smile.png
I am so glad I visited in time for these threads. They have been a HUGE help to me! ) . The Shetland ( Hudson) was born on our farm and has been driving for about 4 years. He loves to drive! It's not so much about purchasing 2 carts but the storage and up keep of more carts. I'm the only driver and I can only use one cart at a time, and I would only take one pony out and about at a time. Right now I'm cartless for the 2 ponies, so I'm also looking for a training cart too. Hudson was my last pony and sold 2 years ago, then I sold all my pony equipment. Hudson came home in Oct. Now I wish I had kept my equipment!!!!!!! I had a very nice cart, that fit him so very well. Hudson since he is driving already is the priority to get back in the cart but I'm trying to choose wisely and without limiting myself too much. I have a couple of A size minis and drive them at home too. Because of my health I downsized in everyway my equine but found I wanted to drive a horse bigger than the A's, that's how the B size entered the farm and now I have Hudson home too. I'm glad to have him home and he seems to be happy to be here too!
default_smile.png
I would love to be part of a driving club but I'm not aware of any near me. I know there are some central and east Pa but I live on he western border of Pa, south of Pittsburgh. If we can get together a nice turn out and some experience I'm hoping to spread our wings and travel a bit further. Right now we're in the beginning stages of testing our wings.
default_smile.png
Thank you again!!!! I love your blue cart!!! If I had that cart I'd buy a horse to go with it! Blue is my favorite color! I was Blue Rose Stables and have Blue Rose English Setters... Blue and Roses, my favorites!!!! Happy driving!!!!

Christie

Christie, just a thought about your "over" AMHR horse. Did you measure him or was he measured by a steward? It can make a big difference. You just might want to check it out.

I have one that I cannot measure 34" for the life of me but his permanent papers read 34" so I took him to a couple of shows. At one they said 34 1/2 (which is less than I got) and at an Area show and at Nationals they got him at 34" even. For some reason when I tried to measure him myself he must have been tense as I watched what happened when they measured him at Nationals. He's an old timer that was shown AMHA in his younger years and when my daughter squared him up, he took a big breath and relaxed and I could see his back drop.

Belle Vernon, my inlaws live right over by you in Daisytown
default_smile.png

There are some mini shows within 2 hours of here, and also a horse and pony club who has some mini classes. They have mini showmanship, halter, youth driving, open driving, obstacle, hunter.

I'm going to be a newbie to the driving scene this year, ive only shown riding horses and my minis in hand, so I hope to see you out and about.

Christie, just a thought about your "over" AMHR horse. Did you measure him or was he measured by a steward? It can make a big difference. You just might want to check it out.

Hi Sandee, Thanks for the post. I have measured him myself. I don't see how he could measure under 38. I will see if I can get him measured at a show.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Christie

Belle Vernon, my inlaws live right over by you in Daisytown
default_smile.png

Well hi neighbor! Nice to meet you! I hope I can see you out and driving too. Keep me posted about some shows with driving that your attending and even if we aren't ready to come out and drive I may be able to come and watch!
default_smile.png

Christie

WIth ponies that size, I highly recommend looking into an ADS club and events. Your ponies would be perfect for it! Here is the page that lists the events and clubs in your area. http://www.americandrivingsociety.org/regn_midatlantic.asp I am not familiar with the layout of PA, but sometimes you have to drive a little bit to meet up with the right people. We belong to two clubs, one about an hour away in meetings and activities, and the other about 3-4 hours away. Each has different things to offer but both are full of fun, helpful, friendly people and that is typical of ADS clubs no matter what you drive.

Myrna

Latest posts

Back