Can we talk about mattresses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayne

Reaction score
Our king size mattress is about 15 years old and I am finding myself feeling kind of creaky when I get up in the morning. Now I know that is due to the fact that Iam fifteen years older too! But surely a new mattress would be nice? So I start looking at options on line and it truly is overwhelming.

Do any of you fine people have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Jayne

(Don't forget to check out my blog: www.redponyranch.blogspot.com)

We love our Simmons Beautyrest.

Kim

Our king size mattress is about 15 years old and I am finding myself feeling kind of creaky when I get up in the morning. Now I know that is due to the fact that Iam fifteen years older too! But surely a new mattress would be nice? So I start looking at options on line and it truly is overwhelming.
At the risk of bursting your bubble, "feeling kind of creaky when I get up in the morning" comes with age. I speak from may years of feeling creaky when I get up in the morning.

I agree with Kim, Simmons Beautyrest. I have been a firm believer in the Beautyrest for many years. I found myself in the same situatioin last year and replaced my old Beautyrest mattress with a new firm Beautyrest. I have been very happy with it.

My biggest problem with mattresses these days is that they tend to be much thicker than they used to be. By the time you put the two together you need a ladder to get into bed. When I got my set I opted for the thinner boxspring to make the bed lower. If I were to do it again I would have gotten the thicker one. My problem is that when you put a skirt on the boxspring it is much too long. The next time I move the mattress I will remove the skirt since I prefer full bedspreads over comforters.

Neil you just gave me my best laugh of the day and the visual of hooking up a ladder. That's EXACTLY what I feel like I go through everyday. I'm just thankful I haven't fallen out of it.
default_smile.png
This morning my husband is 6ft. and actually cracked a joke about how tall it is.

---------------------------

I've had several riding accidents that messed up my back over the years. While pregnant in 2003 we decided to invest in a really good mattress that we could afford. We picked the Beautyrest. My back pain went away immediately. All along the problem was my mattress. Wish I had figured that out years before. Not saying it's going to cure others pains, but it did help mine and I'm thankful.

Kim

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here... I grew up with a super single baffled waterbed and then moved to a free flow double sized waterbed. My husband HATED my bed because I weigh under 100 pounds and he weighs almost 200. When he laid down, he hit the board and I was on top of the hill. When I flipped over, I would roll down the hill onto him.
default_smile.png
He loves a firm, hard mattress and I prefer a snuggle-into-it soft mattress. We went to one of those Sleep Number stores and BINGO! we found something we both love. We bought a queen size mattress and kept our own box springs. Don't ask me what our Sleep Numbers are because we refused to spend $200.00 on the little thing that showed us! I *love* my Sleep Number mattress because I can make it firmer when I need the support and softer when I don't feel good and need more comfort. My husband keeps his the same most of the time, but it did come in handy after his disc replacement surgery... he needed it real firm right after, and now likes it a tad softer. I highly recommend the sleep number.
default_smile.png

I have a Serta Perfect Sleeper that I really like but when I need a new one I think I'll try the Tempur-Pedic mattress with the memory foam but I would image a king size bed will be super expensive.
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My parents recently bought one of the memory foam matresses, I don't know the brand name, but they love it....and it was very expensive. They put it on top of their old box springs (which were only about 5 years old) because they have an adjustable bed, I want to say a select comfort was their original bed. So they still have the adjustableness for my dad...he can't breathe laying totally flat. I want to say for the matress alone it was $2000, it is king size, but split in half so they can each adjust their side the way they want. From everyone I hear, the memory foams are wonderful.

Thank you everyone for your input. We will be shopping this weekend and will look at the ones you mentioned!

Jayne

And, yes, Neil, I realize the creakiness is a function of age for sure! I would just rather put these creaky bones on a mattress made for adults instead of the cheap just-out-of-college mattress I bought 15 years ago!

[SIZE=12pt]Hope you find the mattress of your dreams
default_laugh.png
[/SIZE]

We just bought a mattress in June through Denver Mattress Company. We got the King size Monarch supreme it was only 879.00 and incredible!! I've had two Beauty Rests over the years and really don't care for them. Mine have sagged in the middle and become very uncomfortable. I would get up in the morning and feel like someone had been beating me all night. Lots of pressure point pain. I have a bad lower back from wearing my duty belt so was living on Aleve everyday. Not so much since we got the Monarch
default_wub.png

They have a website too.

Joy

We bought a Memory Foam, king size mattress about 4 years ago and have been very happy with it. It sits on top of our old box springs...... They come in various thicknesses, which means the price varies too. We bought ours through Overstock.com for $500.

We have one of the sleep number beds too, just a different brand name. We love it. Kathy

I forgot about this thread!! Thanks, Joy, for reminding me to give an update!

Well, I went with my notes from here to Sleep Country USA which is about 10 miles away from us. It's a west coast chain, I guess. Well, did I get sticker shock!! There was one set for $1000 but it wasn't any better than what I already had. The second to the lowest priced one was $1699!! I just about fainted! And I have a perfectly good box spring, but they didn't want to sell just a mattress. They had sets in there in the $6000 range!! And I'm just talking box spring and mattress! Not even a room full of furniture for that price!
default_smile.png

So, I'm sitting down talking with the salesperson who also happened to be the manager. It was a slow day and we were the only ones in there. So I was frank about the sticker shock I was experiencing and he said, "sure, you could be like 'some people' and go over to Linens 'n' Things and get a memory foam topper, but I guarantee they'll be back in a year or so!" DING DING DING!! I hadn't even THOUGHT of that being a possibility!! So I was nice, but fairly quickly wrapped up the conversation and said I'd be back with my husband on the weekend.

Then I left the store and went over to Linen 'n' Things and bought a memory foam topper!! I would have never thought of that if that dope wouldn't have told me that was an option! I didn't even know they sold such things! So I dropped $200 for a 4 inch thick (it was on sale) topper, in its own case and in a thing like a bottom sheet so it went right on over the mattress. Then I made the bed like normal. I was praying I didn't make a bad decision, but the first time I laid on that thing it was like heaven!! All I told the hubby was that I didn't buy a mattress but didn't tell him about the topper. And he didn't notice the bed was higher (not too observant!) but as soon as he laid down he sure noticed!! We both really like it and I can honestly say my hips have not been creaky at all since we've had it.

Sure, it will not last as long as a new mattress set, but it sure made a big difference in my quality of sleep right away without needing to take out a 2nd mortgage! I guess the new mattress is just something we'll have to save up for...yeah, right after the new carpet, the new front porch, etc!!

Thanks for asking!

Jayne

Oh good gracious, I'm so glad you updated us. I had tears in my eyes from the laughter and couldn't hold back a couple of snorts!!
default_new_rofl.gif
I have never laughed like that while reading a post. Please keep up the good work.

We bought a Sleep Number a couple of years ago and while it's been a good mattress - great for 2 people with different sleep needs - the Tempurpedic is my dream bed LOL. My daughter has one, and it's helped her back problems tremendously. My older daughter tried one though and returned it after a week or so because they sleep "hot" and she didn't like that.

The mattress toppers are a quick fix but even they can make a difference. If you have an old mattress that's too soft, you can try a sheet of plywood between mattress and springs...

Jan

My older daughter tried one though and returned it after a week or so because they sleep "hot" and she didn't like that.
I about DIED on memory foam. Sure it was comfy but I was constantly at my boiling point.
default_torch.gif
Even my husband was hot all the time. Not to mention the fumes from it's chemical makeup. Just can't be good for you. Got rid of that after about a month.

I then did a bunch of research and wound up with PURE latex. Cool and so comfortable and will never pit or have flatened out spots like a regular mattress. It also had an 8 or 9 month "try out" period. This is not a "layered latex" like you will get in a bedding store with foam and a bunch of other man made stuff. I am speaking ONE SOLID piece of pure latex. Finally we are comfortable.

Regular mattresses are just not made the same anymore. You can't even turn most of them over. My last regular Serta $3,000 perfect sleeper lasted about 3 years. A huge rip off. And just try to do something with the warranty. What a joke.
default_rolleyes.gif

I know I am 'late' to this thread; just got around to reading every post...

I sleep on a kingsized, solid latex foam mattress, made by ENGLANDER. It is still in VERY good condition(no kids ever slept in it; no 'stains', if you know what I mean!) It was my mother's, and it is 'about' 35 (or maybe more!) years old! I inherited the entire kingsized bed from her after she died in 1979; she was the only one who'd ever slept on it, as she and my father had slept in separate bedrooms for years before they divorced after she found out she was terminally ill (long story, but something she should have instituted years earlier!) I

Yes, it has 'sunk' just a LITTLE bit on each side (when you get over in the center, you can 'feel' that it is a bit higher!!) That said, it is still quite firm and comfortable! I DON'T get up w/ a backache (and because I am the sole caretaker of everything on this place, I do a LOT of HARD physical work, almost daily--and I still get up with my back feeling fine!) AND, this mattress CAN be turned over! Even though it's only about 6" deep, it is VERY dense, and therefore, heavy,and it takes ALL I can do to turn it, but it IS 'doable'. This bed also ISN'T so high(Neil was so right about that; modern beds do seem to need ladders!
default_smile.png

I imagine those reading are aghast at this; all I can say is...I wouldn't still be sleeping on that mattress if it weren't comfortable and I was having ANY kind of 'bad effects' from doing so! It was a top of the line mattress when my mom(who was an interior designer) got it, and this is the proof, IMO!! And I will admit that I am appreciative of how well it has lasted, as I have PLENTY of other things that 'stand in line' needing to be done, and they ALL cost more nowadays!!

Jayne, sounds like you made a good choice for now!

Margo

Carol, where did you find pure latex?
Inquiring minds want to know
default_smile.png
I also have a memory foam top right now for about a year and I have not been getting a good night sleep on it after the top got soft and broke in about 6 months ago. My sides hurt when laying in bed.

I can't say enough about these people. They were always there to answer questions for me and for the two other couple (friends) that have this mattress. I have the 8 inch with the 2 extra inches of Talalay latex.

One thing we did do a bit differently and it made the bed EXTRA comfy. Instead of using your box spring.........if your mattress is still in fairly good shape, use that for your base. My box spring was like a rock..........

I remember when we first got the mattress we honestly did not want to get out of bed in the AM.

My husband has had back surgery and he has never been this comfortable. We also both have hip problems and can't lay on one side for too long. NOT ANY MORE! But just read this web page and believe me everything they are saying is true. (and I am pretty sketical about this kind of stuff.....)

http://www.habitatfutons.com/latex_mattress.html

sleep on a king sized, solid latex foam mattress, made by ENGLANDER. It is still in VERY good condition(no kids ever slept in it; no 'stains', if you know what I mean!) It was my mother's, and it is 'about' 35 (or maybe more!) years old! I inherited the entire king sized bed from her after she died in 1979; she was the only one who'd ever slept on it, as she and my father had slept in separate bedrooms for years before they divorced after she found out she was terminally ill (long story, but something she should have instituted years earlier!) I
Yep, that is exactly what the mattress companies do not want you to know! If people knew how long these mattresses lasted how could they stay in business?
default_poke.gif

Margo, that came out in the research I did. How these pure latex mattresses lasted for 40 or 50 years compared to the mattresses now. (again......huge ripoff) They quit making them years ago because they simply lasted too long and you know what that means.........less money in mattress industries pockets!
default_shutup.gif
default_no.gif
default_nono.gif

Also remember there is a huge difference between the NATURAL and SYNTHETICS that you will get in most layered mattresses in a mattress store because of it's expense.

Latest posts

Back