Can someone point me where to get more driving info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheryl

Reaction score
Hi, I used to care lease a driving mini and first discovered this forum during that time. He has since gone on to competing in 4H with some children who are really benefiting from his experience and diminutive size.

I in the meantime returned to horseback riding primarily for the last few years. I recently rescued a young pony who I plan to train to drive. I am working with someone who has experience training driving horses, but isn't deeply involved in the mini or pony community. I would really love to get info on cart selection, harness selection, and other pony specific questions. The pony forum here is not very active - just wondering if there is somewhere else out there that I can post all these types of questions???

My pony is supposed to be about 2, was halter trained when I got him but we now have him doing alot more - but it has only been a week! He is showing himself to have a nice solid mind, but of course is young. He measures 11.2-11.3H range, not sure if he will stay under 12H or not. He was said to be a Shetland/Hackney cross, but it is hard to say. He is fairly fine-med boned, but does not have a dishy face at all. His head is nicely proportioned, but is more roman nosed in shape. I think he is a very dark bay handsome, but I don't really know for sure his breeding. He has a naturally upright headset and high action compared to the flat kneed movers I am used to, but he certainly does not have the really high step the Hackneys are known for.

Anyway, if anybody has somewhere to point me to discuss carts, harness, guessing the pony breed...lol... I would really appreciate it!

Hi, I used to care lease a driving mini and first discovered this forum during that time. He has since gone on to competing in 4H with some children who are really benefiting from his experience and diminutive size.

I in the meantime returned to horseback riding primarily for the last few years. I recently rescued a young pony who I plan to train to drive. I am working with someone who has experience training driving horses, but isn't deeply involved in the mini or pony community. I would really love to get info on cart selection, harness selection, and other pony specific questions. The pony forum here is not very active - just wondering if there is somewhere else out there that I can post all these types of questions???

My pony is supposed to be about 2, was halter trained when I got him but we now have him doing alot more - but it has only been a week! He is showing himself to have a nice solid mind, but of course is young. He measures 11.2-11.3H range, not sure if he will stay under 12H or not. He was said to be a Shetland/Hackney cross, but it is hard to say. He is fairly fine-med boned, but does not have a dishy face at all. His head is nicely proportioned, but is more roman nosed in shape. I think he is a very dark bay handsome, but I don't really know for sure his breeding. He has a naturally upright headset and high action compared to the flat kneed movers I am used to, but he certainly does not have the really high step the Hackneys are known for.

Anyway, if anybody has somewhere to point me to discuss carts, harness, guessing the pony breed...lol... I would really appreciate it!
There are other driving forums out there - just google them and you can easily find them but driving is driving no matter the size of the horse so we can help you out with most issues here anyway. As to guessing the pony breed it does sound like he could easily be a Shetland/Hackney cross or maybe even just Shetland but he is for sure a GRADE PONY!
default_biggrin.png
If he isn't registered it really doesn't matter what breed he is does it? You can still drive him in carriage shows whether he is registered or not. Most of the carriage houses that make Miniature carts also make carts suitable for small ponies such as yours and the same goes for tack shops and harnesses.

You said "He was said to be a Shetland/Hackney cross". If you can find more info on his background, you might be able to register him in NSPR (National Show Pony) --- I think that's it. Which is the taller or over Shetland measured horses and I believe they also accept crosses as well as Hackneys. Just a thought.

I too recommend the Shetland pony forum already mentioned.

Back