Can I see your Grullo and Grulla horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
I have a little gal that I am trying to figure out her color. Most think she is grulla. Here are Jewel's pictures.

jewelhead.jpg

jewelside.jpg

jewelstripe.jpg

I do think your mare is a grulla
default_yes.gif
:

This is my grey-grullo stallion, Erica's Gone and DunIT. He has only had limited showing but is AMHR National Top 10 in halter out of a HUGE class, AMHA Honor Roll in Halter and many reserves and grands.

DunIT is a grandson of both BTU and Yellow Diamond Little Feather, and a great grandson of Egyptian King. I'm pretty crazy about him... And, I also own his 2007 maternal brother (a Buckeroo grandson, he's by Big City -- soooo excited!).

DunIT--%20newborn%20--%201.jpg

Ball%20--%20071107%20--%20088.jpg

DunIT%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20170.jpg

DUNIT%20--%2006232006%20138.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. He is really pretty!! So you say grey so he will grey completely out? Dorsal too? I love his bab picture on your page where he is clipped around his nose but not his forhead. He reminds me of a little seahorse there. tee hee. Very cute! Thanks for posting his pictures!! Come on everyone. I can't wait to see more!!

This one's a friend's mare, Fancy. The friend is a member of the forum, but is busy on vacation right now, so i'll post these....

She's a grulla and looks a lot like your mare.

Fancyrandom013.jpg

fancy-dressup002.jpg

fancy-dressup001.jpg

Fancy-walk010.jpg

Fancy-walk004.jpg

Here's a picture of my 2006 grulla filly. Sorry all I have are winter woolies. She was born a creme color-looked almost palomino. This year when I shave her she was a bit darker than these winter pictures. She'll get a little bit darker still but not much.

rosemary2.jpg

rosemary5.jpg

rosemary4.jpg

rosemary3.jpg

Sire: Black Pinto (all black with white stockings)

Viking-head.jpg

Dam: Blonde Dun (very very light red dun)

Rowena-1.jpg

Rowena-head2.jpg

Yes, DunIT will eventually turn completely "white". He does have mottled skin though (appy characteristics). Colorwise, he has a lot going on with grey, dun and appy. His foals will have a 50% chance of greying and DunIT may be homozygous for dun factor as both his parents are dun.

Here are some of mine that are other colors of dun
default_smile.png
I even think DunIT's baby bro may be as well... Light dorsal but dam throws duns, so... Dun, cream dilute and silver dilute are the color "things" that I really like
default_smile.png

Harmony Hill’s Harvest Gold

Palomino Dun or Light Silver Bay Dun

Goldie%20--%2007012006%20--%20034.jpg

Tibb’s Sundowner (HOF)

Silver Bay Dun (can't see his dorsal here, but it's there... his dam is dun as well)

SUNNY%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20109.jpg

Erica’s Big City Blue By U

Greying Black -- possibly dun? If not knowing his dam has produced dun, I'd say it was only counter shading.

Blue%206.jpg

Double A Ranch's Cinco-Sundance

SUNDANCE%20--%20070107%20GELDINGS.jpg

Oh they are all so pretty!! Fancy does look quite a bit like my Jewel. I wish I had pictures of Jewel as a baby. Oh well, what ever color she is I love it!! Anymore grulla/grullo's?

Ok, for some reason I only have photos of mine from the rear....lol. But here they are

JFF Gifted Child aka Molly

molly.jpg

And Huffs Sierra Mist

sierracolor.jpg

Jill---

LOVE Dunit! He's a gorgeous boy! Are you sure he's appy though?? A LOT of greys get mottling...it's one of their characteristics. So if he doesn't have any appy in his immediate pedigree then I'd rule it out.

Here are my two complete with dark legs, dark heads, leg baring, shoulder strips and dorsal stripes
default_smile.png
Max (right) also carries silver so thats why his mane and tail are not black

maxandhisrally.jpg

maxandlady.jpg

and my other mare whos is basically full sister to the above mare just not pinto

tina.jpg

Jill---

LOVE Dunit! He's a gorgeous boy! Are you sure he's appy though?? A LOT of greys get mottling...it's one of their characteristics. So if he doesn't have any appy in his immediate pedigree then I'd rule it out.
Thanks :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin DunIT's dam is a silver-grey appaloosa daughter of Yellow Diamond Little Feather. So, he does have appy as close up as it comes
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

This is my Grulla filly John's Little Anna. Her sire is homozygous for black and

her dam is a red dun. She's a gawky yearling right now....
default_smile.png
)

~Sandy

JohnsLittleAnna3.jpg

LittleAnnaJacob.jpg

LittleAnnaWOWstamp.jpg

LITTLEANNASTAMP2.jpg

LittleAnna2Jacob.jpg

Little Anna is a Black Dun, isn’t that the definition of Grulla?

She tested negative, no agouti. She has the yellow winter coat.

?????

~Sandy

my horse is a black but during the winter he turns a light brownish color and he has a dorsal stripe. but he is an appy

Here are pics of the grullo colt I had born here last year..... The bottom pic was at a fun show in October- please pardon the 'Yak Look'. Good grief, I have lost weight since then too!!!

Dream06coltstripe.jpg

Dream06coltfrlegsstripe.jpg

Dream06coltbcklegsstripe.jpg

Dream06coltshowLaurie.jpg

I agree the pretty filly looks Black, not Grulla- Blacks often have that false dorsal stripe.

mouse2.jpg

Mouse as a two year old- by Red Dun o/o a Grulla- Roan

428f6114.jpg

Grulla foal.

BlueDunsDogs037.jpg

Very cross Grulla mare in winter woollies- this is Mouses dam, Precious, Mouse looks just like her now and is almost as woolly but not quite as cross!!

This is SF Peppys Dun It Right aka 'Curly Bob'. Just broken to drive by Ashley Harris and destined for the show ring next year in country pleasure. He is such a good boy.
BobDrive.jpg

Yup Sandy! That is the definition! I love Grulla/o's! So neat!

Gage

Look at all the pretty colored horsies!!! They are all neat. But have to say Jody that Curly Bob sure is looking mighty fine there driving!

Latest posts

Back