Can I see pictures of your "Aged" stallions, please?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMenagerie

Reaction score
I'm still looking at stallion prospects for my little program. I'm looking at all different ages; newborn through older. On the young guys (2-3 years old) I can tell whether they're what I'm looking for or not...they're still trim & sleek, so I can see their lines & angles easier, and can see whether they're thick-necked, thick-bodied, stubby-legged, etc. Because at that age they shouldn't be "thick" yet; if they're thick young, they'll always be thick!

But I'm having a tough time with telling what is "OK" or not on aged stallions stallion. I know with age, horses, like people, tend to get thicker, lumpy & saggy in various areas. My problem is that I can't tell if "back in the day" he was a good quality boy & age has simply effected his look and thickened things up. Or if he was poorer quality to start with & now he's just a low quality old boy. Adding to that, most older boys are no longer being shown, so are not in show condition like the young ones. So they're overall chubbier & just not as conditioned as the young ones I'm looking at; are in pasture condition.

I know that overall conformation doesn't change with age. But I'm having a tough time seeing through the age & changes it's made on them, and seeing the horse underneath & whether he is just a fat version of a good quality horse, or if he's just a fat mini!

If you have pictures of your good-quality older boys 15+ years old, that you'd be willing to post, that would be wonderful & oh-so-helpful! And if you have "before & after"/ "young & old" pictures, that would be even better! Then I can see what good quality ones look like when they age & kindof know what to look for or aviod in my ventures.

Thanks so much
default_smile.png

PS. Does anybody know what happened to that old thread that used to be on the forum, where somebody had put all different pictures of horses with descriptions and lines showing good & bad parts & angles of their conformation? I'm pretty sure it used to be on the youth board. Can't seem to find the thread anywhere now though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Timber Ridges Dazzle is 18 and is now starting to show his age.

I sold him early in the year 2009 and he was used quite extensively.

Due to a family tragedy the buyer asked me if I would like to purchase him back and I was pleased to do so.

It will take a while I think for him to get back in condition. His backbone is showing and the crest has slightly fallen in one spot.

The crest part likely will not improve but I think (I hope) I can get his body back to good condition.

387881288.jpg
He is a great little guy and always puts a tiny correct pinto babies on the ground ....................and for me.....mostly fillies
wub.gif

Just my opinion, but I think the really good ones pretty much stay looking good till over 20 and beyond unless they are allowed to get grossly overweight. Their bone structure doesn't change and their proportions don't change.

I can tell you, Cowboy is tighter and trimmer today, at 13 than when these pictures were made (I can't read the date on this one, but he was around 7 or 9 and straight out of his pen...hadn't had any kind of conditioning since age 2)
CowboyLiz3-500X.jpg
The good ones just keep 'the look'.

Skipper is the same way. I think his photos on our web site (the ones made here by LittleHouse Photography) were done when he was around 9. He hasn't changed one bit. He is 12 years old. I'm hoping there will be time to get some 'at liberty' shots of him next week when we have our farm shoot.

I know these horses aren't as old as you are wanting to see pictures of so I'm going to look forward to seeing pictures of more 'mature' gentlemen. I know Redrock had a gorgeous aged stallion who is now in ...France I think. Maybe she will post.

Charlotte

BTW, Cowboy is 25 1/2" and standing in deep grass in that picture.

Shadowplay%20Mighty%20Atom%20xx.jpg

Rabbit at 25

atom%20lk.jpg

Rabbit at 31....well, rising 31, his actual birthday is in September. He stands 28" to the withers.

Here is the stallion Charlotte mentioned above, Harts Tip Top Flash 31.75".

PondFlashPari026.jpg

Pictured last summer at 16 years of age, Flash is now in Germany and his first German born foals are expected next year.

PondFlashPari027.jpg

I think Flash is even more beautiful as he aged.

PondFlashPari021.jpg

Here is Star Strucks Phantom at age 5 when he won a Reserve National Grand Championship in halter-he was a National Champion Sr. Stallion and a National Champion Model Stallion.

phantom.jpg

And here he is this year at age 15 with no conditioning or sweating-just good feeding and genetics!

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

Phantom8.jpg

Phantom5.jpg

Here is another stallion that we used to own. His name is Brewers Dark Magic and he was a 1984 29" black stallion that was a herdsire for the Brewers for quite a few years before going to Lucky Hart. He produced a lot of really great broodmares and I have 3 that I kept that will never leave this farm.

Magic at age 18 (excuse the cluttered background!)

Magic_1.jpg

Magic at age 20:

Magic04.jpg

Here is my Tiny Acres Rambo at 2 years old in 1990

rambo.jpg

And driving back in 1992at 4 years old

ramboandme1992.jpg

At 15 years

rambo15years3.jpg

And last year at 21 years.

rambo21yrs.jpg

He is in excellent health and still very active.

Susan O.

Here is my Tiny Acres Rambo at 2 years old in 1990

rambo.jpg

And driving back in 1992at 4 years old

ramboandme1992.jpg

At 15 years

rambo15years3.jpg

And last year at 21 years.

rambo21yrs.jpg

He is in excellent health and still very active.

Susan O.
Nice thread_I don't have any old stallions or photos to post, but I really enjoy looking at the "senior citizens"-they are all really incredible looking.It would be nice to see some of them at some of the shows.

Yes indeedy! Hemlock Broocks CockRobin!
default_wub.png

He is one of my very favorites and that's why both of my stallions are his grandsons!

CockRobinBodyProf.jpg

This is our senior boy Tinker Toys Fiesta at 17 yrs old. Taken in pasture condition. He is 20 this year and I am going to do updated photos of him. He still looks about the same just more graying now...
Picnik%20collage.jpg

This was our Kewpie's Pepito Of Arenosa-36.75" when he was in his teens!

Pepito.jpg

This was him last year when he turned 25-years-old!

Pepito1-1.jpg

and

Pepito2.jpg

This year he is 26-years-young and still acts like a youngster!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
...Pepito is 100% Arenosa and was bred by Audrey Barrett and is a full brother to Kewpie's El Monterry Of Arenosa!!!

He is in many pedigree's of ASPC/AMHR and AMHR horses and has many HOF(Hall of Fame) winners too!

We are pretty proud of him!..can ya tell?
default_wub.png

Thanks,

Jenny and Mel

He's gorgeous, Jenny!!

And Thanks Toni!! :)

Susan O.

Even though I personally don't consider Jimmy to be aged. Believe he doesn't either. Here is a picture taken yesterday driving him for the first time out on roads from my place with the help of some good friends. Susanne, Keith and Darrell. Darrell is the local photographer.LOL

Jackpot Farms Jimmy Dolittle

DrivingJimmy2.jpg

Here is a picture of my guy at 16. Long Shots Texas Lakota never saw the inside of a show ring, was never show-conditioned...but was a Champion to me...and his foals are horses to be proud of.

Sadly I lost him to an allergic reaction to penicillan last October, at the age of 18. I still miss him so badly.
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

Tex08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He's gorgeous, Jenny!!

And Thanks Toni!! :)

Susan O.
Thanks Susan!
default_smile.png
...we are lucky I suppose as so far he has stayed in very good health and we are expecting 3 foals in the coming weeks into the end of June sired by him. Echo our 23-year-old has lost a lot of weight this spring, so we are afraid something is up with him(vet will be coming to check him here soon) and of course we lost our dear, Rango last Feb from cancer at only 19-years-old...so you never know how long they will last. Just enjoy them while you have them!!
default_yes.gif

I really think all the stallions are wonderful and it's a credit to their stamina, vigor, genitics and the owners of all these stallions who have taken such good care of them...

CONGRATS to ALL
default_aktion033.gif

Blessings,

Jenny and Mel

Here is my old guy Grays Smoke Signal at about 8 or so, then again at 18. He is 20 this year and starting to show his age some, but still full of life and such a good boy.

Bob.jpg

BobHarnessShow408.jpg

BobHeadShow408.jpg

Back