Can I buy/order TREES on the internet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
I need a Japanese Maple tree as a Christmas present for my sister. That is what she wants. Do you know of any internet sites that are good, to order one?

Thanks!

Robin

I normally buy mine in person from the Japanese Garden sale they have once a year in this area.

Think the best thing to do to find a good quality Japanese Maple... is see if you have a Japanese garden near you and ask them.
default_wink.png

If your sister lives in your area, I'd go to a local nursery.......as suggested.

If not, there are many catalog nurseries, but they aren't cheap. One of the best is:

http://www.waysidegardens.com/

Try the Arbor day farms for information: 888-448-7337 arborday.org They are tree experts & have lots of information & trees available.

They can answer any questions you might have.

Our County Agricultural Agent has said it is better to buy locally than on the internet. On buying a tree, it needs to be accustomed to the soil and climate of the place where it will grow and mature in order for it to be a strong and healthy specimen.

If there is a Garden Center near where your sister lives, it would be better to buy from that place. Plus, shipping and delivery can be more expensive, and the tree might be mishandled in transit.

When I worked at the nursery here are a few places we ordered from

Lawyer nursery

Fairfield tree nursery

Schmidt

Sherman

Monrovia-(I think this place we ordered container plants, very nice plants but expensive!!!!)

Now this was about 5-6 years ago!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
I know we ordered alot(not all) of bare root and planted it our selves in our own soil mix. Also this was a very big nursery so when we placed an order it was huge!!!! Will they sell a single tree?????? I don't know but it's worth a try!
default_wink.png

What a great gift!!!! I have a green lace leaf that I found in the garbage and has now been part of my garden for 8 years!

Good luck!!!!

Leya

Last edited by a moderator:
It's better to get plants locally, as nurseries (usually) choose varities suited to your locale.

You could try calling your local extension or the local nurseries and asking if they know if the plant is a good fit for your area or not. They might be able to help you obtain one too.

Back