Can horses get ear mites????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotsofspots

Reaction score
I just read the post from Suz on her itchy horse to see if I could try something different on my own boy....he rubs his ears on the fence, on the stall door...anywhere. I have looked and looked and can't see anything in them. He is rubbing the hair off the edges! I have been putting Desitin in his ears to moisturize (this worked on a horse I had a LONG time ago)....does anyone know if horses get ear mites like cats and dogs do? Thanks!

I'm not sure if they can get mites- have you tried deworming with Ivermectin? It kills mites in guinea pigs. You have to deworm again in about ten days to kill anything else that hatches.

Lucy

Horses can also rub their ears due to ticks, which may be down deep in their ears.

Years ago I had a young filly do this. Had the vet out and sure enough she had an ear infection. Put her on smz's and she was better right away. Until then I didnt even know they got ear infections. Sending good thoughts!

Kay

Thanks to everyone for their replies! I may have to get the vet out for a professional opinion. I have looked and felt pretty far down in his ears and can't find anything....and I didn't know they could get ear infections, either! Thanks again.

When I was showing quarter horses our yearling filly did come down with ear mites. The vet said it was unusual but not unheard of for horses to get them. Specially in our area.

Our filly was not happy about having her ears cleaned and the drops put in her ears but it cleared up and we never had another issue again.

Latest posts

Back