Can anyone tell me what color this stallion is?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windwalker

Reaction score
Hi,,What color is this stallion? AMHA say cremello but he dont have blue eyes..AMHR says white..His sire is a solid grey and his dam is a cremello..

Last edited by a moderator:
You can.t possibly know for sure without color testing, but he looks like he carries sabino(the mottling on his eyes). That could also give him the pink nose, as if he had the wide white facial marking, it would give him the pink skin in that area. He may carry grey if his one parent did. Also, have you checked on the colors of the "cremello" dam's parents to ensure it is even possible she is cremello?

Dun is completely separate from the cream gene. So, if the sire was really dun and not a cream dilute, the dam is not really a cremello. That said, he could have been misregistered. It happens all the time.
default_wacko.png
I would guess your boy is gray though based on the fact he has a gray sire. Was he born white?

Hi ,,I'm not sure if he was born white but on his AMHR Papers they have white..I was thinking about buying this guy but I was told he was a cremello,,but when I got his pictures and both his eyes are dark I knew he wasnt a cremello but didnt really know what color..On his hip you can tell he has little black speckles on his skin under the hair...He has sired white,dun,grey,chesnut,red roan,sorrel,cremello,palomino and brown foals. Thanks

Well I bet he is a palomino or dunalino sabino roan. I am going to post pics here of a colt born here this year. He was born red, and by the time I clipped him, he was VERY, VERY light colored from all the sabino roaning. He also developed the eye mottling and some on his body too, and under his tail. His dam is a wildly marked Sabino. Let me dig up some pics. But really, with that stallion you are looking at, there is just no way of knowing without color testing. You don;lt have photos of him as a youngster, or pics of his parents, and you can't always go by the colors listed in the studbooks either.

OK, here are some pics of the colt I mentioned in my earlier post.

At birth:

birth.jpg

Clipped:

clipped1.jpg

clipped2.jpg

clipped3.jpg

Mottling under tail:

mottling.jpg

Mottling on Body:

mottling2.jpg

Mottling on eye:

mottling3.jpg

I'm following this topic, I've also opend a topic about that white color.

Great picture of the stallion as a foal...

How old is he on that first picture(complete white)??

He cannot be double dilute (cremello, perlino, smokey cream) without crystal blue eyes. I think he must be some kind of max white sabino? But I am sure he is not double dilute.

In the picture he is clipped and it is pretty well impossible to even guess a horses colour from a clipped picture!!!

He could well just be a pale Palomino with a wide Sabino face marking, there is no way of telling from a head picture of a clipped animal.

I am with Mona in that I think he is a maximum sabino. I have a stallion here that is listed as grey on his papers and looks very much like yours. Do you have photos of his sire that was listed as grey? Have you seen your horse's sire's parents? If neither the grandsire or granddam of your horse's sire is grey than he couldn't have been either which would mean that your horse couldn't be grey.

Mona ...I did find out that this little stud has the mottling under his tail ,mouth,and eyes like your little one..He was born white..He has gotten more of the mottling as he got older..If he is a max sabino what mares do I not want to breed him to and is there anyway he would have to be tested for LWO? Thanks

Pigeon River Miniatures

www.freewebs.com/kolorspots

His sire is- NFC Egyptain King's Topsider - He is grey

His Dam is -Schmidts Lone Star Silver Cloud- AMHA/AMHR has her listed as a cremello

Every chance with that breeding he is a Silver White / Grey.

That would explain it all.

Well there are tests for grey, sabino, cream, you can also test to see if he is red or black based. I wouldn't doubt if he is some sory of palomino(greyed to white) sabino. Yes, I would also test for LWO. If he is sabino, it doesn;t matter what you breed him to...sabino is safe, it's the LWO that will kill. That's why it is important to test for that one. If he is a true grey, then statisaticly, 50% of his foals will grey to white, no matter what color they are at birth. I personally LOVE the looks of a nice true grey horse, however, I decided not to keep any in my herd as I prefer pinto patterned horses, and it is sad when you have all that beautiful color fade to white.

Is there a commercially available test for Grey??

My mind has gone blank.......

*[SIZE=8pt]nothing new there, then........[/SIZE]*

Is there a commercially available test for Grey??My mind has gone blank.......
Now Jane don't do this to me or I'll be thinking I am losing it too!
default_wink.png
Yes, as far as I know, I thought just within the last few months or so, they developed a test for grey, but maybe not...maybe it is ME losing it!
default_wacko.png

OK Jane, i just checked equinetesting.com and yes, most definately they have the gray color test available.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back