Can anyone refresh my memory about AMHR rule

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzE

Reaction score
are the children required to wear one? My girls are doing leadline this year and they are going to wear their helmets but I was wondering if it is actually required. For those that are familiar will they look silly sitting in their western saddles with an english helmet on?

Helmets are required for any child riding a horse in ANY class, AMHR or ASPC, INCLUDING COSTUME. Helmets are now also required for Youth Roadster.

I don't think they look silly at all for the western riders, and there are a whole bunch of spiffy helmet covers out there now.

My son rode in leadline this weekend and he wore a helmet.

The other child in the class did not. Nobody, including the judges seemed

to think it was a problem.

I asked Zona personally this Spring about it and she told me they definitely

DO need to wear helmets. But when I brought this up at the show (NOT

to get the other child in trouble, but because I really need to know!) I was told

that the rule is not clear.

I can foresee this causing a lot of confusion, especially if the judges do not

know of the new rule. Perhaps children coming to Nationals without helmets

and not being allowed to ride which would be a shame.

Shelley

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hope to hear more on this. It's a sore point with me. I'm from the generation that "lived" through no helmets, no pads, etc. I realize that this is an age where everyone sues and THAT is the biggest reason for "requiring" all the safety equipment.

The AMHR rulebook reads as follows: "Leadline Horse to 38" and under. Rider to be six years old or younger. Leader must be 16 years of age or older. Horse to be led bother ways of the ring, to line up and stand quietly. To be judged on rider's ability to handle and aid the horse. Mares and geldings only, no stallions. Entry is made in the name of the rider."

If somewhere they have inserted a helmet rule please tell me where to find it. My grandchildren are going to ride this year. I would never put them on a horse that would react badly. I feel they deserve the right to enjoy the class without all of the adult fears being heaped on them.

Ok, flame away!

Hi Sandee,

The helmet rule went into effect at the beginning of this year (January 2007), it was printed in the Journal and is in the supplement rulebook from the Registry. This rule came about when a youth, at the ASPC Congress had a run away with a roadster pony. That child (11 years old) was wedged between the seat and the Apron (thank goodness for that), her head was almost through the hole between the seat and apron. Had she NOT had a helmet on she would had been hurt seriously. I know helmets ARE required in Roadster, but as with any Ridding or Driving class accidents can and do happen. This new rule was brought before the BOD back in 2005, anyone putting on shows could put that new rule into their show premium books with it being an OPTION to wear a helmet until the rule went into effect January 1st, 2007. Our club did and most everyone that rides (and we do have a large youth group that rides here in Area V) and drives have their required helmets. I do support this rule. I too came from the same era you did, I did my fair share of crazy stupid stuff that could have gotten my head kicked off but you hit the nail on the head...Lawsuits...and as a person who is in the insurance profession I know all too well about what can happen with lawsuits.

At our shows we make the announcements the entire weekend in regards to the helmet rule so no excuses that the judges don't know (again they should know if they have their supplement rule book). Our club has even purchased extra helmets that a child can rent for the weekend if they participate in any ridding or driving class that doesn't have one. This way they won't be disqualified before they ever enter the ring. Yes, if any child comes to Congress or Nationals without a helmet they will not be allowed to particiate in those classes. The rule also goes on to say ANYONE who so desires to wear a helmet, whether adult or youth, can do so without being pentalized.

Hope this helps.

Karen

If somewhere they have inserted a helmet rule please tell me where to find it. My grandchildren are going to ride this year. I would never put them on a horse that would react badly. I feel they deserve the right to enjoy the class without all of the adult fears being heaped on them.
Of course you wouldn't put them on a horse that you knew would not behave. However, you must realize that every horse is unpredictable! Also, a head injury is such a serious thing which can lead to a lifetime of handicaps or death. Why wouldn't you want to protect a kid from that? I've taught riding at camp where helmets are required for anyone on a horse and I can tell you, they do enjoy riding with helmets. It doesn't make them extra fearful or anything. It is just how they ride there and it doesn't keep them from having fun at all.

As Pony Clubbers, my three children had "Every ride, every time" drilled into them. I was the only one in my Friday trail ride group who wore a helmet every ride, and what few brains I have left are thanks to that.

I know in my heart it would be wonderful if every driver, especially the Youth, wore a helmet for every driving class (a requirement for Youth showing in any ADS competition), but it's hard to get past the image of all those recycled prom dresses under a riding helmet!!! :bgrin :new_shocked: :bgrin

I would never have a child on a horse, any horses, without a helmet.

Although i grew up riding without one as I have a funny sized head, when the kids started riding I had to have one made for me as I was not allowed to ride without one if they were not!!

(Seems fair)

A young friend of mine was killed on the road in an accident where her perfect horse was shot with an airgun by a little darling in a house window- the horse went berserk and Hannah was thrown and hit her head on the curb.

She was 15 years old.

Anything that can happen, will happen.

No child in England is allowed to ride on any showground, anywhere, or any Pony Club event etc without a helmet.

In fact I have never been to a show where ANYONE adult or child is allowed to be mounted without a helmet- it is just second nature.

We had one instance where Isabell , who was not quite toilet trained at the time, ended up riding her Shetland round the showground wearing a pair of red wellington boots and a helmet!! All the rest of her clothes plus five pairs of knickers were drying out on the front of the car.

Mind you that was over thirty years ago- I doubt it would be safe to allow a two year old to ride around naked nowadays!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back