Can any mini be taught to drive

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Need some help with figuring out if my mini is the right size to drive. She is almost 3 and she is 31 inches tall and has a stout body. Is there a weight limit minis can pull and also how many people? All info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Linda

Has more to do with temperament than size. You do best with a calm steady horse.

Your's is large enough to pull one person comfortably and when in shape two people for short periods.

Person will state all sorts of weight rules, but in my experience, 1 - 2 Xs their weight (including the cart weight) is about right.

It really depends more on body type than height. My little gelding is only 29.5 inches but quite stocky. He happily pulls who ever gets into the cart. If you know what to look for then your horse will tell you what is too much. I also agree that it has more to do with the horse's attitude.

We have a 32" mare that is too refined to pull both me and my neice. We went out with her and as long as we were on the flat she was OK. However, as we got out on the drive she could not do the hills with both of us. I got out and walked. But a friend of mine has a 29" stud that carries a bit more bone than my mare and he can pull 2 adults on small hills. Like the others have said, it is more build and condition.

Like the others have said, it is more build and condition.

Yes, please do remember conditioning!! If a horse is out of shape, (ie, not used to pulling a cart or much exercise) he/she won't be able to pull as much weight, for very long. Work a horse slowly into shape. A well-conditioned horse of the same size of an out of shape one can pull more weight more easily.
default_smile.png

Something to keep in mind too is that any horse that is having trouble pulling you up hill is going to have trouble going down as well. It is harder to keep the cart back off them and it could literally push them over. The simple solution is to get out and walk if necessary.

The better condition your horse is in, the more he can do. We have a 31" gelding that is medium build. He does cart rides for us all the time and loves it. He can't wait to go once his harness is on. We have to actually hold him back to a walk because he wants to go. If doing rides, he will stand quiet with his head on my (or someone's)lap, but as soon as someone gets into the cart, he is head up and ready to go. We do about 3 min rides and he will do 8 or 10 of those back to back and never slow down and most of the time he won't even break a sweat unless it is a really warm day.

As for the question "Can any mini be taught to drive?" I think that most of them can. We have yet to have one that was impossible, but some had to wait an extra year or two. We try to start them with ground driving in harness when they are about 2 1/2 to 3 years old. Some are not ready and then we back off for sometimes up to 2 or 3 years and do other things with them. We now have one that is 11 and we are finally getting back to working with him and he is doing well. He has been doing saddle rides for us for 8 years, but hated the harness and cart.

Your little mare will do well. Just take the time to know what she is capable of and to get her in the best possible condition for what you are asking of her. She may just surprise you. Just be careful on downhills, because she is only capable of stopping so much. Sort of like putting a 30ft trailer full of lumber behind my little dakota pickup. I might be able to pull it, but Lord help me if I have to stop--especially on a downhill.

Good luck and have fun

Angie

Latest posts

Back