Can a mare have milk

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srpwildrose

Reaction score
I have been watching Glitterbug for a couple weeks, she is due this week-into next week...............I have never seen any movement at all...........not too much bag, but there is definatly milk. Some days she looks in foal, other days, I think she is just on the chubby side...........so back and forth, back and forth.................now theres milk...................would I assume she is "definatly in foal?????"

This pic was taken 4 weeks ago. She is 30" and stallion is 28".

Thanks in advance for your advice.

111_1196-270x203.jpg

The short answer is yes, a mare can have milk and not be in foal. I have one that has milk year round, foal or no foal.

Your mare does look pregnant though. Of course, I have a mare that also looks pregnant year around, foal or no foal (same mare, although she did produce a great filly this year.) I'd keep an eye on your girl just to be safe.

Yep, we have experienced this many times. Mares that have had babies before will have milk year round some times. Their milk tests ready but they actually aren't even bred. But by the picture i would say your mare is bred.

:aktion033:

Thanks guys............I think she looks in foal too.

I'll let ya all know the outcome soon (I hope).

I also used to own a mare who had milk all the time, in foal or not. It was not very milky looking, just kind of milk-tinted color but it was always there.

AUGH. This is exactly the kind of thing I did NOT want to come across! I've been watching two mares that are due this week, and since they have a half-full udder and some milk I've been just SURE that there would be foals soon. Pregnant? Not Pregnant? I've done this for weeks now...Geez. Just one more thing to make me doubt. I hope they are feeling pretty smug about all the special treatment they've been getting.

Stacye

AUGH. This is exactly the kind of thing I did NOT want to come across! I've been watching two mares that are due this week, and since they have a half-full udder and some milk I've been just SURE that there would be foals soon. Pregnant? Not Pregnant? I've done this for weeks now...Geez. Just one more thing to make me doubt. I hope they are feeling pretty smug about all the special treatment they've been getting.

Stacye

Stacye-If the mare didn't have a bag, or milk before it's a much better 'sign' of pregnancy. Although Kaykay did have a mare that bagged up and produced milk when she hadn't had it before but still wasn't pregnant. I think that's more rare though. If your mares didn't have bags and milk before, I'd consider it a fair early sign, and watch for more advanced developement as the moment draws nearer.

Yes, as many have said before me a mare can have milk and not be pregnant, she could also be having a false pregnancy. Maybe you should have her Vet checked.

Joyce

Latest posts

Back