Can a mare have a milk bag and not be bred?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I3Emommy

Reaction score
So after all of your opinions and speaking with the original owner of my mare I had given up hope of having a foal.......so my dad stops over today and sees my mare for the first time. He didn't know anything about the possiblity of her being bred and the first thing he says is "when is she due" I explained to him I didn't think she is bred and is just a fatty
default_smile.png
Then he says"I'm pretty sure she is look she has a milk bag" My dad is no expert but he did have mares that foaled as a child (they were full size horses) So now I'm letting some hope creep back in. So now my question is can she have a bag and not be pregnant?

horses 005.JPG

horse 013.JPG

Short answer. YES! I have a mare that never totally dries up. She will also take any foal. She has had 4 foals and is now 9. The milk that is easily expressed is white but is a bit watery.

So that doesn't look like the bag of a pregnant mare? She would HAVE to be due in 3 weeks, with her 4th foal.

The only thing you can do is take photos every 3-4 days and see if she changes. Some mares bags never go down totally after having a few foals

I thought that was what was going on Eagle. Just a bit of saggy booby syndrome like us human mommies. My dad just had to get me wondering again!!!

Hi I3 good to see you here! Have you tried an blood or urine test? At least it would put your mind at ease

I talked to 4 local vets and all of them said either a blood test would take 3-4 weeks to come back as it has to be sent out and a urine test won't be accurate this late in the game
default_sad.png

I talked to 4 local vets and all of them said either a blood test would take 3-4 weeks to come back as it has to be sent out and a urine test won't be accurate this late in the game
default_sad.png

Do we notice any difference in her bag? I don't think so but I wondered what ya'll think. I wanted to add the pic from the back, whether it be a foal or just fat she is carrying something a whole lot to one side
default_smile.png
So what do we think preggers or just a fatty?

horses 004.JPG

horses 013.JPG

horses 012.JPG

horses 009.JPG

I am putting the photos together as it is easier to see.

/monthly_08_2011/post-43868-0-90867700-1312481189_thumb.jpg

/monthly_08_2011/post-43868-0-13439000-1312764134_thumb.jpg

I don't think so, is this a week later? I think she looks one sided bc she is resting a back leg. Lets see in another weeks time
yes.gif

P.S your dog is adorable

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking not ... at this point in time.
default_sad.png
Sorry

She doesn't seem to have any edema in front of her bag either.

Pays to keep a close eye on her .... she wouldn't be the first

mini mare to surprise someone...They pretty much write the book

on surprises.

I will most definatlely be keeping an eye on her. Me and the girls play with her and our little donkey Willy everyday. They are so loved!!!!

Latest posts

Back