Camera Systems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Well let's just put it this way - I have my birthday coming up and I am going to be looking into getting a foaling camera. I only need one camera as it is only one stall and I need it to have night vision. I will need it to reach about 100ft distance if it is wireless and I would like to be able to watch it on my TV in my bedroom but my computer in the living room is fine too. 

I am also going to be wanting to use a mare foaling alarm (one of those that goes around the head/neck) in addition with this so I am not staring hours and hours onto the screen 
default_laugh.png

So what camera systems and foaling alarms do you like best?

Well let's just put it this way - I have my birthday coming up and I am going to be looking into getting a foaling camera. I only need one camera as it is only one stall and I need it to have night vision. I will need it to reach about 100ft distance if it is wireless and I would like to be able to watch it on my TV in my bedroom but my computer in the living room is fine too. 
I am also going to be wanting to use a mare foaling alarm (one of those that goes around the head/neck) in addition with this so I am not staring hours and hours onto the screen 
default_laugh.png

So what camera systems and foaling alarms do you like best?
My experience with cameras that say nightvision are not what you think. A light over the stall works best ... period.

My formula......any camera with good picture and MARESTARE.COM for sure!

No need for the foaling alarm as people will call you day and night to let you know when they think she is in labor, when the camera is down, when you forget to turn the light on (or camera on) in the barn and they can't see, etc etc etc! There are MANY people that watch 24/7 and from around the world in different time zones. I work full time and sleep like a baby anyway when mares are due, that's how much I rely on the good people that watch the mares on Marestare.com

ABSOLUTE WIRED! Night vision is excellent with wired! I got my camera from www.supercircuits.com I am a marestarer and I saw a cameras picture that I loved, so I e-mailed the farm. This is where she had bought the camera from. I called them, they are awesome to talk too, they will ask you what you need and the price was so reasonable! My camera is awesome! My husband has since bought security cameras for his work from them. If nothing else, call and talk to them. My night vision was excellent!

We have a wireless system with 3 or 4 cams that plugs directly into the tv we got at Costco for $150. Works great. if you have a tin roof you might not be able to use wireless. Thats with a wood barn about 150ft from the house.

I also have a wired single cam into my carport barn thats about 100ft from my house. I got the cam off ebay for about $40. It works great. I tried a wireless at my barn and I have a carport barn and a 2 car carport between the house and barn, too much tin for it to go through.

I haven't used marestare myself but I have watched it and made some friends on there its a great idea.

If I can help let me know.

Karen

I'm not sure if providing links here to vendors is still acceptable, so if you need a recommendation on a great wireless system just email me.

I do agree that wired is going to be the most reliable for picture quality. I have suggested the cameras at Harbor Freight (use keyword camera) they have a weatherproof, color camera that is less than $50. We have several customers that use these and they are clear and have been reliable. I have been told that they don't hold up year after year, but we haven't seen that ourselves yet. And if they last 2 years..at less than $50/camera I think they're worth the try.

You don't have to spend a fortune on a camera system. You can use an old camcorder (provided it's protected from weather) and run cables to your house (again protected). I've seen several farms do this for a temporary solution. The camcorder doesn't have to be functional as far as it's ability to record...it just needs to run.

If you plan to stream online you will also need a video capture device. They run approx $50 as well. So it can all be done fairly inexpensively...and give you alot of peace of mind.

Feel free to drop me an email if you need help.

Latest posts

Back