Calling all you experts...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flmiller

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm trying to make the best decision for my herd. I'm confused when it comes to the

West Nile dilemma. Should you or shouldn't you? My vet says yes but I've heard so many say not to give it. What is the basis for this disagreement? I'm still only a couple years into this and just want to do what's best. Thanks so much for any much appreciated insight.

Liz
default_smile.png

Your location should be the biggest deciding factor.

California has the highest incidence of WNV ....

Check out this map from the CDC:

2005 West Nile Virus Activity

Bear in mind that the map is documenting ALL cases of WNV, equine, human, avian, and other hosts.

The number of equines affected by WNV would only be a portion of the overall total.

This has also been a dilema for us. We have chosen to give the WN. There was one case last year I believe in our state. Our decision was based on this. Was it worth losing a horse over a shot that cost less than $15 to give. In our eyes NO.

On the other end in the last 2 years I have bought a few horses from breeders that have large herds and do not vaccinate at all and never have. They seem willing to take these risk. Personal choice. All of those horses came to us in very good healthy condition as weanlings and were immediately started on a vaccination schedule.

Some breeders give mininimal, some all, some nothing. Vaccination is mainly in my eyes something personal. It is a choice every breeder has to make and live with.

Good Luck

Traci

One other thing I wanted to add. Potomac Horse Fever. We have been giving this for years. A friend of minee is a vet and she stopped giving it a few years ago to her herd(she raises quarter horses). She said there hasn't been an outbreak of Potomac Horse Fever in many years.

The only recent outbreak that I have heard is in isolated spots of Wisconsin and that is an outbreak of RHINO.

Traci

We live in Michigan and vaccinate ours. We bought three mares last year that were pregeant and the vet did tell us to wait until they foaled to vaccinate them. We met a guy last year that was selling all of his horse equipment and he lost 2 horses to west nile and said that he will never own another horse, that what the horses went through was horrible and he feels guilty for not spending the $15! Some of our horses only get west nile.
default_smile.png

All of mine here in OK are vaccinted for WN. I prefer the Merial Recombitek vaccine. I won't vaccinate a mare in late term pregnancy. I wait until after she foals, then vaccinate. I've not had any problems doing this and no cases of West Nile either. Knock on wood....

Your location should be the biggest deciding factor WE BELIEVE THIS IS VERY TRUE. WE LIVE NEAR OKLA CITY AND WE DON'T VACCINATE ANY HORSES FOR WEST NILE AND AND HAVE A HERD OF 60 + AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. THE ONLY YEAR WE DID VACCINATE WE HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH OUR MARES .

Your location should be the biggest deciding factor WE BELIEVE THIS IS VERY TRUE. WE LIVE NEAR OKLA CITY AND WE DON'T VACCINATE ANY HORSES FOR WEST NILE AND AND HAVE A HERD OF 60 + AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. THE ONLY YEAR WE DID VACCINATE WE HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH OUR MARES .

Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate the input. I was wondering Bob, what kind of problems you had with your mares after giving it?

Sorry about copying your post...still trying to learn how to use the forum!
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks,

Liz

I have used the West Nice vac by Ft.Dodge since it came out.My vet had 1 of the test herds here in DE.I have never had any problems with any of my horses who got it including foals.I have used probably over 200 shots since I started several years ago.

I have used the West Nice vac by Ft.Dodge since it came out.My vet had 1 of the test herds here in DE.I have never had any problems with any of my horses who got it including foals.I have used probably over 200 shots since I started several years ago.

I also use the Ft Dodge vaccine, it's what the closest vet carries. I've been using it since it was first available here in Montana. The last two years, my horses have gotten the West Nile combo shot (WN, E&W encelphalitis and tetanus), my horses don't go anywhere, so it's the only shot I give these days. We have 7 fulll-size horses and 4 minis (only 2 of the minis have had their shots, they other two will be started this spring, they are youngsters). We had one mare with a minor swelling at the injection site, other than that, no reactions.

My other vet, treated a case of WN two summers ago, the horse survived, but it was a long treatment. That case was only 50 miles from here, so you bet I vaccinate.

I used the Ft. Dodge for 2 years with no ill effects, I since have ceased using the WNV vaccines as in WA I don't see an issue.

I do vaccinate however... I know those that have never had issues and that is great for them and i know of those who have had issues. Those that havent tend to poo poo those that have but I guess that is just human nature.. to assume if it hasnt happened to them then it wont.

I like Becky dont vaccinate mares in foal and will wait until they foal to give them. This after my own personal experience as well as my vets

I used the Ft. Dodge the first 2 years. Had pretty bad reactions.........sore necks, fevers, off feed, loose stool. Not on all the horses, but I didn't have one horse who didn't have some sort of reaction.

When Merial came out with their Recombitek 2 years ago I switched everyone to that. I had a couple of horses get slightly sore necks that only lasted a couple of hours, but that's it as far as reactions go.

I have vaccinated my mares with the Recombitek when they are at hte 300 day mark, so far so good (knock on wood).

I wouldn't even consider not giving the vaccine. I'm in NM, I live next to an irrigation ditch, and one of my neighbor's has a duck pond that backs up to my property. We have bat houses galore and guinea hens and chickes and the pond is stocked with fish that eat Mosquitos and we still have a mosquito problem. Though last year it wasn't too bad.

We vaccinated with wnv vaccine one year, we had a 50% conception rate that year. All other years we have had at least a 90% conception rate. The wnv shot was the only thing we did differently. I no longer give it and my conception rate is back up where it belongs. We live in PA and my vet swears it wasn't the shot, but nothing else was different that year. I can't afford to have half my mares come up open.
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back